VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
201 - 220 of 230 Posts

· Registered
20,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Oh man, what a great idea ! (Let me know if you wanna swap the bed for mine :ROFLMAO:)
Do I see a hard top with some sort of quick release being made ?
Those all red lights looks very good to.
I’m planning to try and get a roll top tonnue for when the corrado uses it and a shell when in q7 mode.

I have a long punch list before it’s finished

· Registered
1990 Corrado G60
3,214 Posts
That's a cool looking trailer. I thought about a hitch and trailer when I owned my Caddy.
But noticed it behaved undesireably when there was a weighted load in the bed. I imagine the front wheel drive lost traction with the weight on the back. So I never pursued it further.

I'd be curious of your assessment once you have tried pulling a load.

· Registered
1990 Corrado G60
3,214 Posts
3 hours and counting sitting at DMV trying to title my Corrado and this thread has been a fantastic time killer. Thanks man.
I'm preparing for the safety inspection so that I can title my Corrado in Texas. Fortunately, no longer need a smog inspection - the age limit has passed. But I still have to pass the safety inspection.

· Registered
601 Posts
That's a cool looking trailer. I thought about a hitch and trailer when I owned my Caddy.
But noticed it behaved undesireably when there was a weighted load in the bed. I imagine the front wheel drive lost traction with the weight on the back. So I never pursued it further.

I'd be curious of your assessment once you have tried pulling a load.
I pull lots of stuff with my wagon. I imagine Corrado would be similar. I towed stuff with a Mk3 Cabrio all over the US some years back. When you load em up big the FWD thing does get squirrelly but all you gotta do it turn on the AWD and she calms down immediately.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

· Registered
601 Posts
Yeah my buddy used to tow dolly cars with his fwd mk3 with no issues.

I’ve trailered a lot with my vehicles so I’m not too worried. I want to use drop plates to lower the trailer to match the ball height before I take it out with the corrado.
I eyeballed the underside of mine and it looks easy to fab up a hitch. I'll tow dumb stuff with the show car just to make people wonder what is wrong with me. I built a hidden hitch for the Typhoon and I get funny looks with a bike rack on it.

· Registered
20,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 · (Edited)
Played around with soda blasting to prep a VR6 02J for my Corrado. The years of having rev hang with my old tune hurt my 3rd gear syncro.

The gearing:
1st___2nd___3rd___4th___5th___R&P
3.625-2.071-1.474-1.038-0.844-3.389-MK4 12V VR6 DZC, EHC, EGF, EWW, FBY, FCF
3.300-1.944-1.308-1.034-0.838-3.647==Corrado CDM

For the longest time I was thinking the mk4 was longer than the CDMs and I was questioning whether I wanted to make a change to what is a great combo.

Then as I dove into my gear ratio/speed charts at various RPMs I realized that they were almost identical. My only debate is whether I want a .795 or .756 5th gear. The .795 will mimic the RPMs I had with the CDM and the .756.

Tore the transmission apart, I’m not doing any paint or glass bead blasting. I just want to focus on getting it right and in the car quickly so I can hopefully do a weekend swap.

I scored a new 02A Peloquin a few weeks ago and had Gary Peloquin convert it to 02J for $75. Considering Peloquin has supply chain issues right now and all are on back order I’m very excited.

The 02J will also bolt to the 3.6’s oil pan to increase rigidity slightly.

· Registered
20,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
I’ve learned learned that too much 5th can cause a gap between 4th and 5th. I like my 5th gear RPMs now (CDM with .756) so I think that will be my target. Keep in mind I’m installing a 3.389 ring and pinion with the 02J.

Some instances of my playing with gears and learning:

In my ALH Corrado with a 3.15 ring and pinion I had a .68 5th and 45mph-50mph was a hole in the gearing where 4th get too high of RPMs and 5th get too low.

in my mk4 ALH Jetta the .7175th felt like a small hole at 48-50mph only noticeable in very specific conditions.

VR6 CDM gearing with a TDI 5th in a g60, great for daily driving but hurt my 60ft time at the track. This same gearing felt lethargic with a longer stroke 2L bottom end hence why the 2L mk4s came with 4.25 ring and pinions.

· Registered
20,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Thanks Noah but I already have a gear calculator spreadsheet and chart. One thing I’ve learned is charts and then real world feel are two different things.

This is why I recommend .756 instead of .744 for Corrados. That extra little is noticeable.

201 - 220 of 230 Posts