VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Been a while since I updated this. She's coming along nicely.

I guess I never posted this pic.

Couple weeks ago I got most of the parts in and started to install the radiator. Mk3 fan shroud needed a little more adjustment with the cutoff wheel and started getting the front back together. Fluids, plugs, tighten crank bolt, finish front mount and she's ready to start... I hope. Just waiting for a dry day so I can push my dad's truck out from under the lift. Once it's running I gotta smog it and then beat on it and work out any kinks before the 4+ hour drive in March to really the only g2g I go to.

Sent from my finger to you

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Crank bolt, trans fluid and spark plugs are all that's left before she's running. That and figure out why the radiator after run no longer works. Had to replace all the quick disconnects and union on the fan wiring. Everything is reconnected exactly as it was before just with better connections. Low and high speed both work great but after run doesn't do anything when the wire is grounded.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
So apparently it was the full throttle switch wiring shorting out making it not rev. She runs albeit a little lumpy(I think it has an aftermarket cam). Haven't driven it yet but I'm so happy and she will be off the lift tomorrow. *happy dance*

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Looking good! What are you end goals with it? Just make a nice daily out of it?
For now that's the goal. Long term(or rather when my mk1 is done) my goal is a full rebuild on the body, suspension, interior and a aba/16v swap possibly with a super charger. O2A will happen either way. Near future plans are a stereo setup that no one will understand why but oh well, its my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fan

Crank bolt, trans fluid and spark plugs are all that's left before she's running. That and figure out why the radiator after run no longer works. Had to replace all the quick disconnects and union on the fan wiring. Everything is reconnected exactly as it was before just with better connections. Low and high speed both work great but after run doesn't do anything when the wire is grounded.

Did you get the fan running? I have 2 MKIIIs and know that there is a fan relay under the coolant tank that has gone bad on me before.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Did you get the fan running? I have 2 MKIIIs and know that there is a fan relay under the coolant tank that has gone bad on me before.
It kinda just fixed itself. Now I gotta fix my isv and tach issue.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Painted the hood and started polishing the passenger side.

this was the good side before i started polishing the other side

claybar'd and coarse pad done. now to polish and wax.

Couple days ago i put the vr lip off of my old mk3 on. other then the fitment in the corners i like it.

Tomorrow ill hopefully get to the drivers side.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
didnt feel like polishing the drivers side today so i did the next best thing. ill let the pics do most of the talking.

started with

and two hours later ended up with

so after my parents and i get back from our trip to a doctors appointment and funeral for the next week ill get everything all cleaned up and put back in. until then it can just sit with the car.

yes i figured out how to pull the headrests AFTER i had the seats out. with them off will make it so much easier to reinstall.

while pulling the console out i somehow hit the heat selector and broke the wire... ARGH.

also removed the last of the old speaker wires and got a better plan on how and where to route everything for my stereo install idea.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
So I guess I forgot to post this last week. A few weeks ago I finally found a quad round grill at pick n pull in Redding. Quite literally stumbled upon it as I was looking for parts I didn't know I wanted/needed.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Been trying to save money to get it smogged and new tires. But I've been slowly doing things as I think of them. Finally finished buffing the sides.

Before

And after

It's a world of difference. My mom even says she likes it now that it looks better.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Nice...:)
but why 4 lamps grille in jetta? :x WHYYY?
Because it's my car and I like the grille. the badgeless single round looked like it was missing something, so I added two lights and a badge(funny part is the front and rear vw badges are actually off of my old mk3). Plus more lights means more visibility and therefore no excuses of, "I didn't see it" or similar. I'm thinking of converting the tails and front blinkers to all led boards instead of bulbs. Pretty much if you don't see it or hear it something's wrong. Had the same sentiment with my mk1 diesel. Air horn and pa help as well. Yeah I'm one of those people.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Well I finally got the grille lights wired in by relaying the headlights. All materials either I or my dad already had. Kind of winged some fuse holders but the work just fine for now. I messed up in a few spots and I'll end up redoing it when I get more wire and heat shrink. Anyways on to the pics.

First the harness

Before harness

After harness

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
So the interior is finally back together... for now.

Finally got around to recovering the c pillar trim and rear shelf cover and putting the trunk board from my old mk3 golf in. Just had to trim a few inches off of one side and make a cut out for the tank bump in the floor.

Just need to get some more fake wood to finish out the extra length of the trunk.

I also got the radio harness from my parts car in up to the dash. Now to pull the dash for probably the tenth time to finish putting it in. I still need to find some door speakers but I have an idea.

61 - 80 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.