VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 217 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
Subscribed, because I'm going to have to live my dreams vicariously through you. This thing is a masterpiece.

Please, please, please post sound clips. I need more 5-pot warble in my life.

·
Registered
23,185 Posts
Yknow it's a little excessive when a sub 12 second stock car has certain owners complain of lag and "****ty" interior designs.

Ah well. The rest of us remain jealous.
haha yeah, cars have gotten quite fast. I saw an RS3 the other day, must have had some kind of exhaust, maybe muffler delete. Sounded roudy as hell but so good. I'd love to have an Audi turbo 5 at some point.

·
Premium Member
12,573 Posts
god damn son! What you do for a living?!
Had he hand written this post, you wouldn't have been able to read it.

And congrats OP. The car looks really well. Your mods are all very tasteful and thoughtfully planned. The visceral feel from a capable daily driver is key to continued driving happiness, and it's more important than outright performance.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
:laugh:

In response to the OP, the RS3 is so darn cool. I saw one in Birmingham this weekend (don't think it was you, though) and was blown away by how special-yet-stealth it looks cruising in traffic. The first one I ever saw was up in Vancouver last summer, so I was near two folks in this thread who have RS-es but don't think either of them were y'all.

I'd love to get into one of these and would probably even give up my three-pedal stubbornness, but alas I am on a GTI budget these days. Still, this thread kinda gave me enough tingles that I think I may ditch the 4Runner and get back into the MQB platform. :beer:

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
These are super exciting cars, and as usual, yours is a perfect example of a well done RS3!

One interesting aspect on this is that in the last generation 8J platform, the "S" and "RS" versions actually weren't that far apart when tuned with bolt-ons.

The TTS was a ~370hp car in stage 2+ form, and the TTRS was a ~410hp car in stage 2 form. Of course, if you shipped your car to IROZ and had the TTRS rebuilt, it was an 800hp car, but from a bolt-on perspective, the much cheaper "S" model was often the better buy.

In this generation, the S3/TTS are great cars, but these RS models are MONSTERS.

I am leaning toward picking up a used S3 in a year or two, but this just makes me want to bite the bullet and get an RS3. The problem will likely be that used S3's will be ~$28k, whereas used RS3's will be $50k. So we'll see.

Anyway, AWESOME car!

·
Super Moderator
6,967 Posts
This car, with these mods, seems like the ultimate example of what a fast Quattro sedan should be. Personally, I’ve always seen these as a great option if you need one car to do all things very well.. yet yours is just one in a fleet, and it still holds its own.

The only other car I see in this price range/speed category would be the Tesla Performance 3. Such a different experience though, and not *quite* the same sound as that awesome five-cylinder warble :cool:

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

And congrats OP. The car looks really well. Your mods are all very tasteful and thoughtfully planned. The visceral feel from a capable daily driver is key to continued driving happiness, and it's more important than outright performance.

Hahaha. Clever. And true :D

Great write up. :thumbup: My GF is considering one of these, basically in the exact spec you have. Nardo, black out, etc.

Audi has been putting crap tires on their cars lately. My SQ5 came with crap tires on extremely narrow wheels, aftermarket was a must.
A friend of mine got one just like mine “for his wife.” He’s planning some mods but will put it back in stock mode whenever she’s driving it ;)

:laugh:

In response to the OP, the RS3 is so darn cool. I saw one in Birmingham this weekend (don't think it was you, though) and was blown away by how special-yet-stealth it looks cruising in traffic. The first one I ever saw was up in Vancouver last summer, so I was near two folks in this thread who have RS-es but don't think either of them were y'all.

I'd love to get into one of these and would probably even give up my three-pedal stubbornness, but alas I am on a GTI budget these days. Still, this thread kinda gave me enough tingles that I think I may ditch the 4Runner and get back into the MQB platform. :beer:
Even stock they do stand out a bit more than you would think. I’m not in Bham anymore, so wasn’t me.

These are super exciting cars, and as usual, yours is a perfect example of a well done RS3!

One interesting aspect on this is that in the last generation 8J platform, the "S" and "RS" versions actually weren't that far apart when tuned with bolt-ons.

The TTS was a ~370hp car in stage 2+ form, and the TTRS was a ~410hp car in stage 2 form. Of course, if you shipped your car to IROZ and had the TTRS rebuilt, it was an 800hp car, but from a bolt-on perspective, the much cheaper "S" model was often the better buy.

In this generation, the S3/TTS are great cars, but these RS models are MONSTERS.

I am leaning toward picking up a used S3 in a year or two, but this just makes me want to bite the bullet and get an RS3. The problem will likely be that used S3's will be ~$28k, whereas used RS3's will be $50k. So we'll see.

Anyway, AWESOME car!
Thanks Schnell. This generation is incredibly strong with a few mods for sure. I think these cars will depreciate into the 40s pretty quickly.

This car, with these mods, seems like the ultimate example of what a fast Quattro sedan should be. Personally, I’ve always seen these as a great option if you need one car to do all things very well.. yet yours is just one in a fleet, and it still holds its own.

The only other car I see in this price range/speed category would be the Tesla Performance 3. Such a different experience though, and not *quite* the same sound as that awesome five-cylinder warble :cool:
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a great all around, do-it-all type of car. The all weather traction, and traction under full throttle is a revelation compared to the RWD M vehicles.

·
Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
1,527 Posts
Thanks Schnell. This generation is incredibly strong with a few mods for sure. I think these cars will depreciate into the 40s pretty quickly.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It is a great all around, do-it-all type of car. The all weather traction, and traction under full throttle is a revelation compared to the RWD M vehicles.
Any idea how the Haldex holds up to the extra power? I'd be hesitant to pick one of these up off-lease given how prolific tuned examples are. Also, I die a little inside that we didn't get the hatch in North America. The back seat and trunk on these are...not great (then again, I do daily a Miata...).

·
Registered
724 Posts
Any idea how the Haldex holds up to the extra power? I'd be hesitant to pick one of these up off-lease given how prolific tuned examples are. Also, I die a little inside that we didn't get the hatch in North America. The back seat and trunk on these are...not great (then again, I do daily a Miata...).
Would be more worried about how the engine would hold up if its tuned and used.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,399 Posts
Would be more worried about how the engine would hold up if its tuned and used.
They are very strong. Guys are making 750+ horsepower on the completely stock drivetrain (other than software) and nothing is breaking. 1.4 60’ times. There is no doubt longevity would be decreased at this level but nothing is flat out breaking. They are not just S3’s with a different engine, absolutely everything is bigger and stronger. Trans, diff, axles, wheel bearings, everything.

·
Registered
2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate, 2017 Miata RF GT
1,527 Posts
They are very strong. Guys are making 750+ horsepower on the completely stock drivetrain (other than software) and nothing is breaking. 1.4 60’ times. There is no doubt longevity would be decreased at this level but nothing is flat out breaking. They are not just S3’s with a different engine, absolutely everything is bigger and stronger. Trans, diff, axles, wheel bearings, everything.
Yeah, my understanding was that the I5 is very robust. Having said that, I'd still love to see some long-term data.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I thought the 750+ hp cars were all running Iroz turbo kits.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I thought the 750+ hp cars were all running Iroz turbo kits.
The 700+ whp cars are, but there are several 650-700 whp cars running hybrid turbos, which means GTX3586 CHRA machined into the factory compressor and turbine housings. This works very well because the factory housings are huge, the biggest I’ve ever seen on a stock turbo in a gasolone powered car. They are all running high 9s with zero issues from the motor or drivetrain.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So you missed the hybrids that have blown up? Eurocode's died a couple weeks back.
Wow. I guess I did. I had no idea they had an issue with their car. Was it was the one that they ran nines in at water fest? The orange one that APR has is still running great, and that car gets the crap beat out of it.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, the orange one. There were pictures posted on facebook and a couple closed whatsapp groups. Can't remember if there are any pics posted on AZ, but I'll see if I can find them.

There are also a very scary number of these cars that have fueling issues that no tuner really knows how to solve yet. Having a sealed hpfp isn't going to help either.

I am kinda starting to regret getting mine...

The orange car is APR customer’s car. It is stock motor and has never had an issue. It just ran 170 mph in the half mile this past weekend.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...s-APR-Tuned-RS3-Runs-169-MPH-in-the-Half-Mile

I saw these pics but it was over a month ago and from what I read it wasn’t a run of the mill hybrid setup. I saw a post about a full frame turbo being on this motor and it being an “experiment.”

EliteMS has a thread about their stock motor and driveline car doing well. This was in street form with street tires and full interior, etc.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...S3-Runs-10-2-140MPH-Full-Weight-Street-Tires!

Im not the slightest bit phased. GTRs, Supras, 911 turbos all blow up in this power range if things arent done right, particularly early in the development cycle. There is always some inherent risk, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest the engine isn’t up to making 650 whp for an extended amount of time reliably. If you can’t stomach the risk or cost if something goes wrong, sell it. A used long block for my 997 is 25-30k.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Again, my engine blew in July. Too late to sell it, unfortunately. Went with IMS850 with built long block / clutch packs / wavetrac. Car should finally be back in a couple of weeks.
Sorry, I’m responding on my phone between cases. Bummer about your engine. Glad to hear you are making a positive experience out of it. What was your setup that blew and what kind of power/times did it put down?

21 - 40 of 217 Posts