VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #41

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not answering that :) *i should probably already be deleting my posts - if you can pls delete the ones you quoted me in, lol*

I had the common 4k fueling issue for a long time. Ended up replacing the hpfp and hpfp sensor. It seemed fixed for a couple of weeks but ended up blowing the next time it displayed that issue. Apparently one of the injectors went bad because of the fueling issue and cause the engine failure.

Fair enough. I think everybody currently tuning these does a good job. You won the unlucky lottery and had a hardware issue that lead to engine failure.....sucks and nobody’s fault. Reminds me of an Evo 8 buddy back in the day. Drove it stock for years then added an exhaust and tune. Had some sort of catastrophic failure that took the motor out, which blew the transmission case and transfer case in the process. Poor guy. Glad you’re building a beast out of it though.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well this thread took a turn. Post after post on bulletproof yada yada, now engine carnage.
Nothing is incapable of being blown up and I don’t think anybody is suggesting this is the new 4 door GTR. It’s just a fun platform that for the vast majority of people has made a lot of reliable power with relatively little modification. There will always be the unlucky few with underlying hardware issues or production tolerances closer to the edges of the bell curve that will have engine failure in a modest state of modification. Most of my friends who had 1000+ whp GTRs now have one of these things for daily duty, and most are modified and running on E with no issue. YMMV.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
This is part of the problem with guerilla marketing and misinformation that some are putting out intentionally...

For starters, Hank's shop car (IROZ) is a fully built top to bottom motor. This is why it is capable of putting down the power that it does and he is the only person to hit a 9.4xx in the 1/4. The I5 is capable STOCK of handling around the mid to upper 500WTQ area and no more. The rods start bending when you push past that and the only way to alleviate that is to start building internals.

The stock block cars are fine in the mid 550wtq range and will run reliably at that number. The cars Silly Rabbit have been building or supplying are all at the 700whp range with the hybrid turbos but the torque has to be limited. The hybrid snail can make 800whp reliably but that is far beyond the limits of the internals so unless you are building the engine the point is moot. Those numbers are good for about a 9.7xx 1/4 and trap speeds at the 140mph mark.

Any fueling issues are generally a tuning problem or exceeding what the stock pump is capable of. There are simple solutions for this if you are going to be attempting to make these kinds of power levels.

The bottom line is that if the car is tuned correctly and the torque is limited to the above numbers, the drivetrain will remain reliable and functional. SRM's shop car was dyno'd recently at the 700whp 550wtq mark. The redline was raised to 8000rpm and it runs like a Honda all on the hybrid turbo and APR tune. Stay at or below those numbers and all is well.

·
Registered
15,388 Posts
This is part of the problem with guerilla marketing and misinformation that some are putting out intentionally...

For starters, Hank's shop car (IROZ) is a fully built top to bottom motor. This is why it is capable of putting down the power that it does and he is the only person to hit a 9.4xx in the 1/4. The I5 is capable STOCK of handling around the mid to upper 500WTQ area and no more. The rods start bending when you push past that and the only way to alleviate that is to start building internals.

The stock block cars are fine in the mid 550wtq range and will run reliably at that number. The cars Silly Rabbit have been building or supplying are all at the 700whp range with the hybrid turbos but the torque has to be limited. The hybrid snail can make 800whp reliably but that is far beyond the limits of the internals so unless you are building the engine the point is moot. Those numbers are good for about a 9.7xx 1/4 and trap speeds at the 140mph mark.

Any fueling issues are generally a tuning problem or exceeding what the stock pump is capable of. There are simple solutions for this if you are going to be attempting to make these kinds of power levels.

The bottom line is that if the car is tuned correctly and the torque is limited to the above numbers, the drivetrain will remain reliable and functional. SRM's shop car was dyno'd recently at the 700whp 550wtq mark. The redline was raised to 8000rpm and it runs like a Honda all on the hybrid turbo and APR tune. Stay at or below those numbers and all is well.
Are you related to IROZ? I live in Vegas, but I've never seen IROZ's shop. I would love to take a look at it one of these weekends. . . . :D

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Are you related to IROZ? I live in Vegas, but I've never seen IROZ's shop. I would love to take a look at it one of these weekends. . . . :D
LOL no I'm not. I am good friends with Sean at SRM so I get to see a lot of they stuff he does from the ground up. OMG you should see their RS7...

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Jacob your post is perfect. I didn’t feel like going into specifics. Thanks for doing that. There is a lot of animosity and angst amongst tuner fanboys in this small market. I’m not one of them. I want everybody to succeed and push the platform as a whole forward. Love what Sean and Hank have brought to the community as well.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Jacob your post is perfect. I didn’t feel like going into specifics. Thanks for doing that. There is a lot of animosity and angst amongst tuner fanboys in this small market. I’m not one of them. I want everybody to succeed and push the platform as a whole forward. Love what Sean and Hank have brought to the community as well.
Seriously it is something that I never understand. You would think that most of the people that are trying to drive this development and market would at least try to work together to some degree but alas there are some that knowingly try to distort and twist things to their advantage. It's sad.

Your car is fantastic and without question the correct color. Looking forward to future updates as well!

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,358 Posts
I have to admit I knew about the Eurocode engine problem but I didn’t realize there were more. Over on Audizine it seems most people are being led to believe 700+ (crank) is possible on the stock internals, I guess it is more like 650. That is still plenty for a DD, so at least for me, no problem. The rest of the driveline seems pretty robust.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
Once the new wheels were on the car, I was like, that is a very nice! I like the OEM wheels but now prefer the BBS. Gorgeous ride! :thumbup:

·
Registered
15,388 Posts
The richest people in the world aren't doctors. Usually entrepreneurs or MBA's make the top richest people in the world. No disrespect for doctors though. They do good.
It all depends on what we are taking about. The average MBA makes far less than the average M.D.

That said, if you are talking about a Harvard MBA who manages a major hedge fund, then you are correct. No practicing doctor makes $20M/year.

Even among MDs (and DOs) salaries vary greatly.

The bottom line is if you want to be guaranteed a comfortable $200k+ salary, the MD is still the safest route (assuming you are able to get into Med School and then graduate). However, most doctors top out at 2x-3x that amount, depending on locale. A few will make $1M per year, but it’s rare.

Don’t even get me started on lawyers. The salaries are all over the place.

·
Banned
13,776 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
*sighs* Dope car as usual. You seem to pick up all of my (and everyone elses) current dream vehicles. Curious if you considered the M2 Competition or not, because you already had an S55 or two?

41 - 60 of 217 Posts