VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the coating on my stock RC's is flaking off (3 of the wheels) and its been buggin' me for a while. I think its time to refinish them, but I am not too sure what to do.

I always wanted to powder coat them black, but I have blacked out my BMP GLI already and I wonder if its too much. I also considered chroming them, but I removed the chrome trim from my GLI.

Any suggestions? I am also considering CH's, but still on the fence on that one. Here are a few pics to give you an idea.

Suggestions (on the wheels!)?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
17.5mm Rear
10mm Front

The rear passanger side wheel is offset more than the drivers side. I have left it for now, but may get a 20mm for that one, just to even it out.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
The rear passanger side wheel is offset more than the drivers side. I have left it for now, but may get a 20mm for that one, just to even it out.
Don't do this. I had the same issue. Some tard at the dealer said the rear beam was "bent". It wasn't. The rear beam bushings on these car tend to take a dump especially more so when your "low". I figured this out on my own by always wondering for years why one wheel would stick out further than the other. Then, I started noticing over time that my rear driver side wheel was tucking more and more. Well, I lifted the car up and began looking around the beam area. Turns out the rear beam bushings start going bad. They're rubber and are connected to the outer part of the bushing from two side. If their connections tear or wear you start getting all kinds of issues with the wheels sticking in or out further amongst other things. Energy Suspension makes a poly bushing kit for the rear beam. Also H2Sport makes solid metal bushings. I wanted the metal ones but couldn't spend $300 on them at the time. So instead I got the Energy Suspensions kit for $65 shipped. You can do the install yourself at home. I did. It was a PITA by myself but it can be done. :thumbup: Good luck. PM if you need any help with the install. I can walk you though it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I like contrast, so don't go with black or gunmetal. Especially not black. Black wheels just don't look all that special. I like chrome/polished on black. I also like brightly-colored wheels on black cars. Gold wouldn't look too shabby. I've seen orange RC's already. Idk man. There's an RC color thread here somewhere.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to a local wheel place to look at some samples. They had this color called smoked chrome. It was not really chrome but had a really good finish on them. A little lighter that gun metal.

I'm gonna be a geek and mock one up on Forsa 3 (Yeah, I have my GLI made!) see how it looks.:laugh:

@schwartzmagic
Thanks for the advice... I will defiantly look at that. Its been buggy me for 6 months now.:banghead:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.