VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So about a year ago, I decided to liquidate all of my VW bits. After so many, and a lack of time because of work and family I figured it was time to be done tinkering.

This car sat on a local classifieds for about 6 months just taunting me, many a times I simply passed over it when friends suggested I buy it. The car was brought to Utah, tinkered on, and driven casually by the previous owner, but not much was changed.

After reading aeffertz's build thread a dozen times, reviewing every detail and going over it in my head I decided it had to be mine to "finish"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5630936-Alex-s-Rabbit-Project-Take-Two

--

So here it is, almost exactly as it was left....

The Good

• Almost exactly as Alex left it
  • Running and driving

The Bad

• Paint issues (chips, dings, polishing burn, deep scratch on the hatch, etc.)
  • Oil Leak (Valve Cover)
  • Cool bits were sold (moroso, scientific rabbit manifold, etc)
  • Excessive Head Tick (likely lifters, or valve stems)
  • Dash is degrading (repairs falling apart)

Not much else to say, other than I plan on finalizing a few of the unfinished things. Improving things that I'm not a big fan of. And really just driving and enjoying it. The good news is that it's in amazing shape and doesn't "need" anything at all.

Current condition

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
who in the world would ruin the cool bits like the VC and Intake? just why?

a bunch of us know this build already

good luck finishing it!
(its never "finished") LOL

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
who in the world would ruin the cool bits like the VC and Intake? just why?

a bunch of us know this build already

good luck finishing it!
(its never "finished") LOL
And yeah sadly Alex sold those before he sold the car. He was likely trying to get some money back out of it.

And yeah, in theory it will never be "done", should be a fun one as most the crappy work is done.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
So I've been trying to decide what to do about the freeway cruising aspect of this car. Problem being that it's just not fun to drive this thing any distance on a highway/freeway.

Here in Utah the speed limit is 70mph with "normal" drivers casually cruising at 80. This is a great thing for most cars, not so great for keeping up :(

020-GC 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.97 / 3.89

With the 175/50/13s with a total diameter of 19.9 inches, I'm screaming along at 4464 RPM at 70MPH (no tach, but that's what the calculators say)

So I'm debating what to do about it, do I go a size up on the tire to help bring things down? (55 would look bubbly)

Do I try and find a higher final gear?, and keep the 4spd

Do I find a new 5spd FF/FN with a .71

In need to do a little more research, but from what I can find the FF/FN might be the right option for me.

I used the data from - http://www.scirocco.org/gears/

·
Registered
Corrados, rabbits, and bugs oh my!
403 Posts
So I've been trying to decide what to do about the freeway cruising aspect of this car. Problem being that it's just not fun to drive this thing any distance on a highway/freeway.

Here in Utah the speed limit is 70mph with "normal" drivers casually cruising at 80. This is a great thing for most cars, not so great for keeping up :(

020-GC 3.45 1.94 1.29 0.97 / 3.89

With the 175/50/13s with a total diameter of 19.9 inches, I'm screaming along at 4464 RPM at 70MPH (no tach, but that's what the calculators say)

So I'm debating what to do about it, do I go a size up on the tire to help bring things down? (55 would look bubbly)

Do I try and find a higher final gear?, and keep the 4spd

Do I find a new 5spd FF/FN with a .71

In need to do a little more research, but from what I can find the FF/FN might be the right option for me.

I used the data from - http://www.scirocco.org/gears/
Thanks for this. I just solidified a choice to go with my FF trans collecting dust in the back of my shop. I wanted to put the 4sp back in the pickup for nostalgia reasons but didnt know how well it would do on the highway. Now I see that our normal 70mph around Spokane would be irritating to deal with. Because I had my 5sp given to me, what cars did the FF/FN come out of? I pluck random stuff from the yards around me and can keep an eye out for more :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Thanks for this. I just solidified a choice to go with my FF trans collecting dust in the back of my shop. I wanted to put the 4sp back in the pickup for nostalgia reasons but didnt know how well it would do on the highway. Now I see that our normal 70mph around Spokane would be irritating to deal with. Because I had my 5sp given to me, what cars did the FF/FN come out of? I pluck random stuff from the yards around me and can keep an eye out for more
There's some info here. http://www.zelek.com/diagram_charts/diagramlist.htm I have a FN sitting around that's going in my pickup.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Small evening project for me today.

Got some hood lifts...

The paint on the car is pretty soft, soft enough that the small scratches have formed where the stock hood prop goes.

These were a semi cheap option and look good and add functionality, so i figured why not...

Ran into a small issue, the hood release has always been super soft and loose feeling. When I closed the hood after installation it was stuck closed. I opened it with a screwdriver, but I need to adjust the cable or move to an early latch setup.

I am pleased with the outcome, and it was a good little project to keep me busy while the important bits are en route on fedex trucks.

1 - 20 of 764 Posts