VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you may or may not know from an earlier posting, I recently acquired a 1973 Datsun 240Z.
It's brown.
Here's some photos I took the day after I got it:
http://antilog.net/index.php?i...=240z

Anyway... it's not quite running right... and I've been playing with every little knob and screw and twisty turny thing I can trying to get it to run better... and well. It's hard when you don't have any of the special tools the Haynes manual keeps mentioning. (Haynes manuals aren't very good by the way... I got mine with the car).
So my car actually has the earlier style carbs and head from the cars w/o emission controls (previous owner swapped em in), so it makes life a bit easier... I've also been posting and searching zcar.com and the guys over there are actually really helpful.
See, I don't have a flowmeter... and I can't seem to find one except online (which means it'll take a week to get to me)... The guys at Autozone and Kragen asked "what's that?" when I asked for one... and then proceeded to tell me they don't carry it. So I asked on Zcar.com if there was a way for me to do a rough tuning without a flowmeter.
... and this was the answer:

Most people said that your best bet is to just get ahold of a flowmeter though... I tried this tube in ear thing though... and I guess it sorta works, but I think my car has bigger problems, so I'm not really sure if I made it run any better. I felt so cool after I did this though. It's like a doctor with a stethoscope... Apparently it's only really effective when some old British guy does it though (the SU style carbs are pretty common on Triumphs too I think).
So I don't know if this is really at all interesting, but all this stuff in a car older than I am is such a learning experience for me. I've grown up with fuel injection all my life... so I'm learning something new every day about carbs and stuff.... haha, I adjusted the ignition points today too... bet half of you have never don't that!

I'm going to attempt to adjust the valves tomorrow... and then maybe go back to the carbs (because carbs are supposed to be the last thing you touch)
Oh yeah, btw, my window regulator is failing too

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm actually looking to pick up a 510 in the near future, hopefully with the L20B and 5spd, so this thread was nice for me!
It's always cool to figure stuff like that out though. It's pretty Macgyver style!

·
Banned
13,344 Posts
Re: (smoked_g60)

I bought my unisyn online...you might be able to find one at a restoration shop or someplace with a dyno.
When I was tuning my 510's SUs with the unisyn they didn't have enough "suck" at idle to get an accurate reading - it kept dying when I would try to meter it; it was kind of frustrating.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Re: My recent adventures in Carburetor Tuning (nsadhal)

Quote, originally posted by nsadhal »
about carbs and stuff.... haha, I adjusted the ignition points today too... bet half of you have never don't that!

I'm going to attempt to adjust the valves tomorrow... and then maybe go back to the carbs (because carbs are supposed to be the last thing you touch)

Mmmm-real car, with points and carbs. How simple life used to be! Probably much less than half of 'texers have ever adjusted points. The only real caveat is that changing the points gap affects ignition timing, so adjust them in that order: points, then timing. I actually prefer the "run up a hill at low revs on full throttle and keep advancing the timing until it knocks, then back off a touch" method for older cars, but that's me.
The carbs may be the last thing you touch when you know the carbs are in good condition, but if i were you I'd completely rebuild them and start from scratch, or ditch them for Webers (much better option IMO) In any case a Unisyn is essential.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts