VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
REFERENCES:
THE OFFICIAL WHEEL BUILD ALMANAC & REFERENCE THREAD
^ Check this out if you have any questions on building wheels.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 SEASON BUILD

Specs:
Mirror Polished w/ Brushed Faces and Powder Coated Clear
19 x 9 et45
- 1.5" Lips
- 7.5" Barrels
(Reverse Mount)
225/35-19 Nitto NT555's
5X112

Rebuild Details:
- OG 18" OZ Futura 5x112 Reverse Mount Centers
- 18" to 19" Conversion Lips & Barrels
- Cleaned / Polished OEM OZ 10-Point Bolts & Nuts
- Gorilla Flush Mount Valve Stems (w/ Smooth Caps)
- Soudaseal 270HS Sealant

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 SEASON REBUILD

Specs:
Faces Mirror Polished and Powder Coated Clear
18 x 10 et26
- 2.5" Lips
- 7.5" Barrels
(Reverse Mount)
215/40-18 Nitto Neogen's
5X112

Rebuild Details:
- New Fully Polished & Powder Coated Clear 5x112 Futura Centers (m298 & Old Style Cap Ready) - Purchased from Spinfab Design
- New 7.5" Barrels Powder Coated Gloss Black - Purchased from Spinfab Design
- Polished / Refurbished Lips - Done by Me
- Cleaned / Polished Shortened Original OZ Stainless Bolts - Done by Me
- New Gorilla Flush Mount Valve Stems (w/ Smooth Caps) - Done by Me
- Soudaseal 270HS Sealant - Purchased from Black Forest Industries

2015 SEASON REBUILD

Specs:
Faces Powder Coated Audi Quartz Grey Metallic
18 x 9.5 et27 (et22 w/ 5mm Spacers)
- 2.5" Lips
- 6.5" Barrels
(Sandwich Mount)
215/40-18 Nitto Neogen's
5X112

Rebuild Details:
- Step Up Lips/Barrels to 18" & Widen (9.5" all around) - Purchased from Spintech
- Polished Lips / Painted Black Barrels - Done by Me
- Fill/Redrill to 5x112 - Done by Spintech
- Powdercoat Centers Audi Quartz Grey Metallic (LY7G) - Done by Spintech
- Carbon Ring Reconditioning (They were painted black) - Done by Spintech
- New Centercap Hardware - Purchased from Spintech
- Shortened Original OZ Stainless Bolts - Machined by Shop R.H. Ripley & Son Inc. in Portsmouth, NH
- New Hex Nuts - Purchased from Black Forest Industries
- Soudaseal 270HS Sealant - Purchased from Black Forest Industries

ORIGINAL SPECS:
Faces Powder Coated Sequoia Green
17 x 8.5 et56
- 1.0" Gloss Black Lips
- 7.0" Barrels
17 x 9.0 et50
- 1.5" Gloss Black Lips
- 7.0" Barrels
(Sandwich Mount)
205/40-17 Nitto Neogen's
5x130
Built in 1993

THE STORY:

I have wanted these wheels since I got into cars and I have always viewed them as a little too far out of reach for me, but now I finally have my hands on a set of them. In order to do them justice, I wanted to track the progress of where I started, where I am, and where I plan to go. I also wanted to capture as much of the history of these wheels that I could.

With all this in mind, let’s start from the beginning…

Since I heard the story of a guy on Craigslist starting with a paperclip and trading sequentially up to a boat, I’ve always looked at wheels in the same kind of light. Start small and work your way up.

I think the first thing most people do when they buy their first set of wheels is to jump on Tire Rack or go down to the nearest tire mounting shop and pick the ‘coolest rims’ you can find. For me, the first set of wheels I ever owned were a set of Enkei Lusso’s that I bought for my MKIV Jetta 2.0L. They looked ok, but they were definitely an uneducated choice in wheels and I was already tired of them after a season. The black wheel with machined-lip look is one that fades quickly from admiration.

So around March of 2013, I ended up selling the Enkei’s to a guy with a Mustang in a Wal-Mart parking lot and looked forward to making an improvement for my second set of wheels.

ENKEI LUSSO
18 x 7.5 et42
225/40-18 Nitto NeoGens

(fs thread link)

Once I had the cash from the previous sale, I surfed the classifieds for the right set to replace my steelies. I decided to make a (slightly) improved wheel choice for the next season. I found a set of Corvette C5’s (I know, I know…) right off the hubs of a Corvette with bald/roasted tires that I could clean up, piece together the necessary parts, and run for a little more ‘stancier’ look. While I waited for the adapters and the Falkens to arrive, I scrubbed down the C5’s as much as I could to clean them up and make them more presentable.

Dustoff was to be the first real VW/Audi show I was going to attend with what I felt was a pretty well put together supercharged, camed, stanced, and retrimmed Jetta. Spring rolled around and one week before the show, my Jetta’s tires met a particularly slick patch of sand on a tight turn and ended up making itself one with a telephone pole. Grief set aside, I knew it was time to step up my car and wheel game altogether...

CORVETTE C5
Front: 17 x 8.5
- 33mm Adapters (5x100)
- 205/45-17 Falken 512's
Back: 18 x 9.5
- 38mm Adapters (5x100)
- 215/40-18 Falken 512's

(fs thread link)

I made a FT thread for C5’s to acquire something in 5x112 for my new GTI. This was probably the most difficult deal to swing because not only was I trying to get rid of Corvette wheels that weren’t Sawblades, I was also trying to get something presentable to match the cleanliness of the new car. Surprisingly, after 6 months of bumping that stupid thread, I lucked out and found someone that wanted to trade me their BBS CH’s for the C5’s. I was absolutely dumbfounded. A no cash added, all original with centercaps, good ol’ fashioned ‘tossing of the keyes’ as it were. Obviously this was not something I could pass up and quickly set up the deal to meet the guy in Massachusetts.

BBS CH 012
5x112
18"x8.5" et35
57.1mm Hubcentric Aluminum Rings
4 BBS Carbon Fiber Center Caps
205/40-18 Nitto NeoGens

(fs thread link)

Once I got the wheels, I went to work with dish soap and water in the bathtub of my apartment trying to scrub away the years of neglect. Let me just say, that banging around a set of wheels in your bathtub at 11:30 at night in an apartment complex is not a good way to make friends with your neighbors. This process also included getting rid of all the tire grease on the barrels and waxing them inside and out. Aside from the previous owner’s minor curb rash, they were looking almost good as new. I ordered some rubber, had them mounted, and got an alignment.

Since I got the CH’s, I knew they would never be a long term wheel. I was never really a diehard fan of them but I was pleased with how they looked on the GTI once I got it bagged. They were wide enough to make the car handle better, and filled out the wheel wells enough to make the car look more aggressive. After owning them for 3 months, I knew I was eventually going to get something different in the fall/winter and that they most likely would end up being a 3-piece set that I could rebuild and then trade up to my dream wheels. I toyed around with setting up a FS thread but I wanted to at least have some wheels to run during the ’14 season. Finally, on a whim, I thought I’d throw a Hail Mary…

I put up a FT only thread for the BBS’ and specified that I was only looking for OZ Futuras. I figured that I could put out some feelers and worst case would be that when fall comes around I could find another stepping stone between my CH’s and getting the Futura’s. A few offers came in but they were looking for more cash on top than I could afford at the time. Finally, an offer came my way that I couldn’t pass up. A few bills, plus my CH’s for an original set of OZ’s with new tires and adapters all set and ready to run on my GTI!

Deadmik3 contacted me and we set up a time and place to meet. He was just as anxious to get my BBS’s as I was to get his OZ’s. I got out of work on Friday at 5 and headed over to my brother’s work to pick him up. On the way I get a text from Mike telling me that he can’t get the wheels off himself and that he has to get a shop to help him. I made sure that the deal was still on but that he would only be a bit late due to the unforeseen issue. I pick up my brother and we start the 2hr 30min drive down to northern Connecticut. About an hour into the drive, I get another text from Mike. This time he tells me that the bolts are stripped and that they can’t get the adapters or the wheel off. We end up pulling off the highway and getting some dinner at a Chiles in hopes that we’d get some good news. Thankfully, Mike ended up going to his buddy’s shop and they were able to get everything off an hour later. We hop back on the road and hope that would be the last issue that came up. We were wrong…

About 10 minutes from our meeting spot I look at my phone and it’s another text from Mike. This time he had popped a tire and said he was going to have to turn around and go back home. We pulled off at the next exit and stopped at the nearest gas station. During this time, I was continuously calling and texting Mike in the off chance that I could meet up with him on the side of the road and he could use one of my wheels as a spare. I was still hoping that the trade would still happen. We wait at the gas station until 11 and without word from Mike, decide to start back on the 2hr 20min drive home.

Luckily Mike ended up texting me the next morning and letting me know that he made it back home ok and that he still wanted to do the exchange. We setup another meeting time and location, thankfully this time closer to me, and my girlfriend and I left after work on Monday. We make it there about 15min early and I get another text from Mike. My heart drops… BUT- it’s only to let me know that he hit traffic and would be a little late. We wait around for another hour and Mike shows up. The exchange goes as planned and after talking to Mike for a bit we headed home.

PREVIOUS OWNER HISTORY:

The first owner that I can track was niels who ran them on his Golf. At this time the wheels had TechArt center caps.

He sold them to DUB_4_LIFE who rebuilt them for his MK3 in Sequoia Green. He bought original center caps for the wheels and kept the TechArt ones:

deadmik3 (Mike) bought them and ran them on his White MK5 Rabbit for about three months. He had 1" adapters on them that changed his specs to et31 in the front and et25 in the back with 205/40-17 Nitto NeoGens.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I decided to just take the tires off and start breaking them down. Found out that the silicone (window/glass silicone, not RTV) was not cured and basically slung from the seam of the wheels to the inside of the tire... :facepalm: Also, (I'm not sure how this happened) one of the tires was filled with water.

Now I don't feel bad about taking them apart. These would never have sealed the way I bought them.

Nick taking the tires off:

Wheels and tires separated:

This is the pile of cured and uncured silicone the size of a softball found on the inside of the tires. Let me be clear, this is not any of the silicone that came off the wheels themselves. This was floating and/or adhered to the inside of the tires:

I'll post more pictures of what the seams on the wheels look like later when I get the chance.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
You do not want to use RTV silicone. Use this stuff, it's rated for aluminum and works great. I used it on my old Desmonds and had zero leaks. You will need a few bottles to do a full set of wheels
http://www.lowes.com/pd_105723-72643-LW5050_0__?productId=3076677

Makes sure anywhere the silicone touches has no paint/powdercoat/etc. and it is well scuffed and clean. It will peel right off if there is anything other than metal under where you apply it.

I took a wiz wheel to both the lip and barrel and cleaned off about 1/2" area on each one. Cleaned them really well then bolted the wheels together.

Then used painters tape and mask of stripe about 1/4" wide where the seam is and run a small bead of the silicone in there and push it smooth with your finger. Then pull the tape off and you will have a perfect 1/4" bead of silicone. Let that cure for 24 hours then come back and do it again but with 1/2" gap in the tape as to cover the first bead you laid down. Run a nice small bead as to get a thin coat and smooth it out covering the old bead and up to the tape. Then pull the tape and let it cure for 24 hours before mounting the tires.

You do it this way and you will have NO LEAKS AT ALL!!!

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
1 - 20 of 241 Posts