VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Nice to see that you are taking care of the problems and get it back into good shape.
How's the Jetta? I think I remember it when I went to Redding in 2006 (I think). It wasn't running at the time. I may have you confused with someone else.

Sent from my finger to you

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Besides the fuel tank swap I'm halfway through the biggest 'swap' yet.

Swapped front and rear wheels, installed late mk3 strut bushings and replaced pads and rotor with like New ones from my old mk3. And that's just the passenger side. Now to do the drivers side, wash up and go for a drive.

I'm hoping using the mk2 spring cap with the late mk3 bushing is ok. I think it will be but if it's not please let me know.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So apparently what I thought was a slight oil leak is actually a fuel leak. Um... $h!t. Oil hasn't moved since I topped it off 3 weeks ago and the cars marking its territory alot but only when it's running. My dad pointed out yesterday the spots are eating the asphalt so it's gas...

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So my dad and I were wrong. First time ever he's been wrong. I'm not joking on that one. Swapped the oil cap for the one off my aba in the shop and the leak seems to have gone away, for now. Few days ago I finally fixed the headlights. They were set up to come on in both positions of the switch. Now I actually have a three position switch. Swapping the mk2 front strut bushings for late mk3 seems to have raised the front of the car a half inch or so. AND THE CLUNKS GONE!!!

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So much I want to do to this car. My mom keeps asking me if I'm done yet. I just look at her, laugh and say far from done. I'll always find something to fix... 'fix'.

I did pick up some fabric on the way home. It's going on the rear parcel shelf which I pulled last night. I'm thinking of using the same material on the door cards but I'm not sure about the headliner. The a b and c pillars are either getting painted black or wrapped in black fleece. And the headliner is either going to be black fleece or a fleece similar to the rear shelf. I'll post pics in a second.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Finally figured out why the fog lights didn't work. Dirty contacts either on or in the relay... all I did was pulled the relay tapped it on the door sill a few times and reinstalled it. Easiest fix I have ever done on this car and almost the easiest on a vw ever. Second only to my friends no start issue with his mk1. Somehow he unplugged his starter wire. :banghead:

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
FV-QR

last few days i have been fighting a no power about half throttle issue. yesterday i removed and cleaned the throttle body and finally fixed my temp fix on the vacuum port on the idle switch side of the throttle body.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Cleaned my mess in the shop so I could get my car in there.

From this.

To this

Tied up a few loose wires and fuel lines with zip ties and found out the backup switch and wiring are fine. The problem is something in the trans isn't contacting the switch. And the I started it and let it idle for a few minutes. Push it back to look at how bad the oil leak is and holy ****, not driving it til my parts order with all the belt side oil seals comes in.

That's at most 5 minutes of just idling. But at least it runs better then a month ago and I'm fixing it up.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Decided since I need to replace the cam, crank and intermittent shaft seals I'm gonna pull the engine, trans and rear subframe to do what I need a little easier. And I figure while I have the engine out putting the subframe from my old mk3 in. Still debating on weather or not to swap out the front mount for the mk3 one or not. I guess it all depends on how it lines up. Also still debating whether or not to swap out the power steering setup as well. Only problem is if I do that I need a mk3 alternator and ac pump so I can do the deep swap.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It's more like urinating oil. Today I finally got the distributor seal replaced and timed it by ear. It's got alot of power now and runs great.

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
How's the Jetta? I think I remember it when I went to Redding in 2006 (I think). It wasn't running at the time. I may have you confused with someone else.

It still a ongoing project, my daughter is taking it over and has some plans for it.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
It still a ongoing project, my daughter is taking it over and has some plans for it.
Daughter? I thought you were younger then me...

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
My parts order from gap came in tonight.

I'll get started tomorrow on getting it all in. This is gonna take at least two nights. Gonna pull the engine and trans to inspect them closer and so I can get a better look at the firewall and inner fenders. And I figure while I'm in there I might as well pit the rear subframe from my old mk3 in. I may just do a DIY with pics on the subframe swap.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Im 40 and my daughter is 17.
Well I'll be damned. Your ten years older then me.

Got the motor ready to come out last night. So I had my dad come look at a few things on the car today. Got my game plan from here on with pulling the motor. Core support and front subframe needs to come out so the motor can come out the front. Then I can lift the car and drop the rear subframe out so the mk3 subframe can go back in. The steering rack is staying in the car along with most of the suspension. But before any of that can happen I need to drain the trans fluid. Apparently I need a special tool. I have the right size hex head but I guess it needs to have a dish in it to get the plug out.

Tonight's plan is to remove exhaust(it's ugly. I'll post a pic later), disconnect axles, remove core support and finally pull the motor and subframe and(if my friend comes today to help me get the mk3 subframe down from upstairs) put the mk3 subframe back in. And last thing for tonight is inspecting everything, cleaning the oil mess off of everything and putting all the parts in except fluids.

Tomorrow night (hopefully) it all goes back in. Just need to get a new knock sensor since the plastic plug end disintegrated in my hand when I was unplugging it.

Last but not least I need to figure out the egr tube. Idk if I even have the right one.

21 - 40 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.