VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My rabbit has TWO gas tanks!?!?

871 views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  2manvr6 
#1 ·
the car is a 79 rabbit diesel. i had noticed the tank (which is located in the spare wheel well) because the PO said he wanted it back. i assumed it was the only tank, but i was under car today and noticed the stock tank is still intact. anyone know exactly what this is?? i need to take it out also, so is that going to be a PITA??

See less See more
#6 ·
Re: My rabbit has TWO gas tanks!?!? (JASGTi)

Quote, originally posted by JASGTi »
Does the car have a WVO(veggie oil) covnversion done to it?

im not sure, the guy did also have a 4 door electric rabbit, a heavily modified cummins diesel dodge truck.... heres a pic i just took

#8 ·
Re: My rabbit has TWO gas tanks!?!? (coolerow)

Quote, originally posted by coolerow »
that's definitely not factory installed. That's just like the spare tire tanks that Greasecar.com sells for the WVO conversion kits.

I don't think this one is a factory intalled one. I've seen the factory version and you don't have to cut the floor to make it work. Actually you do have to cut the floor but it's in the tire well not on the floor like that one. It comes withe a Y hose to connect them.

#9 ·
Re: My rabbit has TWO gas tanks!?!? (GTI MK1)

Quote, originally posted by GTI MK1 »

I don't think this one is a factory intalled one. I've seen the factory version and you don't have to cut the floor to make it work. Actually you do have to cut the floor but it's in the tire well not on the floor like that one. It comes withe a Y hose to connect them.

this was only slightly cut in the floor, and also most of the wheel well is still there, heres some more pics, u can see the Y that goes to both tanks. so this is just an extra tank, do i really need to take it out?? and how can i clean em out??
inside the car

heres a few from under the car

#12 ·
Re: My rabbit has TWO gas tanks!?!? (84_GLI_coupe)

Quote, originally posted by 84_GLI_coupe »
If you bought the car with it, why would you give it back to the PO?

well it got the car for really cheap and he told me he would get me the pink once i give him the tank, BUT it will cost more to get the pink than what i paid him for the car so i doubt he will want to do that. i found someone who will do a lien sale for me, so im going to keep the tank in the car......

i still would like to know a good way to clean it out
. the car was a diesel and im converting it to gas, so im sure i need to pull the original tank also to plumb in a fuel pump

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.