VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
201 - 220 of 227 Posts

· Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 · (Edited)
Congrats on your new baby!!!

Just getting in on this thread but from your previous posts, you're based out of New Hampshire, right?

Well then this is direct from the NH DMV website so some of those plate ideas are a no-no. Plenty of them are fine ideas, my personal fav so far is the JORTS one.

View attachment 252017
Not NH, Vermont. The dealer is in NH though. Ive been writing down some ideas tho. JORTS is funny.

Wow, that seems quick, like back to the old days kind of quick. Maybe I missed it but what's happening with the Boxster? Keeping two sports cars? Selling it?
well see below. Plan was to evaluate in the summer but was leaning on selling the C8 and keeping the Boxster. Deposit in April and delivery in Feb. Solid 10 Months.

Welp degenerates and TFL, chime in here. I'm getting cold feet on paying up. Called up my credit union Thursday, everything looked good, they cut a check an hour after I called. All I have to do is fedex it to the dealer and the C8 is mine. I think I feel this way before and after every car purchase but this one even more so. Seems excessive in this environment. I work in tech and looking at the market, you can't help but feel bad for so many layoffs these days. Heck, I got the boot last summer even though I landed pretty fast with multiple offers. My company is super solid and I feel that my project is well funded for a while so I'm not exactly sweating myself but who knows. Wife works, no kids, investment properties are good. I just have this shameful feeling of buying some silly $86k car.

I think I tend to justify car spending by thinking I can dump it for minimal loss or profit. And this is no different. MacMulkin is price protecting me $2500 from todays MSRP because they locked me in last April when the deposit was placed. Because I went through with production, that $2k deposit is not refundable now. So all I owe MacMulkin is $81.5k on a $86.5k car who's MSRP will prob go up in a couple of months. The days of over MSRP flipping are gone but, if I'm into the car for $81.5k, waitlist for new production slots are still 9 months deep, maybe I can tool around for abit this summer and dump for $81k again which is under MSRP? I already have a cool ass car too. This decision was super easy last year when flipping for $10k over easy, all you had to do was wait. But now...

But then I think about all the fun I had last summer with my car friends, events, club meets and all. And I'm reminded that our time is short. This month, a husband of a family friend ended up in the hospital with all kinds of pain. Docs find pancreatic cancer and its pretty advanced. He's too weak for treatment now and he's in his 60s. Its a wrap really. I think of that and say "fudge these puritanical beliefs! YOLO all the cars!". Thats my overshare for the month. What does TCL say I do?

· Registered
11 Posts
Starting a new thread to document my adventures, details, and planning for a C8. I've commented here and there in other threads but why not a dedicated one.

As of the start of this thread, I had placed a Z06 deposit with Ciocca which ended up being between 4500 and 5000 in line so I pulled out and sent one over to MacMulkin. I'm at 1,599 in line which is still many years down the road. Well, today I find myself in Florida visiting the parents and had the bright idea to browse Turo. Welp, why not rent a C8 Stingray to see if I even like the dang thing.

Grabbed this for a couple of days.

I have many thoughts about, which i'll post in a day in detailed format. I still have another 12 hours with it. Shoot any questions over.
That's a nice thing to do, instead of buying, rent it. This way you can get to know how it feels to drive the car, how it behaves, the cost of gas, maintenance, and much more. After a few days, you can get to know whether you like it or not. Great decision.

Just 1 thing to ask: What about the insurance? I mean you transfer the insurance or buy rental car insurance, or the company is taking care of everything? If you can guide me a little on this part too that will be great.

· Registered
8,310 Posts
Welp degenerates and TFL, chime in here. I'm getting cold feet on paying up..... I think I feel this way before and after every car purchase but this one even more so. Seems excessive in this environment. I work in tech and looking at the market, you can't help but feel bad for so many layoffs these days. .........Wife works, no kids, investment properties are good. I just have this shameful feeling of buying some silly $86k car.

What does TCL say I do?
I was in your position last year and also waffled before plunging head first into dream car ownership.

My advice to you: just do it.

You have ample buffer that you earned (investment properties, solid job) and limited obligations (no kids), just do it.

Trust me as someone who is extremely risk averse, you will not think about the money the moment you stab that gas pedal on your favorite back road.

If **** hits the fan , you can always sell and recover majority (if not all) of your money.

· Registered
3,007 Posts
Yeah man, what's your worst case outlay? TT+L and you take a bath to the tune of 10k if/when the market softens? If you're comfortable with that loss (just pretend you bout a model y before the price cuts =D) then YOLO. if you're not... why were you entertaining buying a near 90k car?

· Premium Member
6,000 Posts
Do it. Life is short. You and your wife will likely make memories in the C8 that far outlive any recollection of money lost. Life is about collecting memories and experiences. You are fortunate to have the means to buy a machine that helps to facilitate that. Go for it and don’t look back.

· Registered
870 Posts
that's a tough decision only you and your wife should do.

I feel similar with my C8 that now seems will get allocation in two months, so probably here by summer, drive it around for a few months, sell it, get my money back, shouldn't be too hard considering my C8 would "only" be $66K sticker but hard to predict in this economy. Good thing is that my dealer confirmed I can get my deposit back prior to delivery but also I am not price protected and at mercy of MSRP increases.

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,645 Posts
I get it. I felt similarly about my WRX. It was a selfish indulgence. At least give yourself the chance to own it. You can always pass it along if you still feel guilty.

· Registered
8,310 Posts
I get it. I felt similarly about my WRX. It was a selfish indulgence. At least give yourself the chance to own it. You can always pass it along if you still feel guilty.
Agree. It's definitely selfish - I assume that is the source of discomfort for OP -vs- the money itself.

It is selfish but at the same time, you are on a car forum sharing your passion with strangers for decades for a reason. Indulge that passion while you can as long you can meet your other obligations /goals.

· Registered
1,873 Posts
Do it. Life is short. You and your wife will likely make memories in the C8 that far outlive any recollection of money lost. Life is about collecting memories and experiences. You are fortunate to have the means to buy a machine that helps to facilitate that. Go for it and don’t look back.
The only problem with this logic is that he ALREADY has a great (I believe manual) sports car that can be used to make all sorts of great memories. Take the 80K and plan an across Europe driving trip with the 981 if memories are really what is desired.

That said, you wanted the Vette, you can afford it, I'd take delivery and use it for the summer. Don't sell the 981. Drive them both, decide which one makes you happier and then sell the other one. If you do that I'm guessing the Vette will cost you at least $10,000 for a summer of fun, if you can stomach that then go for it. If the thought of spending 5 figures on something that may not give you any additional joy is anathema to you then I'd forfeit the deposit and move on.

· Registered
‘21 SQ5 & ‘16 Golf R
51,461 Posts
Welp degenerates and TFL, chime in here. I'm getting cold feet on paying up. Called up my credit union Thursday, everything looked good, they cut a check an hour after I called. All I have to do is fedex it to the dealer and the C8 is mine. I think I feel this way before and after every car purchase but this one even more so. Seems excessive in this environment. I work in tech and looking at the market, you can't help but feel bad for so many layoffs these days. Heck, I got the boot last summer even though I landed pretty fast with multiple offers. My company is super solid and I feel that my project is well funded for a while so I'm not exactly sweating myself but who knows. Wife works, no kids, investment properties are good. I just have this shameful feeling of buying some silly $86k car.

I think I tend to justify car spending by thinking I can dump it for minimal loss or profit. And this is no different. MacMulkin is price protecting me $2500 from todays MSRP because they locked me in last April when the deposit was placed. Because I went through with production, that $2k deposit is not refundable now. So all I owe MacMulkin is $81.5k on a $86.5k car who's MSRP will prob go up in a couple of months. The days of over MSRP flipping are gone but, if I'm into the car for $81.5k, waitlist for new production slots are still 9 months deep, maybe I can tool around for abit this summer and dump for $81k again which is under MSRP? I already have a cool ass car too. This decision was super easy last year when flipping for $10k over easy, all you had to do was wait. But now...

But then I think about all the fun I had last summer with my car friends, events, club meets and all. And I'm reminded that our time is short. This month, a husband of a family friend ended up in the hospital with all kinds of pain. Docs find pancreatic cancer and its pretty advanced. He's too weak for treatment now and he's in his 60s. Its a wrap really. I think of that and say "fudge these puritanical beliefs! YOLO all the cars!". Thats my overshare for the month. What does TCL say I do?
If you really wanted the car you wouldn't have had to type all of that.

· Registered
964 Posts
If you really wanted the car you wouldn't have had to type all of that.
Oh man, this kicks right in the nuts. It's true. You can't YOLO with permissions and rationalization!

Tommie - has the waiting taken some of the luster off the car or is it purely a financial/value reconsideration given the market correction? Is there something to the idea of taking your C8 money, sell the Boxster, and going for broke with a poster car; Huracan, F430, SLS, NSX, R8, DB11, 5g Viper, 650S, GT3, etc. I get jealous of those guys that have the guts to do that, enjoy it, contently lay out for maintenance/upkeep, and get the steward experience. I'd like to be that passionate about a car. It's inspiring (and simultaneously terrifying). I guess that's the real appeal of the C8 huh, 90% that experience at 50% the price.

Maybe it's time to hit Turo and get a refresher with the C8? A perfect excuse for a getaway trip to Miami or Vegas for a long weekend in some sunshine to try out a few ideas...

· Registered
Model 3P, 981 Boxster S
4,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I appreciate everyone's words of encouragement. I went ahead and sent in payment. The reg docs are on their way which I need to finish before they release it. Funny how they make you register it so its not being flipped. They offer in house PPF application and man, I did not realize how much PPF is. I asked for a modified quote of just the bumper and hood where they came back at $1200 which seemed reasonable. I looked up local xpel installers and the single company around me quoted me 70% more for the same work. Eff that! Below is their pricing. Full car is $7700.

I can technically pic up the car by Saturday and with all the snow around here, I need to wait until a dry day rolls around. Hopefully the following weekend I can make it happen!

Wheel Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

· Registered
2023 Subaru Outback
5,645 Posts
I'll take that white one 😍

Yours is so perfectly classic Corvette to me and it's fantastic 👍

• Love
Reactions: Tommietank
201 - 220 of 227 Posts