VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped Rumblebunny off today for some maint and a couple annoying items to be fixed...

Console rattle seems to be a coin that fell in when my shifter assembly was replaced... find out if I'm right later.

Having the brakes bled, flushed them last year, just being safe before the Dragon
High Idle being looked at, we believe it's the battery...

He also is going to tweak my DSG settings, he didn't think they were optimized when he drove it...

Which brings me to topic.

He has driven 6-8 R32s with the haldex controller and switch and told me absolutely DO IT!!!!
He says the transformation is worth the $1,000 or so it takes.

He also recommended UM tune combo, he just drove a 2008 R32 with the combo, same billet dogleg I have and a CAI and flapper.... identical to mine....

He said it doesn't even seem like the same car afterwards.... I'm doing it at WitW if Jesse will do it for me...

My Tech made me promise to let him drive it afterwards, DUH, I'll be stuck with his daily beater - Tacome 2009 4X4 for a day...I can live with that!

The only issue with tunes etc would be it it directly caused a failure, so my dealer repairs cars without any problems.
He said some techs will report tunes etc, becsause they are lazy and don't want to work on anything not stock....
He wasa BMW certified tech, but hates them and their Penis like owners :laugh: His quote not mine!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm getting the R32 all in order for the trip up to the Dragon in 57 days....:thumbup::beer::beer:

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
I've got the UM ECU/DSG tunes on my car with the damn haldex combo sitting on my bedroom floor.

Can't wait to get it installed. As far as I'm concerned, a NEED for the dragon.

Jesse will be up there flashing for UM. If he can't do it for whatever reason John, Adam (owner of wolfcars motorsports) is coming up with me and is an authorized dealer as well and will have his laptop with him. I'm sure we'll get you sorted out. Trust me, the ranting and raving regarding the UM tunes is the truth. lol.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
He also is going to tweak my DSG settings, he didn't think they were optimized when he drove it...
What settings exactly can a tech tweak for the DSG? I am extremely curious about this... my current understanding is a VW tech has no access to specific settings, only to upgrade the software to the latest version VW has available for your car/dsg.

Please ask him for details on this as I would love to be wrong.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
i actually cannot believe that there are some folks around here who have been here for months or longer and love the car, but have not done the haldex upgrade. folks, it's basically a FWD car without it.

forget your sport mode... put it in race mode and forget it. if you do this with the tune at the same time you'll wonder what you were thinking by waiting all this time. :cool:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I need me a switch, tired of running in sport mode, even still I can feel a major diff, especially at the track, you can feel the rear end pushing the car through certain corners.

The DSG tune is one of my favs, the extra clamping force provides harder take offs. I'd describe it like putting a sporty clutch in a manual. I can floor stomp from a light and it will chirp my 19's every time.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Another reassuring post about the UM tune and Haldex controller...two mods I definitely always had in the plans and recommend, even without trying first. I can already tell what they will do to help and just looking forward to actually doing it.

My Test/Race driver friend said the same thing about the car when he tried it..."Don't touch the suspension, just get the Haldex controller and DSG tune", were his words.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
FV-QR

Have we confirmed that Jeff himself won't be at WiTW this year? If Jesse can't get to everyone, I also have the needed hardware and software, but I'm not an official / registered dealer so I'd have to work that out with Jeff.

Last year I spent a large portion of one of my nights just doing VCDS tweaks... UM tunes wouldn't be a whole lot different. ;)

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
Have we confirmed that Jeff himself won't be at WiTW this year? If Jesse can't get to everyone, I also have the needed hardware and software, but I'm not an official / registered dealer so I'd have to work that out with Jeff.
Jesse will be up there flashing for UM. If he can't do it for whatever reason John, Adam (owner of wolfcars motorsports) is coming up with me and is an authorized dealer as well and will have his laptop with him. I'm sure we'll get you sorted out. Trust me, the ranting and raving regarding the UM tunes is the truth. lol.

As far as I know though, Jeff is going to be there.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
This is awesome I just bought a haldex, no switch ($600), and I'm getting the um tune as soon as my tuner gets the cables!! I can't wait, I opted to get the haldex controller and UM combo rather than the e85 kit. It's good to hear everyone raves about it.

Patiently waiting................

·
Registered
288 Posts
My Tech made me promise to let him drive it afterwards, DUH, I'll be stuck with his daily beater - Tacome 2009 4X4 for a day...I can live with that!
It's not that bad driving the taco for one day... That's my daily driver/dirt bike hauler also..
But that could be the reason I love nice days to drive the .:R
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Loyal Sage,

To answer the DSG tweak comment I made:

As the tech is installing the MEU, or checking it there are some small variances in OEM settings during setup that are adjusted to be "in range" no big impact, but still allows tech to achieve the correct operation.
This is normal for most all parts of this nature.

He also dissed suspension redo's as an unnecessary waste unless it's a racecar primarily, or something broke.

His opinion was echoed here, about the Haldex and tunes is way more effective than doing suspension.

Now low addicts are not what I'm talking about here, I'm talking about semi-knowledgeable people who are looking for better handling, but miss the mark due to insufficient knowledge and ability to set everything up to actually improve on a damn good factory setup.......

For every gain, there is an offsetting loss, great setup is the balance of this.

He like me has rarely seen a suspension setup correctly after being redone, except by a race shop that knows what they are doing....

He won't work on customer or unknown shop coil over cars, just too much is usually required to correct problems, and surprise the owners don't want to hear it..... he sends them to the local race shop.

State is NC at Deal's Gap - The Dragon - WitW

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thanks for clarifying, as for coilovers not improving things over the stock setup... that is a bit harsh in my opinion.

The first thing I did was to replace the stock setup with KW V1 coilovers for my daily driving needs with a very slight drop over stock, nothing aggressive, just slight, 1 inch drop at most. And once everything settles in nicely I may lift it a little bit before getting new tires/aligned.

I can say with full confidence that they are a significant improvement over stock, the ride quality is better, the car feels more planted and the current setup communicates just the right amount.

Handling has also been improved even with stock haldex.

I certainly hope that once I add a Gen2 Haldex with switch that my handling will be even further improved, but the ride quality, thats something only suspension/springs could have improved over stock.

:thumbup:

EDIT: I should add that tires can also affect ride quality.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's worth noting that $1000 is for the Haldex unit NEW... if you watch the classifieds you can get it much cheaper. I think I managed to pick mine up with a new switch for around $700.

I haven't installed mine yet though because I want to change the fluid and filter at the same time and I'm not sure if I want to do it myself or have it done. :eek:

·
Registered
981 Posts
+1 for Haldex :thumbup:
Is a must for hard driving, especially in the wet.

Is an absolute must for higher power cars, mine R32T was run on stock haldex for 12 months - bad experience, even on the dry. Very jerky, your get wheel spin in the first -> ESP power cut -> haldex ON -> loss of power -> full power

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
is much cheaper to find a used unit. just sayin

there was a forum member here who did have some sort of hookup on new units however
dont want to call them out on the webs so maybe said person can chime in?
Pretty much anything is cheaper used. Some parts your better off buying new and others it just does not matter if they are new or used. I am not sure about the haldex controller itself, but 90% of used switches I have seen in the classifieds are broken.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.