VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

My Sunroof Leaks !!!

892 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  audiness 
#1 ·
I"m mad and need to Vent !!!

It has been raining for the past 5 days... and today I noticed my passenger seat is all Wet!!
My sunroof is leaking!
I did some reading on Audiworld, and I found out that my drain holes can be clogged. So when it stops raining , if it ever does, i'll have to try to find out if they are clogged somehow. I have no idea how I am going to accomplish this.....
just need to vent
&^%#@!#@$@^&!*&*^%@*%(* ^%$&$#@$#@$&^

[Modified by audiness, 5:23 PM 11-29-2001]

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: My Sunroof Leaks !!! (audiness)

welcome to Audi....my 1987 4000 had a horrible leak in the sunroof, after raining all night, it would spill probably enough to fill a 12oz can...directly on my back. hows that for a rude awakening at 6am in the winter?
now that pissed me off

~Danny

#10 ·
Re: My Sunroof Leaks !!! (NC-GTI)

I opened it up the other day, got my compressor, and blew out the 2 front drains. They didn't seem to be clogged at all. I can't even see or find the back drains.... so if it rains i have to park my car on a hill so the water drains to the front vents......
I think I bought the Audi so i didn't have to worry about Quality issues like this..... oh well........

#11 ·
Re: My Sunroof Leaks !!! (NC-GTI)

I opened it up the other day, got my compressor, and blew out the 2 front drains. They didn't seem to be clogged at all. I can't even see or find the back drains.... so if it rains i have to park my car on a hill so the water drains to the front drains......
I think I bought the Audi so i didn't have to worry about Quality issues like this..... oh well........

#12 ·
Re: My Sunroof Leaks !!! (audiness)

I think I might know what is happening with your sunroof. On my VW it happened and audi uses the same concept. The sunroof seal is not a watertight one so some water will seep in and is supposed to drain out the drain channels. Okay the rear section of the sunroof where it tilts up there is a drain channel that runs from the front the passenger across to the driver. This rear channel easily snaps away from the 2 side drain channels that go into the A-pillars. When this happens it slides back into the rear section of the roof or maybe just a 1/4" and that's all it takes to not be directly under the seal of the sunroofs rear when it closes. So when water seeps through the NOT WATER TIGHT sunroof seal, it no longer has the channel there to direct the water to the drain tubes, so water drips into the car. Happened on my VR6 Jetta and it was a pain in the A*s. And after seeing that my drain tubes were okay I noticed that the rear horizontal plastic channel was 1/4" away from where it needed to be. Check it out maybe that's your culprit. And unfortunately you need to purchase the entire frame, well at least VW makes you!!!
Good luck hope this helps out.
[Modified by AudiNUT, 10:13 PM 12-3-2001]

[Modified by AudiNUT, 10:14 PM 12-3-2001]

[Modified by AudiNUT, 10:16 PM 12-3-2001]

[Modified by AudiNUT, 10:16 PM 12-3-2001]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.