VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes my shifts wont go in
by this i mean that i would try to shift but it wont go in then i jiggle it a little bit then it goes right in.
wow if there was no title for this post, i would sound like a perv lol

·
Banned
175 Posts
Re: my transmission does not shift smooth help me!!! (LuEDuB)

It sounds like your clutch is weak. I have or had the same problem with mine. It was the clutch.

·
Registered
12,103 Posts

If you have hi miles...I'd bet the shift linkage needs rebuildin! This is the best thing you can do for a hi mileage VW with linkage type shifter (2.0L MKIII's for example)...slop in the plastic bushings etc really makes shifting clunky...you can buy a complete (and I mean complete...all bushings, shift rods with plastic ends, gear lever pivot and most importantly the adjusting guage so you can set it up right to spec) rebuld kit from "A Parts Place" in MI for about $70...worked great for me! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
175 Posts

Yes really! You can buy a brand new clutch-kit from off of eBay for like: $100.00.................But the cost of labor to install the clutch is expensive. Like around: $300.00 - $350.00

If I were you, I would drive the car as less as possible (only when really need too). You can really mess-up your trans by keep driving it with a weak clutch, or ignoring the problem. You don't want to have to pay for a new clutch, trans & labor. VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

But please, by all means, go get it check-out. Most places won't charge you to test drive the car to diagnose the problem (at-least they don't in my area).

Modified by Se7en9 at 2:16 PM 8-29-2006

·
Banned
984 Posts
Re: my transmission does not shift smooth help me!!! (Se7en9)

Quote, originally posted by Se7en9 »

If I were you, I would drive the car as less as possible (only when really need too). You can really mess-up your trans by keep driving it with a weak clutch, or ignoring the problem. You don't want to have to pay for a new clutch, trans & labor. VERY EXPENSIVE!!!

i second that i ignored my clutch and now i have a new tranny to install also... all the more reason to get a short ratio one for me

1 - 6 of 6 Posts