VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

· Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting a new thread to document my adventures, details, and planning for a C8. I've commented here and there in other threads but why not a dedicated one.

As of the start of this thread, I had placed a Z06 deposit with Ciocca which ended up being between 4500 and 5000 in line so I pulled out and sent one over to MacMulkin. I'm at 1,599 in line which is still many years down the road. Well, today I find myself in Florida visiting the parents and had the bright idea to browse Turo. Welp, why not rent a C8 Stingray to see if I even like the dang thing.

Grabbed this for a couple of days.

I have many thoughts about which i'll post in a day in detailed format. I still have another 12 hours with it. Shoot any questions over.

· Registered
6,765 Posts
Turo's offering is so cool. Really changes the traditional derogatory meaning of 'rental car', doesn't it?

I'm also curious to know about how the interior works for you.

Is the OEM exhaust loud? When do you really hear and feel it?

· Premium Member
13,908 Posts
Just waiting to see your thoughts. Would like to hear how these compare to the Tesla & S2000

· Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
23,687 Posts
Just waiting to see your thoughts. Would like to hear how these compare to the Tesla & S2000
AP1 owner, been around quite a bit in a C8 (both Z51 and non-Z51). the non-Z51 feels a lot more like the s2000, much more mechanical, it lacks the trick E-Diff in the Z51 and therefore feels more analog to a traditional rear drive car particularly mid-corner. it will power oversteer and i found both C8's to be very tractable at their limits. the transmission is excellent, but of course is flappy-paddle and different than the traditional rifle-bolt accuracy of the s2000. as a driver's car, the C8 is very comfortable on the street and the mag-ride is literally magic. The cabins actually remind me of each other given how both feel a bit more closed in (the s2000 was intentionally narrowed to feel more cockpit like). the space in the C8 is obviously a bit different, but the front and rear trunks do offer a lot of extra room with a bit more flexibility - of course there is no comparison to the C7 and earlier models with their generally capacious rear cargo areas.

just my two cents and sure there are more comments from TommieTank. (y)

Reactions: CTK

· Premium Member
6,000 Posts
I got to beat on a 3LT C8 a few months ago. I came away impressed. In person, the car looks great inside and out (short every one of the factory wheels, which are lame). I thought build quality was nice, and the drivetrain was great. The V8 is turbine smooth, and doesn't feel as fast as it is given this fact. It looked and felt like a 100k car...which makes sense that they are selling at those prices.

· Registered
895 Posts
I am #1096 on MacMulkin Z06 list. Was on their Stingray list and it moved 500 spots in about three months. Don't expect it to be as fast for Z06 but certainly people will drop off the list in addition to allocations should keep it moving.

Have ridden in a C8 at Barret-Jackson in the parking lot with a performance driver, came away very impressed. Still have not driven one but maybe I should go the Turo route as well. Looking forward to your impressions!

· Registered
2003 Honda S2000, 2018 Subaru BRZ, 2015 GX460
23,687 Posts
Ok, wait a minute.

ONE dealership has 5000 Z06 customers waiting?
yeah, the bigger Chevy dealers have waiting lists in the thousands. a friend that works for GM had one a few weeks back, I didn't get a ride, but dear lord it sounded/drove wicked when he pulled away.

· Registered
895 Posts
Ok, wait a minute.

ONE dealership has 5000 Z06 customers waiting?
Ciocca, formerly known as Kerbeck, is largest Corvette dealer and get more inventory than any other. MacMulkin is second largest. Ciocca opened their C8 Z06 deposits shortly after the Z06 reveal on a Tuesday at 11 AM. They had to stop at 5000 within the first hour. People were in line at the dealer and also trying to get wire transfers as fast as possible. Deposit amount is $2000 then to try and eliminate some they ask for an additional $3000 a couple weeks later. The deposit is fully refundable though. My wire went through at 11:15 AM and I was 1200 something so had them send a refund, received a week or so after request.

Sorry to hijack OP but figure there's several here interested.

· Registered
RS3, Forester
23,386 Posts
Ciocca, formerly known as Kerbeck, is largest Corvette dealer and get more inventory than any other. MacMulkin is second largest. Ciocca opened their C8 Z06 deposits shortly after the Z06 reveal on a Tuesday at 11 AM. They had to stop at 5000 within the first hour. People were in line at the dealer and also trying to get wire transfers as fast as possible. Deposit amount is $2000 then to try and eliminate some they ask for an additional $3000 a couple weeks later. The deposit is fully refundable though. My wire went through at 11:15 AM and I was 1200 something so had them send a refund, received a week or so after request.

Sorry to hijack OP but figure there's several here interested.
Are they selling them for MSRP?

1 - 20 of 227 Posts