VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My review if anyone is interested

Overall: Damn fine car. Couple of things bothered me though.
Parts of the dash do feel cheap. Those two little trays that pop out above the nav system/radio feel a little on the cheap side. Might be too thin of plastic or something but it doesn't feel like a 30K car. Plastics in general around the radio feel thin. Looks good but it just feels weak. Everything else in the car feels fantastic.
Leather=amazing. Sat in the comfort seats and the sport seats. Comfort seats had to be the second most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. First were on a 30K couch I saw in a store. Wonderful feel. Very nice. Sport seats rocked as well. Very nice side support. Look cool. Soft yet supportive.
Nav system=amazing and pretty simple to use. Think of it as a compromise between the Phaeton system (very easy to use but not real powerful) and the Touareg system (has everything under the sun but you need a CS degree to use most of it). I like the fact that you now enter the house number first and then the street. Seemed backwards to enter the street and then house number. Overall a much cleaner interface and a much nicer map look.
Dynaudio=unfrigginbelievable I used to think that no one should purchase an upgraded sound system from the dealer. I am now gladly proven wrong. This sound system is amazing. Best system I have ever heard. Period. Better than any Mark Levinson, H K, or Bose crap out there. These guys know how to make a sound system. The range and clarity this system achieves without messing with the treble, mid, and bass is astounding. If you weren't an audiophile before, this system will make you one. The only thing this system needs is a fold down 52 inch plasma screen. It is better than my home system and I spent WAY more than 1K on it. You'll hear notes and instruments in songs you had heard before. No one had heard before. Its that good. One of the trainers was saying it was so clear he could hear the could hear the squeak of the bass drum pedal on a Led Z. song. A song he had been listening to for 20 years. Amazing system.
The drive: One word. Perfect. This is a car that you can just sit back and relax in. Take a nice leisurely drive home, blast Mozart's 5th, and enjoy life. Or you can drop in some Metallica, put it in sport mode, and really toss the car around. No body roll. It seems like the suspension is just playing with the road. Like a boxer sparring. Like the car is just bored and waiting for you to really entertain it. Throw it in to a corner and the front wheels will gladly bite in, pull the back around, and rocket out of the corner. REALLY fun.
We actually got to track the car a little bit. A small road course was set up for us to drive a new Passat 2.0T on, a BMW 2006 BMW 325i, and an Accord V6. A 2.0T Passat with 16inch wheels and standard suspension was 90% as fast as the 6 cycle 325i. Very impressive. The VR6 should kill a 3 series in a straightline and will at least give it a run for its money in the cornering. Won't beat it. But its much closer than it used to be. MUCH closer. Accord....no point in bring it up. This car slides, squeals and smokes like a Yugo on the track. Not impressed. But then again it isn't designed to be a drivers car like the Passat or 3 series.
Overall: Very nice. Other than the interior quality it was a wonderful car. I REALLY hope they take notice of the many interior complaints and spend a little more to fix it up. Then it'll be an amazing car. Right now it is just very good. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Just my two cents.....
Jim

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the review. I second everything you said, except for the comparison to the BMW and the Honda since I had not had a chance to compare them myself.
I believe the trays next to the hazard switch are really worthless too. I can't imagine putting anything in them except maybe some trash. In fact because of their height in the dash, you can't see into them to see what you might have put there. Anything with any mass to it will certainly cause rattles, and we don't need anymore of that.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (MUG318)

It would actually really go a long way towards making the interior feel better if they just got rid of those stupid trays and made it solid all the way across. That was clearly the biggest offender on making the interior feel cheap. Just seal them off and that'll help a lot.
Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: My review if anyone is interested (vwsully)

The ride was actually very similar to the Jetta. Just felt a little bigger. Really handled well. Truly a car you can throw around and feel confident it won't throw any suprises in there.
The 6-speed auto shifted as smooth as the Jetta auto. Normal driving you can't tell when it shifts. Its that smooth. In tiptronic mode it is still just as smooth. Only you control it.

Lag=noticable but not like before. Think of the 1.8T lag as a span of 5 minutes. It is now down to about 30 seconds. It is barely noticible.....but it is there. Much improved but not perfect. 99% of buyers won't have any complaints at all. Wonderful engine.
Jim

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: My review if anyone is interested (sirAQUAMAN64)

I hope you are the typical customer. I really like VW but I'm afraid of where they are heading. I'm afraid that they are trying to include too many toys in the car and losing sight of what makes them a VW. A reasonably priced fun car that looks different than any thing else. Don't get me wrong. I think the car will sell well. Now if I can just convince my customers that MSRP is the Minimun Suggest Retail Price.
Just kidding......
Jim

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: My review if anyone is interested (tallonjf)

The auto is smooth as can be but shift lag in tiptronic is pretty bad from 4-5-6. 1-2-3 aren't bad at all, comparable to my '02 Jetta 1.8t tiptronic ... but 4-5-6 you were counting seconds and guessing when it was going to come, particularly when coming back down even when in low rpm ranges. I can't compare to the new Jetta because I was so disguisted with the click/thump in the end of the shift that I put the thing in auto after a couple of shifts. If you are to be offended by extreme lag in shifts enough to not like the tiptronic, test it out at some higher speeds on the freeway and play with 4-5-6.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tallonjf »
I hope you are the typical customer. I really like VW but I'm afraid of where they are heading. I'm afraid that they are trying to include too many toys in the car and losing sight of what makes them a VW. A reasonably priced fun car that looks different than any thing else. Don't get me wrong. I think the car will sell well. Now if I can just convince my customers that MSRP is the Minimun Suggest Retail Price.
Just kidding......
Jim

Why do you think the car is gonna sell well? The new Jetta sure isnt........I think the prices are getting to high for what the customer is willing to pay for a VW

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: My review if anyone is interested (G60 dude)

I think it will sell well because the cars it is being compared against (Accord, 3-series, C-class, maybe Camry) don't stack up well against it. Looking at sheer bang for buck the new Passat is a good deal. Jettas have actually been selling pretty well for our dealership. I think the Passats will do even better for us. At our dealership if you walk 50 feet in one direction or another you'll see that C-class and that 3-series and a 9-3. All good cars in their own right. But not ones that can really match what the new Passat will be. 31K for a car with leather, nav and Dynaudio will do really well with our clientele. REALLY well. Like I said before though....they have a little work to do on that dash.....but I think it'll be okay.

Jim

·
Registered
6,178 Posts

Quote, originally posted by G60 dude »

Why do you think the car is gonna sell well? The new Jetta sure isnt........I think the prices are getting to high for what the customer is willing to pay for a VW

Prices are getting to high? It's gonna sell well because the price point is the same as the B5.5, but the B6 gives you more for the same money. More size, more power, more equipment, more ride quality, and (like the Jetta) we will see more (best in class) safety. Same money. It will sell, no doubt.
Yes, there will be more expensive models, but they will be higher equipped than the current high line Passats.
The Passat really is a great new car, I've driven it and I am excited for it to get here. (any day now! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif )
The new Jetta is doing OK, we're selling then well. But next year they are de-contenting the car closer to the MkIV and the price will be similar to the old Jetta with still more equipment than before. Plus we'll get the 2.0T and the GLI, both which will increase sales.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

I think it will sell well because the cars it is being compared against (Accord, 3-series, C-class, maybe Camry) don't stack up well against it. Looking at sheer bang for buck the new Passat is a good deal. Jettas have actually been selling pretty well for our dealership. I think the Passats will do even better for us. At our dealership if you walk 50 feet in one direction or another you'll see that C-class and that 3-series and a 9-3. All good cars in their own right. But not ones that can really match what the new Passat will be. 31K for a car with leather, nav and Dynaudio will do really well with our clientele. REALLY well. Like I said before though....they have a little work to do on that dash.....but I think it'll be okay.

Jim

See, I've read where the new Jetta is competing against the Accord, the Camry, etc. I think VW is in a market by itself right now. It cant compete against a BMW, Audi or Mercedes.......If people are spending $30+, the "majority" of people will look elsewhere other than VW. I know its a few classes up, but the Phaeton experiment was a prime example. I know this is only one person, but I was talking to a friend of mine who wanted to get a current Passat 4 motion. His wife wanted a more prestige car so they ended up buying an Audi A4.
Hey Ive owned VW's since the mid 80's........Im just not sure the direction VW is going is the right one

·
Registered
6,795 Posts

Quote, originally posted by G60 dude »
His wife wanted a more prestige car so they ended up buying an Audi A4.

What VW is trying to do is feasible. Perhaps they should have moved up more gradually instead of starting at the top with the Phaeton. But the main reason they are not transitioning very well is that they haven't put in the required marketing and dealer network revamping. In fact, they have been abysmal at it. Just look at the stupid Phaeton and W8 commercials. That kind of crap may ring some bells with oddball twenty somethings, but not with the target audiences of those upscale vehicles. Frankly, even when I was in my twenties,I found the "da da da" commercials funny (gets old quickly though), but utterly uninformative about the car.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: My review if anyone is interested (av_audi)

"I found the "da da da" commercials funny (gets old quickly though), but utterly uninformative about the car."
That is exactly what a bunch of fellow VW salesmen have been saying. I think they have funny commercials but they rely too much on people actually going out and doing the research themselves in order for them to learn about the car. VW NEEDS to actually talk about features in the car when the advertise.
Take Ford for instance. Last year they were bragging about their cars having side curtain airbags. That is something VW has had for friggin' years. But I had questions and comparisons from customers wanting to know if VW stacked up to Ford. VW STACKED UP TO FORD????? Nobody knows the kind of features and benefits that come with driving a VW. What about the cool key? That always gets a rise from customers. What about the window roll down feature with the key and the door? It was in a commerical 5 years ago (with a really hot girl IIRC). The airbags? Satellite radio? Navigation? ABS all around? Power seats? Memory seats? All of that is good stuff that a lot of other competitors don't have. And do you see any of it mentioned in their ads? Nope. We get dogs crammed in trunks, guys huddling in the wheel well to impress a girl, mirrors to stare at a girls butt, and da da da. Don't get me wrong. I think they are funny. But they are not informative. How many people will buy a car because it had a funny commercial? Not a single one. How many will buy a car because it has 6 airbags standard, ESP, and ABS? A bunch. Just refocus......

·
Registered
6,795 Posts

But I had questions and comparisons from customers wanting to know if VW stacked up to Ford. VW STACKED UP TO FORD????? ... ow many will buy a car because it has 6 airbags standard, ESP, and ABS? A bunch. Just refocus......

Even the $16K base Golf comes with ABS, six airbags, 4 disc brakes, electronic force distribution, and I think the GLS trim has traction control and option electronic stability program.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: My review if anyone is interested (av_audi)

Thats what I'm saying. You can spend 16K and get a loaded Focus that isn't nearly as good as the Golf. But people don't know that. And I think it is their advertising that is to blame.
Just me opinion though....
Jim

·
Registered
6,795 Posts

Thats what I'm saying. You can spend 16K and get a loaded Focus that isn't nearly as good as the Golf. But people don't know that. And I think it is their advertising that is to blame.

You will find plenty of criticism about VW advertisement on all vwvortex forums, from owners to insiders

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

"I found the "da da da" commercials funny (gets old quickly though), but utterly uninformative about the car."
That is exactly what a bunch of fellow VW salesmen have been saying. I think they have funny commercials but they rely too much on people actually going out and doing the research themselves in order for them to learn about the car. VW NEEDS to actually talk about features in the car when the advertise.

The advertisements from the late 90s early part of y2k were genius.
They should do something similar again. Those were cool, and you didn't forget them. That was great marketing, and it showed in the showroom. Cool, New, Fun.
They went a different direction which wasn't nearly as cool .

Forget the features in a short comercial spot. The car has features. VWs have tons of features and when you research and compare, this will be obvious. Check the safety, and the cars perform well there too.
They have nothing to be afraid of except quality and customer retention/satisfaction.
I'm not a big fan of the styling from some angles, then again, I don't like the Camary or Accord that much either and look how well they sell.

·
Registered
6,795 Posts
Re: My review if anyone is interested (lip)

Quote, originally posted by lip »
The advertisements from the late 90s early part of y2k were genius.

The one for the Passat with two adults driving and flirting with their kids in the backseat is simply incredible. I am sure it won a gazillion awards. It was also probably one of the few VW commercials that attracted young middle-agers as opposed to twenty-somethings. But it is very hard and rare to reach such high levels with the artsy component of commercials, so the matter-of-factly part needs to be thrown in somehow too. For example, the Maxima commercials of some time ago drove home with a hammer the main selling points of the car.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Re: My review if anyone is interested (lip)

Quote, originally posted by lip »

I'm not a big fan of the styling from some angles, then again, I don't like the Camary or Accord that much either and look how well they sell.

The Camry and Accord sell well, even if their styling isnt that great in many eyes, because many people want reliability. The Mk4 Jetta's and Golf along with the B5 Passats sold well because of their styling. So now with the current VW lineup, Im not really sure what their selling point will be.........We all know VW is not known for their realibilty. Thats a given fact. Opinion wise, I think they lost their unique styling. So in turn I still believe they wont be selling as well as previous models

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.