VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
21,522 Posts
Glad to see you finally did a thread for the RS3!

I plan to pick a CPO one up in ~2 years. My first choice would be Nardo. Should be around the same time as you'll be unloading this one, so keep me in mind. :laugh::peace:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
The richest people in the world aren't doctors. Usually entrepreneurs or MBA's make the top richest people in the world. No disrespect for doctors though. They do good.
A whole lot of doctors are actually making enough to afford that or the modern equivalent. Just not out of their practice. The ones who become this rich usually just earn a crap load and invest in stuff until they hit it big. Most don't quit being doctors either. You know it's not just for the money when they are making 4-10X as much outside work than in and they still clock in early and clock out late.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
But that 200k might easily get halved by student loans and liability insurance.
It all depends on what we are taking about. The average MBA makes far less than the average M.D.

That said, if you are talking about a Harvard MBA who manages a major hedge fund, then you are correct. No practicing doctor makes $20M/year.

Even among MDs (and DOs) salaries vary greatly.

The bottom line is if you want to be guaranteed a comfortable $200k+ salary, the MD is still the safest route (assuming you are able to get into Med School and then graduate). However, most doctors top out at 2x-3x that amount, depending on locale. A few will make $1M per year, but it’s rare.

Don’t even get me started on lawyers. The salaries are all over the place.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It all depends on what we are taking about. The average MBA makes far less than the average M.D.

That said, if you are talking about a Harvard MBA who manages a major hedge fund, then you are correct. No practicing doctor makes $20M/year.

Even among MDs (and DOs) salaries vary greatly.

The bottom line is if you want to be guaranteed a comfortable $200k+ salary, the MD is still the safest route (assuming you are able to get into Med School and then graduate). However, most doctors top out at 2x-3x that amount, depending on locale. A few will make $1M per year, but it’s rare.

Don’t even get me started on lawyers. The salaries are all over the place.
We always end up having a decent number of nurses pull in more than some of our doctors. Yearly reminder that I got into the wrong line or work.

Couple lawyer friends that work for the state. 75k salary and haven't gotten raises in over five years :confused:

**yes, both examples are extremes.

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
We always end up having a decent number of nurses pull in more than some of our doctors. Yearly reminder that I got into the wrong line or work.

Couple lawyer friends that work for the state. 75k salary and haven't gotten raises in over five years :confused:

**yes, both examples are extremes.
Yep. In most professions, the specialty, practice arena, and practice location makes a huge difference.

A small-town public defender might make $40k a year, while a rainmaker M&A lawyer in NYC at a top firm might make $10 million.

A GP Doc in a major metro might make under $100k after expenses, while a plastic surgeon who owns a chain of clinics might make $10 million.

That said, there a lot more lawyers working for very low wages than doctors. Just about any licensed MD can make $100k+- not so with lawyers.

·
Premium Member
12,577 Posts
This may be a ghost account for Mike Diamond, The Smell Good Plumber"...
"A lawyer calls a plumber to have a leak fixed in his shower. After 30 minutes, the leak is fixed and the plumber gives the lawyer a bill for $400. The lawyer says 'I'm a lawyer and even I don't make that kind of money.' The plumber responds 'neither did I when I was a lawyer."

I'll see myself out. Sorry OP, back to discussing your RS3.

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
This thread is throwing a curveball in my current Audi-ism. Not happy with my SQ5, and was dead set on moving to a new S4 in 2019 after driving one this last weekend. I've known that APR has been having a good time with the RS3, but they're sooooo small. But good lord, the 9.9 they just clicked off would destroy my old HCI C6Z on the street...and you're inside an Audi. ****. Subscribed. :beer:

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
I bet you money the OP drives it in shorts and flip flops.

How the fvck we turn this into what who makes what... irrelevant... enjoy and appreciate the gdmn car!!

Love the progress ... Can't wait for the Pcar to get here!! Make sure you post it up and we'll apparently talk more about your income

Sent from my mobile office.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Why APR?

United Motorsport has proven themselves better tuners time and time again for many many years now.
I will start with saying that I am not too familiar with United. All my time with the RS3 stuff has been with SRM. I have been there when Sean is on the phone direct with APR and they are going over and over tunes trying to make them perfect. They send the flash, he installs and tests, back to APR for more tuning, back to testing, etc. They have taken painstaking measures for this car as well as the 4.0TT motors and it shows in the drivability and the numbers don't lie.

·
Registered
15,391 Posts
lmao. i just went to their site out of blatant curiosity and you can't even select products for an rs3. solid recommendation! :rolleyes:

http://www.unitedmotorsport.net/products
So it's a legit concern.

United is used by IROZ and other top Audi 5-cylinder tuners. You can't always tell a lot about the quality of a product by the web page. United is more flexible, user configurable, etc.

And lest we forget, APR's history with modern Audi 5-cylinders is terrible. In fact, their Stage 3 kit for the MK2 Audi TTRS was so bad, and so unreliable, that APR eventually just stopped selling it rather than try to fix it.

THAT SAID, APR's program for the current RS3/TTRS does seem to be solid.

But I too would be wary of ever running an APR tune. Too much baggage, and too much bad history -- much of it fairly recent.

·
Registered
8,243 Posts
So it's a legit concern.

United is used by IROZ and other top Audi 5-cylinder tuners. You can't always tell a lot about the quality of a product by the web page. United is more flexible, user configurable, etc.

And lest we forget, APR's history with modern Audi 5-cylinders is terrible. In fact, their Stage 3 kit for the MK2 Audi TTRS was so bad, and so unreliable, that APR eventually just stopped selling it rather than try to fix it.

THAT SAID, APR's program for the current RS3/TTRS does seem to be solid.

But I too would be wary of ever running an APR tune. Too much baggage, and too much bad history -- much of it fairly recent.
Only on custom builds recently, seems Custom Code is tue preferred tuner as of late for most iroz customers.

APRs track record with stage 3 kits is hit or miss but their tunes seem pretty solid esp E85.

I've had APR and 0 issues on multiple cars MK6 amd MK7 Rs.

Sent from my mobile office.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
i would have opted for the silvery surrounds, but i really DIG the grey, it looks fantastic. thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

·
Registered
17,582 Posts
This thread is throwing a curveball in my current Audi-ism. Not happy with my SQ5, and was dead set on moving to a new S4 in 2019 after driving one this last weekend. I've known that APR has been having a good time with the RS3, but they're sooooo small. But good lord, the 9.9 they just clicked off would destroy my old HCI C6Z on the street...and you're inside an Audi. ****. Subscribed. :beer:
Kind of what I have been struggling with. I want to swear off VAG as I had way too many for far too long and yet here is this RS3. Its stealth (no one in my area wouldn't know what it was) and it will ruin people's day.

I don't even need to run 9s. A solid high 10 second car on the street gets to be a handful. Now throw in 4 doors and awd!

I was pulling a boat out to winter storage over the weekend and was passed by an S3 with an exhaust, intake, wheels etc. I was drooling over it as it disappeared down the road.

·
13,688 Posts
Late, but, congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the 2.5t Evo club.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. I'm still straddling the line between Iroz/CC & APR complete hardware and software suite. Waiting a little more before I decide.

61 - 80 of 217 Posts