VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Look forward to seeing the new trim installed, I'm sure it will turn out awesome!
Thanks man! I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Today I stopped by my parents house and met up with my brother to do the first oil change at 4,979 miles. OEM filter & OEM Castrol Edge Professional 5w30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
They're calling for snow again tomorrow but I went ahead and washed, waxed, & vacuumed the car today anyway.

Also pulled my wife's OEM Laguna wheels out of the basement to get an idea of how they would look on the jsw. I really want to put them on but I'm torn between spending $1500 on tires & suspension for this car or putting that into the mk2. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Still waiting to get my trim back from oCarbon but I did install OEM sun shades for the kids today.

Good choice on wheels, I always liked those, and i recently had a chance to buy a complete set that also had snow tires on them. Love the way they look on wagens.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Few quick updates:

Last week I filled up and finally broke the 40mpg mark.

This tank is looking even better; I've broken 50mpg indicated on several trips. Loving this summer blend diesel.

And today I had the emissions recall done and then swapped wheels with my dad for the summer. 18" Durbans with 225/40R18 Pirelli LRR tires.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Not much to report over the last several months. I've just been driving it and enjoying it. Currently the odometer is showing 12,4xx miles with a lifetime FE of 36.6 mpg on Fuelly. The Durbans definitely cost me a couple mpgs but they looked fantastic.

I also picked up an OEM Votex front lip from the dealer while they were on clearance. The box was much bigger than I expected :D

With winter approaching I got a final wash & wax in this week as well as swapping the alloys for my old steelies with a fresh set of General Altimax Artic tires. They are a bit noisy but should be fantastic in the snow. I also switched from PowerService DieselKleen to the winter formula.

That's it for now. I'd like to install the front lip and a Neuspeed Cup Kit this winter but I may put it off another year and focus on my mk2 this winter. I hate to sink too much into this car until the emissions situation is resolved. Until then I'll continue to enjoy the car and daydream of a CR170 turbo. :beer:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Wolfie-
What size tires on those 16" Steelies?

Sent using TapaTapaTalkeeTalk

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Wolfie-
What size tires on those 16" Steelies?

I went with stock size: 205/55r16. Just drove 400 miles to Kentucky on them and I'm pretty satisfied. They're a little noisier than the A/S tires and the car doesn't feel as planted in the dry but it should be worth the trade off when the snow hits.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I received my OEM VW base carrier bars from ECS last week and got them mounted up. They add a bit of noise on the highway but are very easy to install and won't be staying on the car full-time anyway.

Put them to use today to pick up a Christmas tree with the wife & kids.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That first pic with your daughter is awesome. If I'm not mistaken something like "Daddy, what gives? Where are my early Xmas pressies?!?!?" Is running through her mind.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
That first pic with your daughter is awesome. If I'm not mistaken something like "Daddy, what gives? Where are my early Xmas pressies?!?!?" Is running through her mind.

Yup, that sounds about right :D

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
quick update:

Passed 15k miles a few weeks ago and had the oil changed by my brother at the dealership. I also had my stock biolines put back on for now since the beautiful Durbans are back on my parents' Golf.

However, I miss the 18s too much so I just ordered some new tires for my wife's practically unused Lagunas so I can run those this year. Can't wait to get them on :thumbup:

·
Registered
685 Posts
The day I picked up my '14 JSW TDI, I replaced my stock rubber with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 91W 225/45 ZR17, and I am very happy with them. Your 18s should be great too.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks for the input! I waffled back and forth on all the options but the DWS 06 seemed to have great reviews (especially on the audi forums) and tirerack was offering a $70 rebate so I went for it. They've got to be better than the oem bridgestones:D

Cleaned the wheels up yesterday...

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.