VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got the motor out last night.

Depending on how my knee feels tonight I'll get the motor cleaned up seals replaced and start cleaning the engine bay and replace shift linkage. And then if there's time put the exhaust from my old mk3 in along with the new cat and exhaust manifold. Once that's all done I'll get on getting the motor back in and replace the knock sensor between cyl 3 and 4 since the connector fell apart when I unplugged it.

I still need to find a egr tube since what I thought was the egr tube is just the test port.

Sent from my finger to you

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Finally got a few pics of the old exhaust I cut out.

Notice the different sized pipes?

New exhaust that's gonna go in. With a few parts from the old exhaust.

And can anyone id these two cats. The top one is out of the car but looks like a mk1 cat and bottom came with the car and looks like a mk3 cat but without the second o2 bung. I'm thinking the bottom one is the correct one.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
So after my timing fiasco the last few days the motors almost ready to go back in. Now that I know the flywheel timing marks are off because the flywheel was installed wrong I can do the timing belt oil seals and be ready to put the motor back in.

What's left before she's running again.
Timing belt and cam intermittent and crank oil seals
Water pump
Mk3 subframe install
Swap power steering rack boots from mk3 rack to rack in car
Swap pan and windage tray from aba motor
Drain and refill trans fluid
Install aftermarket mk3 exhaust
And finally put the motor back in and get wired back up

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Looking good man I bet you can't wait to crank her over for the first time again lol
Oh yeah. She's gonna be a beast and hopefully not sound ricy anymore. That and be able to breath. The exhaust I pulled out looked really restrictive. New exhaust is 2 1/4" from my old mk3. All I need is knock sensors and mk3 exhaust hangers and she will be back together. Well that and a egr tube and my mk3 subframe down from the attic.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Going to be sweet gives me motivation for my build haha, what do you have planned for paint?
Right now I'm just working on getting it running, smogged and sounding better. Pulled the motor to make it easier to get to the belt side oil seals and clean the oily grease off the firewall. I have a bad knee and can't stand over the fender long enough to work on it in the car. Decided pulling the motor was easier since I can sit on the floor and still reach everything. Plus some of the wires I needed to fix there wasn't enough room with the motor in.

Eventually I do want to take it down to the shell and repaint it t red and put a aba/16v in with a lhysolm charger. But I have a mk1 that gets done first. The mk1 was retired from daily status when I got this car. I wanted a project to work on while I'm not working. But for now I'll just wax the hell out of the paint to make it look halfway decent. Hood roof and trunk need respray since the clear coats peeling on them. My solution is sand it smooth and paint them black.

After I get it back together I'm thinking of getting for a tilt and slide sunroof and power motor and a new headliner. Then wrap all the upper trim in fleece. Somewhere in there is upgrading the brakes. 4 piston front calipers and mk4 rear calipers. And then lights a trim. And all that while restoring my mk1. Yeah I like to over do things but the outcome is well worth it.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Keep going. I've had a few times I just wanted to give up. Usually it's because my dads getting mad my cars in pieces all over his shop and he can't get around.
When I get around to doing the full rebuild on this one and when my mk1 is done I'm thinking of finding a graphite grey mk4 gli 1.8t for a Dd. Yeah I know sacrilege but I like the 1.8t in the mk4 gli.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Finally figured out the exhaust and got it in. Gotta get the motor in before I can finish it.

After the motors in I can get the exit of the cat attached to the exhaust and weld the hanger at the end of the tunnel on the exhaust. That and decide which tail pipe I want to use. Dual or single.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Finally got the mk3 subframe down from the attic. Now to put it in and wait to have money for the last batch of parts I need before I can put the motor in. But until then I have plenty to do. Mainly pulling the lower part of the heater box to fix some foam issues.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Subframes ready to go in. Just gotta figure out if the mk3 ps lines will work in a mk2 and decide if I want to use the mk2 or mk3 control arms and tie rods. I'm thinking it will be easy to swap them with it in the car so I'll try the mk3 first.

Gotta pull the heater box and figure out why it wasn't blowing hot air or even out of the right vent. :banghead:

After the heater box is done I'm gonna mount the subframe to the motor and get that in. Still need knock sensors and a few other parts before I put the core support on. On the bright side I can finish the exhaust once the motors in.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I know I already posted this in the what did you do to your mk2 today thread but hey this is my "build thread" so :p

Fixed the blend doors in the heater box. Broke the plastic one and had to re glue it and installed it all back in the car.

Also replaced foam on defroster vent.

And foam on firewall for heater core.

And then as I'm getting ready to put the dash in I found another cut wire. :banghead: argh. Any ideas?
black w/red and brown on white plug. White w/blue and brown cut on other plug. Then there's the brown w/red that's cut to.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
With my moms help went from

No motor

To

Motor mounted

Mk3 rear subframe and power steering system. (rubber hose from tank to pump from mk2 since the mk3 line doesn't fit) Mk3 ps pulley lines up just fine.

Hockey puck front and rear motor mounts.

Mk3 control arms and tie rods. Control arms have poly bushings. I'll put r32 rears in later. If it's to wide its not that hard to swap the mk2 tie rods and control arms.

Next thing is finish connecting the exhaust and reconnect all the wires and hoses and fix a few more wires. Might be a week or two before she's running but only because I'm broke and need another $150 worth of parts I either broke or forgot about. All in all she should be off the Jack stands tonight... I hope.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Finally got around to using the fabric I've had since August. Did the drivers door panel and sunroof crank cover. Had to change my original idea since the fabric I used wouldn't stretch enough for the corners. What a pita the door panel was but it was worth it. On to the pics.

I like how it turned out. Now to find enough fabric for the other 3 doors parcel shelf and headliner. That and either get a headliner or do my idea and then decide what I want to do with the pillar trim. Not going to leave it stock. Either wrap it or paint it.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Keep it up..Oh and more pics of the help ;)
My mom would kill me if I posted pics of her helping. She only helped put the motor in. Other then that it's been how I like working on my cars, me.

And to update I FINALLY got the drain plug out of the trans. Still waiting to save up some money to get the last $150 worth of parts I need to put it back together and get it smogged. Knock sensors, ps fluid, cap, rotor and egr tube.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Finally got my parts and started putting the motor back together. Got the back done and the suspension back together before my knee decided to give out.

This is all I have left to put on before it's running again.

Last week

Couple days ago

41 - 60 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.