VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated above, i finally had enough time to take out the stock airbox and put it in today. I got to enjoy it for little while till it started raining...HARD. So the rest of the drive home wasnt spend listening to the now incredibly loud passenger side, but drivin in paranoia trying to avoid every puddle on that side to keep from potentially gettin too much water over there...ill post pics tomorrow morning, cuz its too nasty outside now...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: My Turn 2 CAI is finally in (VR6boi65)

what TURN 2 CAI do you use for the B4 VR6 Passat? I got a 97 but couldn't find anything on their website for the VR6 Passat. Just for VR6 Golf/Jetta

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Does that CAI not have some kind of block to keep water out, or what? I've never seen one installed so I wouldn't know, but if it doesn't, that seems like a setup that wouldn't work very well...

·
Banned
368 Posts
They sell a piece that goes oin the top intake tube to keep the tube from sucking water into the engine. I know AEM makes them and I'm sure you could adapt one to work with your CAI... Look into it..
nevermind.. here ya go..

"AEM’s patented air bypass valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in. Patent # 6,394,128 "

·
Registered
133 Posts
Re: My Turn 2 CAI is finally in (VR6boi65)

what TURN 2 CAI do you use for the B4 VR6 Passat? I got a 97 but couldn't find anything on their website for the VR6 Passat. Just for VR6 Golf/Jetta

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: My Turn 2 CAI is finally in (GeneralTsouVR6)

its a 'VR6' cai meaning any of the obdI or II VR6 motors in the b3/b4, or the mk3 will fit it...even with an automatic, theres a power gain, and it very loud at wot. But the temp gauge hasnt risen over 200F, and it would do that with the stock airbox...im satisfied http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif btw thanks for the info PullinG'z

Modified by VR6boi65 at 12:38 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
7,446 Posts
Re: My Turn 2 CAI is finally in (s216v)

i'm pretty sure you can get either one they are all made for the vr6...i had my EVO cold air intake in my passat for over a year and i have had it in my GTI since i bought it and i've driven in huge thunderstorms and BAD rain and never had a problem. You just have to watch out for puddles that are actually small lakes

·
Registered
966 Posts
I just purchased the kit for the A3 and I noticed the bracket for the MAF holds the sensor at an angle that dosn't match up with the tube. Also the tab on the lower end of the tube doesn't line up with the hole for the charcoal canister bolt.
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect this to fit perfectly on a B3, i'm just trying to go with the least amount of modifications as possible.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: (s216v)

I picked up a used Turn2 A3 VR6 CAI on eBay for a steal, cause the seller didn't know what it was. Anyways, I installed it in my B4 wagon this weekend. It wasn't as simple as just dropping it in. It took some modification. I had to cut the small tab off the side of the tube, as well as a chunk off of the end that fits to the MAF. The chunk I cut off was at an angle, an inch back from the end on top and 1.25 inches on the underside. From there, everything bolted up nicely. As far as the filter, I had to set the filter in place first and then feed the tubing into the filter from above, since that was the only way to get the filter into the tight space once occupied by the charcoal canister. I relocated the charcoal canister to the upper rear of the passenger fender, behind the fender liner. This CAI really is loud, and my butt-dyno is happy. As for performance, the Passat really seems to pull much harder at WOT at RPMs above 4K. If you've watched the news recently, you saw that Detroit had a ton of flooding this past weekend due to torrential rains. I hit quite a few puddles and drove in rain that forced most drivers to pull onto the freeway shoulder, and I had no problems with water intake. I wouldn't suggest that anyone pay full price for the Turn2 for a B4, since you have to hack it all up. There are probably cheaper ways to make your own system by modifying something else. Hope that helps. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts