VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, new JSW owner checking in :wave:

I've been looking for a good vehicle to haul my family of four and our two dogs for awhile but nothing seemed to tick all of the boxes. I really wanted AWD but in the end I gave up on that and pulled the trigger on a 2014 VW JSW TDI with DSG. I love it and have a lot of plans for it (I think I have a problem). However, I already have a mk2 project and need to keep this car sensible for daily use so progress will likely be slow & mild. Anyways, here's a potato pic I snapped when I picked it up yesterday...

·
Registered
997 Posts
Very nice choice. And thanks for taking all the 'before' pictures that I didn't. Mines a manual trans and came with the porto's, otherwise it looks the same. Mine has the sunroof too, but it's tough to tell in most pictures.

Congrats!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Nice! You will be very happy with it!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I took it for a drive through the country the other night on my way to the grocery store & broke 50 mpg indicated for the first time :thumbup:

My only complaint so far is that my car came with the tdi monster mat kit but the rear mats don't fit in the car. I'm guessing they gave me Jetta mats & instead of Golf ones. Gonna see if the dealer will replace them or if I new to order a new set myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
My only complaint so far is that my car came with the tdi monster mat kit but the rear mats don't fit in the car. I'm guessing they gave me Jetta mats & instead of Golf ones.
thats wierd. the Jetta monster mats they gave me fit perfectly in the rear. they will probably have no problem giving you the right ones.

·
Registered
43,565 Posts
Thanks everyone! I took it for a drive through the country the other night on my way to the grocery store & broke 50 mpg indicated for the first time :thumbup:
nice job
im sure itll only improve as you get to breaking it in a bit more. that temperature out seems to be the sweet spot, much warmer or more humid and the mpg drops noticeably, same with colder as well.

where is the backup camera physically located on these new models?

·
Registered
997 Posts
ValveCoverGasket said:
...where is the backup camera physically located on these new models?
It's in the open-handle, above the license plate.

...I tried it, sadly it doesn't work when the trunk is open :(

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Awesome to see you posting details on the JSW.
Surprised you've seen 50+ MPG. Ours now at ~51K has still yet to hit 50, averaging 41-42. Maybe in the new model year they tweaked the DSG and fuel maps.
Maybe need to look into getting a tune on ours.

If you are interested, check out Liqui-Moly once you are outside of warranty oil changes. The Castrol that is used (IMO) is junk and is consumed about 1QT/5000 Miles, thereby Fitz recommending us bring it in for 5K oil changes. :thumbdown:

I did Liqui-Moly at 40K. It is due for a fresh change now, but even at 10.5 K I am only about 1/3 quart down from full.
Worth trying/using once you are outside the factory service window.

Glad to see you new ride, I'll have to check it out in person.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the oil tip, I will definitely look into the liqui-moly when the time comes. I think the 2014s are rated 1mpg higher than the earlier 2.0 CR motors but I could be wrong. Still I've only seen that 50mpg number twice and 37mpg seems to be a very consistent average for me. Happy with that for now though. Thanks for checking in, I'll definitely bring it out to your place soon man :beer:

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haven't updated this in awhile since I've just been driving it through the cold winter. But everyone likes pics, right?

It did great in the snow so far...

Also took a nice drive through rural VA...

And took it on a 4.5 hour trip to drop off my mk2's summer wheels for a refurb...

·
Registered
3,823 Posts

Good choice in color!

Personally, I'd leave it OEM if I were you. Modding it doesn't seem to gain much in the way of MPGs, at least not enough to offset the cost of the mods. If you're going for performance, well, that's another thing.

Not hard to hit 50 MPG situationally in the right conditions, but yeah, 38-42 is going to be your norm for average driving in the mid-atlantic region.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks LaTuFu! It's definitely a great color on our cars imo.

Point taken on the modding. I'm not expecting drastic improvements and certainly understand that any aero or mileage-focused modifications I make will cost more than they're worth, but for me it's more about making it unique and different. If I can improve my efficiency for future road trips that's just an added bonus :D

Really, after leasing VWs for over 10 years I'm just eager to finally be able to modify one. They're great cars stock but I want mine to stand out from the crowd a bit. :beer:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.