VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a couple build threads over the years for this car evolution mainly covering the larger upgrades or should I say engine swaps.

I bought it on a Saturday back in July of 2007 with 59k and by Sunday morning the engine was pulled for a TDI swap I had ready to install.

6am the morning after I bought it, it was July and working at night was how I avoided working in a garage without AC:

The finished AHU swap:

Here it is in September 2008 ready for H2Oi

I love the 16” Audi TT wheels I had polished.

This was the only show I took both TDI Corrados to and I didn’t get many pics of them together.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Later I upgraded the stock AHU turbo to a VNT in this build thread:

Finished Specs of my car:(September 2011)

Engine: 1.9L AHU from a 1998 Jetta with a Passat wiring harness

AHH TDI Long-Block NOS from VW
AFN Exhaust Manifold
GT1749VA turbo stock from a b5.5 passat tdi
Stock Mk3 AFN Turbo Inlet Pipe and Oil Lines

Stock B4 AFN TDI downpipe approx 2.25" od with cat
Exhaust is currently a Techtonics 2.25" cat back with borla muffler (I would like to upgrade to a 2.5" Turbo back exhaust from Whitbread with V-brands, MangaFlow Cat and Borla Muffler)
130hp PD Intake manifold
Custom EGR Valve

2" custom IC plumbing
stock g60 Corrado Intercooler
no lift pump
stock 10mm AHU IP
Bosio 1019 Injector nozzles and new NOS OEM injector bodies
VNT ECU Conversion and Custom Tune www.malonetuning.com
European Engine cover
silicone hose connections
Eco-Diesel Airbox
ABA Windage Tray
Pinned Crank Cog
Transmission: Mk3 O2A "CTN" transmission

Brakes/Drivetrain: 5x100 Lug Conversion (Eurospec Sport Conversion Hubs), 11.3" Mk4 GTI rotors, 5x100 rear Rotors, SS lines, Mintex red pads

Suspension: H&R coilovers, Neuspeed 4 point rear strut bar (modified for Quick removal) R32 control arm bushings, New Strut Bearing Bushings, New rear shock bushings.

Wheels & Tires: 16" Audi TT wheels (Very Rare) that have been stripped of their paint and Polished. Yokohama Parada spec 2 Tires 205/40/16 Tires

Exterior: Stock Body work with 20+ years of minor wear and tear with the original paint. Tinted/Red taillights, clear side markers and European headlights. 90mm Front Euro Lip Lip. Passat Moonroof Conversion. The Moonroof interior panel has a grey cloth panel that matches the OEM headliner perfectly.

Interior: Stock Black Heated Leather with a TDI Passat instrument cluster with MFA 100% operational. Auber EGT, VDO boost & oil pressure gauges. European manual seatbelts. 337 Pedals

Audio/Visual: Late Mk3 Jetta Radio (matches the Rado's instrument lighting) No more amplified door speakers

Mileage
Drivetrain: Approx 175k, the engine had 115K miles when I started the swap.
The shell had 59k miles when I started :eek: now at 120k

The car has an 15 gallon fuel tank and can get 48-52 mpg all day everyday with the 16s and driving it hard. 55-60 if I pamper it and try for economy. Why I think this car is so great? This is the car that I originally intended to build on my first TDI Corrado build, its all OEM like. Everything went together like it was built this way from the Factory.

The original build Thread:

In 2013 after a minor rust bubble popped up on the hatch I had a friend paint the whole car and then took the car to California.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After it was resprayed it sat in storage for 2 months because I was in California and busy traveling for work.

The trip out from Virginia to California in May 2013:

By September 2013 I realized that as much as I loved living in California from 1994-1998 it was time to get back East. Here I am at H2Oi after a long drive:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m December 2013 a turbo broke and I damaged the engine. While it was down I did a lot of soul searching and realized I missed RPMs and a nice sounding exhaust note. In 2016 I finalized my plans and decided to swap a 3.6 VR6 in.

Before I bought a donor I found a 3.6 long block cheap and this helped verify the fitment would work. At the same time I had found a VR6 Corrado in a junkyard and it was a good donor for my swap.

I had a Bramble for a short stint but it was a distraction from my Corrado so I sold it. The condition of my silver car was so superior that I don’t regret getting rid of that Bramble.

I was living in Niceville Florida (panhandle area between Panama City and Pensacola) and found a donor in Atlanta:

It had a bad rear end and one fuel pressure fault, I think the fault was timing chain wear because with the swap I replaced the chains/guides and I didn’t have the issue after doing the swap.

Here is a link to all of the 3.6 VR6 swap info:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2018 I made it to Wookies and barely survived after glazing the brakes so bad that the rotors turned blue. I had lots of rev hang and poor handling to top it off I did a burnout and this Cause the flywheel to warp and the pressure plate started hitting the bell housing.

That said Wookies in the Woods is the best vw enthusiast event in the USA

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m 2019 I came back with a whole new combo as I chased a better combination. I installed:

-Kw V2
-plus suspension
-Upgraded the LMs to 17x8 barrels
-215/40/17 Faulken Azenis 615+
-312mm brakes with Boxster calipers upfront with ebc yellow pads
-r32 rear brakes
-2017 Forged crank longblock with arp rod bolts

This setup was a huge step in the right direction and I hit events all over with it.

Wookies:

Hersey Porsche swap meet:

Alpine VagFair:

A GTG at my house after moving into a new house in MD:

York VagFair:

RadWood Detroit:

Hotwheels Legends tour:

No H2Oi

EuroSummit:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I even managed to squeeze in a trip to Worthersee in 2019

Here I am after a long day of running around the AutoStadt and then the 30th anniversary corrado exhibit where I signed the PDF paperwork to close on my house in Maryland. Who can say they visited their car’s museum exhibit and picked up a garage to work on their car?

The hidden VW engine room.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A Mk1 rabbit tail sheet metal piece fro
Worthersee and other long pieces like strut bars. My friend Rick managed to take this as a checked luggage.

I did a little dumpster diving diving at the hotel and yielded some free/stolen hotel art. They thought the room with a dumpster view was bad.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This past winter I centered the engine with a fabless kit and increased the front sprint rates. Replaced the rear beam which was tweaked while also installing spherical bearings. The entered engine required a different intake design an this helped fight the revhang.

The total result was a great handling car at Wookies.

Here is a time lapse video of the engine pull:

Some pics of the work:

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After Wookies my fan circuit cause my fuse box to erupt in flames

I had been planning to pull my engine harness and installing a TDC swap harness and use the new United no revhang tune and the gets to this weekend where one installing it. What fun, the new tune requires an RS4 fuel pump so I have to build a new pump, of coarse the tank was full when I parked it.

I’m ditching the wiper motor that I haven’t used in 4 years and installing the gigantic 3.6 ECU in this end of the raintray instead of under the battery. The two plugs are flipping huge and required a new hole.

I’m also installing a relay panel for the headlights, fogs, ac clutch and fans below the battery:

Notice how close that fire got to really getting out of control:

Here is what saved my car, an element fire extinguisher. The don’t use dry chemicals so the cleanup is minimal, this was recommended when I was considering mounting a 5lb chemical extinguisher.

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have changed out my terminal tools and based on the first couple pins this morning I’m very happy with the results. The red terminal removal kit has multiple options for the most common sizes I end up using.

The iwiss crimp kit is a nice upgrade from my elcheapo crimpers. I’m not 100% on the ratcheting aspect and might disable this.

Considering I bought both for less than the price of the schwanban terminal removal kit I’m very happy.

IWISS Quick Change Ratcheting Crimper Tool Kit, Automotive Service Kit, for Crimping MC4 Connector, Insulated & Non-insulated Terminal, Open Barrel Terminals, Dupont Connector, End Sleeve Ferrules IWISS Quick Change Ratcheting Crimper Tool Kit, Automotive Service Kit, for Crimping MC4 Connector, Insulated & Non-insulated Terminal, Open Barrel Terminals, Dupont Connector, End Sleeve Ferrules - - Amazon.com
If you want the crumpet for less they have the same setup in a bag for a few dollars less. I splurged at $37

Supercrazy 23-Piece Universal Terminal Release Kit-Universal Electrical Terminal Removal for American Domestic and Imported Vehicles SF0287 Amazon.com: Supercrazy 23-Piece Universal Terminal Release Kit-Universal Electrical Terminal Removal for American Domestic and Imported Vehicles SF0287 : Automotive

I feel like I own digikey stock after restocking my terminal supplies for just about every terminal used on the car.

·
Registered
13,245 Posts
Nice. I have the same Schwaben kit but also have the two Lislie "star" tools and have not run across a terminal that I can not extract (yet). The red kit looks very comprehensive though!

I also have the same kit as your IWiss, but mine is the Astro brand. In addition, I have 2 separate single side IWISS crimpers that I really like. I use them more than the ratcheting set for insulated pins because I feel like I have more control doing the pin crimp, then the rubber insulator/seal in 2 steps. Maybe I just need more practice with it which I will be getting soon, when I rebuild my harness with the Circular Connectors.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts