VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got cut off a few hours ago. Guy didn't even know he'd did something wrong. Cut across three lanes of traffic and I ran into him in the last. His Prius dumped all its coolant and had to be towed. Mine drive home though a bit of rattling because the front mount was pushed into the engine.

My radiator might be cracked. It drips now.

What you can't see in the kink in the arm under the battery. The bumper shifted to the passenger side which bent both arms where the bumper is bolted on.

The driver's fender is bent badly, the hood shifted and pushed the other fender pout of shape. Consequently, both inner fenders are out of shape.

My bet is that it's totaled.

Onto the pictures.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Steel Street Exit off of 512. I drive thru there several times a month.

Yeah, it's totaled. There is little that you can do to prevent that. It may be worth a lot to you, but it's only worth what Tacoma Craigslist ads will show.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
That’s a shame... definitely totaled, in the eyes of the insurance company. It can definitely be fixed, if you have the time. The insurance company will likely sell it back to you, for scrap value.

-Todd

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
If they total it, I would not buy it back. I have NEVER bought any of my cars back. I refuse to buy a car that I already own. There is little value to the car so if you fight enough, they will give it to you. You may want it back since you have already purchased so many items to make it yours.

The Rabbit has little value now, with a branded title, it certainly will be worth much less.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We shall see I suppose. I don't plan on selling so I don't care if the title is branded but I'll fight the value. I have receipts and the lowest priced diesel rabbit in the area is $3500.... And that one is not a show car. This one is, or was.:(

$3500 will probably cover the frame pulling, fenders, hood, and paint. I'll make it clear that I'll buy all the trim bits myself. I just want the the body work and paint done. I'll even pull the engine if they want.

The bumper had only a tiny dent. Won't even replace it.

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
If they total it, I would not buy it back. I have NEVER bought any of my cars back. I refuse to buy a car that I already own. There is little value to the car so if you fight enough, they will give it to you.

If they total it and pay you for it, they’re the new owner.

The last time I had a Rabbit totaled, I fought, and I got $5k, for it. I bought it back, for scrap value. This was the first time, I ever had to buy a car back. Their reasoning, was you can’t profit twice. I was paid, for the car, and if i immediately scrapped it, i’d benefit, again.

My damage was pretty much the same, as what’s pictured. I bought a shell, and fixed it.

Regarding the title, it never left my possession, and was never deemed “salvage”. Every car that I’d gotten back, prior to this, the title was never changed to salvage. This was over 10 years ago, and every state has their own rules.

-Todd

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they total it and pay you for it, they’re the new owner.

The last time I had a Rabbit totaled, I fought, and I got $5k, for it. I bought it back, for scrap value. This was the first time, I ever had to buy a car back. Their reasoning, was you can’t profit twice. I was paid, for the car, and if i immediately scrapped it, i’d benefit, again.

My damage was pretty much the same, as what’s pictured. I bought a shell, and fixed it.

Regarding the title, it never left my possession, and was never deemed “salvage”. Every car that I’d gotten back, prior to this, the title was never changed to salvage. This was over 10 years ago, and every state has their own rules.

-Todd
Thank you for the advise. That would certainly be the best case scenario. I'll cross my fingers for it. About how much did it cost to repair if you don't mind asking?

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
About how much did it cost to repair if you don't mind asking?
Bought it back for around $250
Shell was around $200
Spray guns about $150
Paint maybe $100?
I’m sure I’m forgetting stuff, so figure a grand, at the end. I already owned the welder and compressor. This is a good excuse to get one, if you don’t have one.

Did the work in my driveway and garage. The Bentley lists all the body dimensions.

-Todd

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
:( Sorry to see this.

I can relate. Something about Prius drivers. I was nearly hit head-on by one when they were going the other direction and crossed 3 lanes of travel into oncoming traffic (aka my lane). I swerved, so it only went down the entire front side of my New Beetle :banghead:Totaled it. I've almost been taken out by a couple more since then. Ugh.

Hope you can get it back on the road. Looks like it was a great car!

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I've never seen a Prius drive badly but if that's really a thing, I wonder if it's because a Prius is just an appliance, like a washing machine, viewed by its owner with the some indifference.

The urge to enjoy the the really nice "survivors" does need to be balanced against this type of risk, even if the car isn't a priceless treasure. We have this debate in the Scirocco forums.

Sorry to hear about this one. If you can use the insurance money to find another clean one, I think that'd be better than what you'd end up with having that shell repaired. Consider that even high-end shops won't care about the car, and they'll always do wholesale quality work.

And even doing a lot of the grunt work yourself won't mitigate the exhorbitant frame rack and body shop costs that much, plus you need to factor in your time, flatbed costs, new radiator, new fenders, hood, core support, etc..., some of which can be hard to find and pricey.

Now, if you're skilled and well equipped, including a MIG welder, and you know where the good junk yards are, that's a different story.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,419 Posts
Get all of your receipts and records together for a battle with the insurance company. Are you covered under your own insurance (collision)? Or the other guy was found at fault and you go through his company. That's harder because they have no legal obligation to treat you in good faith if you aren't they're client.

When my F250 powerstroke got T-boned two years ago, I was able to prove fault with a photo of tracks in the snow. Guessing from the front end nature of the damage that the cops are not going to find the other guy responsible, even though I am sure he was.

It took me four months to squeeze $6000 out the guys insurance company, which we both agreed did not cover the damage, but that was the limit of the guy's policy. Then I got a notice in the mail that the insurance company had declared my truck totaled because they had never accepted my valuation of the vehicle, even though we spent months going over it, with me sending them ads of comparable vehicles selling for 15k and them coming back with high mile gas F250s for 4k. Not comparable.

So, long story short, after four months fighting for the money, I had to go back and threaten to sue them for damages over their filing papers with DMV to require a salvage title. A third level manager finally relented and changed the value of the repairs to reflect what they actually paid me, changing the value to damage equation and saving my truck from salvage status.

I don't ever plan to sell, but title status still matters for next time I have to fight an insurance company over value. Salvage = No insurance value next time you get hit.

Anyway, sorry for your loss. We know you have the skills to fix her up though. You did it once, you can do it again.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for the kind words. I'm going back and forth on this one. I'll be driving it to a shop today (oddly the alignment is still in). I'll get a few quotes. Haggarty values it at 10k but that may not matter here. I do have all the receipts and tons of records. This may have been driven daily but it was in show-quality condition. That may not matter though.

There are two mk1's in the junk yard right now (right around the corner from the wreck) and neither has front end damage.

That said, I can get both inner fenders(including frame rail), both outer fenders and the core support for about $1000. I would have to be patient as the parts would have to come from germany. That's ok though. The paint I can do myself and I can bring the car sans-engine to the shop to have them install the new front end with their alignment machines.

I keep asking myself though, is it worth it? Should I go through all of this or let my 10 year old hobby fade away?

I can have this back on the road for around $4000....just to have another ignorant driver (nothing against Prius drivers...just ignorant drivers) destroy it for good.

My problem is that I want a fun light car to drive to work every day. I can get that in a Fiat 500, likely for what I'll get from the insurance for this one.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this car, but it may be its time.

No matter what though, I'll buy it back and make the parts available to fellow rabbit enthusiasts. This would include the engine (1.9na Diesel 1Y that just purrs).

I do hope that the shop will say they can fix it for what the insurance will pay but, I have my doubts.

Yes, I have tons of insurance on it through USAA, but with him at fault State Farm will be paying the bill. If USAA will pay it, I only have a $50 deductible.

·
Registered
22,000 Posts
Well, it's totaled in Insurance eyes, but there is a caveat for you to remember it is all a negotiation, they will low ball you.
So if you have to you can get an independent appraiser that does classic cars and they may get you more monies as their appraiser is more apt to know the true condition and value of the car.

I had a car that was totaled, I had all the receipts from the work that I had done.
The insurance company came out and said we will give you 3000 for it, as the damage repair is 2/3 the value.
I also had a receipt where an Insurance company gave me 6K for my last cabby that was "totaled" 5 months previous.
The Insurance company said I guess we will fix it. :) It helped that there was a Cabby for sale in the area of 12K on Auto-trader..:)
They called me back and said they couldn't locate parts.
So I bought an impounded sale 89, for 250, sold it to the insurance company for 600, got my car repaired, then the repair shop said come get the cars, so I had it towed to my house, stripped the parts off, and well made about 600 off of them, I had the shell towed to a parts yard and got 300 for it.

So it is all a negotiation, the only time I was ever locked in was when I was hit by a guy who had the same insurance company as I did... But I still got my car fixed.

My first cabby was totaled by a Jeep. My Second one was smacked by a Jeep...I hate Jeeps the same way that you hate the "Pre-ass" that hit you, but in actuality it wasn't the "Pre-Ass" that was at fault it was the "AssHat" that was driving distracted... I, like you drove my car home, where as Both Jeeps had to be Towed.

Now if you look at the prices of Golfs over in the UK, it is really silly what they will post for 4-5K pounds for sale there that are Rusty Barnacles of
fun.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and I looked closer at the frame damage (the deciding factor) this morning. The passenger frame was pushed up. The driver frame was creased down under the battery. The passenger fender being pushed out is because the inner fender is badly tweaked.

The coolant leak is just a pinched hose at the alternator. :screwy:

Everything still works. Even my remote start. What a waste.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
That is very sad to see that beautiful rabbit smashed. But as always the important thing is that you are ok. Cars can always be replaced, sure that is probably "totaled" but thats not to say it will never drive again.

(This pic is inspiration for my caddy project that had a bent front end)

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,766 Posts
ah... prius... et tu brute

my 81 had a front end collision prior to buying it
the paint was a *stupendously close match* but noticable
and the bondo and the brazed welds...
someone had it straightened but after a year of owning it i began to notice all the little areas that were evident of damage

"is it worth fixing?"
the larger question is it worth scrapping....

to me, when i see a new car with dealer plates i always think "thats a bad driver, must have wrecked their last beater"

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.