VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Well I found the stereo ground in my parts car... And I get to pull the dash AGAIN in my car to pit it in and fix the antenna wire.
Test fitted the wheels off of my parts car.... I like them. Just need a red pin strip.

Yes they are multilug and I really don't care.

Sent from my finger to yours.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Haven't had a chance to pull the dash again but I will when I get home Monday.

In the last week or two I've gotten a few things done that needed to be done.

Tried shortening the shifter while it was still in the car and broke the nibs off in the process.

So I took the one out of my parts car

Threaded and shortened it two inches

Well in order to get the old one out and the new one in I had to Jack up the side.
This is why

Didn't have to Jack it very far. Two Jack stands and the floor Jack just incase.

While I was down there I got a case of the might as wells. Swapped out what I thought was a good o2 sensor for a known working one and tightened a few bolts while I was there. Who ever put the old o2 sensor in didn't use anti seize and it was a pita to get out.

And the result of all the work...

It's even with the seat bolsters. Just like I did in my old mk3.

Few days ago I went to start it and it ran like crap. Turned it off and started it yesterday. O2 issues fixed but now I need to replace the isv and hall sender.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Apparently tapatalk isn't letting me upload pics or even find this thread. I'll be updating pics with my computer later. Alot of little things have gotten done. I'll post about it later from my computer.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Hopefully this works.

It's amazing to me that this car has gone from ****ty running and looking like this

To running pretty damn good and looking like this.

Still got a ways to go but it's getting there.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
And the final pre smog parts are ordered and will be here within the next week or so. Get them in, some 91 octane in the tank, some hard rips down the road and she's ready for smog. After smog I'm moving from Ferndale, CA to Chico, CA and attending Butte College Automotive Program.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
So putting the under car fuel pump and lines in and some 91 gas seems to have fixed all the issues. Timings dead on at 6 btdc and it revs real good. Don't know about the dieseling since I gotta fix my cluster first. Put home made overlays in and the temp and gas needles hang up on the paper. Not really a hard fix but a pita. I'll do some romps down the road tomorrow and possibly have her smogged by Friday. YAY!!!!

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 · (Edited)
It never ends. Found another issue. Got an egr code. Implausible signal. Apparently the IAT died sometime in the last few months because it checked out fine when I had the motor out. And also whoever previously took the vacuum amplifier apart put it back together wrong. Now that fixed. I have an IAT from my old mk3 that I want to try to put in tomorrow. Problem is the threads on it are bigger but I don't mind drilling the hole out.

I've had to fix something with EVERYTHING engine wise since I got this car. Only one of the previous owners hack jobs to fix is the flywheel. Single pin flywheel on the wrong pin of a dual pin pressure plate. Owner before the girl I bought this car from was apparently a Honda guy. I need to put all the ac stuff under the hood in since it was all gone, including the back of the ac pump, when I got it.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
So she had her first smog today. Passed everything but the egr. Apparently the amplifier fix I did didn't work. So now to redo it.

And on the iat/egr code thing it ended up being something wrong with the ground connection in the ecu harness.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
My roof rack finally showed up. Not the best way to mount it but it'll work for now.

Hopefully its not to noisy. Then again the exhaust kinda drowns out everything anyways.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
So I finally fixed the amplifier and she runs awesome. Probably should double check the cam timing since it feels a little off but it runs smooth. Really smooth for having hockey pucks for motor mounts. Probably didn't help the butt dyno that I loaded the trunk up with alot of stuff I'm taking to move Friday. Let's hope she passes smog tomorrow. Was kinda odd that I get her running awesome exactly a year after I bought her.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
6 hour drive from my parents in Ferndale, ca to my new home in Chico, CA. Arrived at about 5pm. I think I had a bit to much weight but I made it. Kept an eye on the oil temp. It climbed to 252°f a few times but that was on steep long hills. Stayed between 230 and 240 most of the way. I had probably a good 500 pounds of stuff in and on the car. Oddly after the first time it got to 250 it gained a bit of power.

And on a lighter note I figured out how to get it in the driveway here. Pull in nose first and then turn around so I can go out nose first.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
I like it, except the black part on the hood, and red fabric inside.
Both will change eventually. For now they hide ugly stuff.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
The hood won't change much. Need to work on the placement. The door panels will get new less distracting fabric when I get my other set of door panels from my parents house. But that means a 12 hour round trip and a trailer full of car parts I have no room for yet.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
So in the last few days I've been chasing rattles and fueling issues. All but one rattle are fixed. And I checked everything for the fuel issues.... I guess I need to replace the under car pump.

I did however refix the distributor oil leak. Swapped hall sender for the one from my old mk3 a month or so ago and I guess I damaged the seal. Was a quick 15 minute fix. Was hoping that would fix my fuel issue but I guess not. Put a new fuel filter in. Old one was DIRTY. Liked like thin used diesel oil.

And then apparently one of my oil pressure sensors stopped working. The oil light doesn't come on with the engine off unless I cycle the ignition a few times. I know I need to do the ignition switch. I have a new one. Just gotta put it in.

81 - 100 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.