VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
641 - 660 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
29,136 Posts
How about an Odyssey battery? They sell brackets too.

Reactions: 01

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #642 ·
How about an Odyssey battery? They sell brackets too.
That’s actually the plan overall. But deciding where to mount it, etc. I’m going to be using the spare tire well, and I don’t love just having it sitting in the hatch.

Ignore that the carpet isn’t flat, etc. not even installed.. just set there temporarily for me to visualize ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
If using an Odyssey, I have a suggestion - but it does require cutting.....

Per the pink circle in the pic below, there is a void next to the passenger side of the spare tire well. I think you could cut a hole in the trunk floor and recess an Odyssey sized battery box into that void. If you made it our of aluminum with a flange at the top, the only paintwork you would need to do would just be the raw edge on the cut made in the floor. Of course If you went all in, you could do a steel box, welded and finished to look like it was stock. Add a factory looking lid and you are all set.

There may also be a void big enough just aft of the spare tire behind the rear valance as well (green arrow).
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Computer hardware

Automotive tail & brake light Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #644 ·
If using an Odyssey, I have a suggestion - but it does require cutting.....

Per the pink circle in the pic below, there is a void next to the passenger side of the spare tire well. I think you could cut a hole in the trunk floor and recess an Odyssey sized battery box into that void. If you made it our of aluminum with a flange at the top, the only paintwork you would need to do would just be the raw edge on the cut made in the floor. Of course If you went all in, you could do a steel box, welded and finished to look like it was stock. Add a factory looking lid and you are all set.

There may also be a void big enough just aft of the spare tire behind the rear valance as well (green arrow).
View attachment 137215

View attachment 137216
Yeah I’d rather mount where it currently is vs cutting into the chassis. Great idea for a solid track build though, not for me.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Make a nice carbon fiber shim. Using a good epoxy and mold release, it may get messy but it would look nice until you cover it up with the mount. It should keep the wear/tear down on the paint and you should be able to tighten it down too keep the shear load down.

·
Registered
1982 Rabbit, 1998 c4 a6 avant, 1984 gti
152 Posts
question for 01
does your username 01 have anything to do with the orange color of your car and the orange color of the general lee car from the dukes of hazard that has the numbers 01 on the side of it?

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
Delrin maybe? Slippery but less give for the strut brace?
I’m just going to proceed with what I’ve done. I’m not really concerned.

Make a nice carbon fiber shim. Using a good epoxy and mold release, it may get messy but it would look nice until you cover it up with the mount. It should keep the wear/tear down on the paint and you should be able to tighten it down too keep the shear load down.
I’m sure I’ll be fine. We can rework if I start to notice any issues.

question for 01
does your username 01 have anything to do with the orange color of your car and the orange color of the general lee car from the dukes of hazard that has the numbers 01 on the side of it?
Honestly no and quite the thing that I’d never thought about. 01 actually started when I was building up a 2001 Jetta way back when…

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #651 ·
Last of the nos gauges showed up, I’m still hunting for a NOS housing without a trip meter hole, but I decided to assemble the tach, fuel and temp gauges. A thing of beauty :)

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
Interior plan is slowly coming together.

This is on the way

And I’ve sourced a set of recaros I’ll be using. They will need some repairs, some bases and some new fabric choices. Just need to make a few decisions on bolster sizes, what belts to run, and what to do for the rear seats :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Man, I just went through this whole thread and thought the car was finished multiple times, but you just kept going! Hahaha. Amazing job so far and can’t wait to see what you do with the interior!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
Man, I just went through this whole thread and thought the car was finished multiple times, but you just kept going! Hahaha. Amazing job so far and can’t wait to see what you do with the interior!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow. Quite the read!

And yeah, not sure it will ever be “finished” to be honest. But we shall see where it takes me!

And the interior should go pretty well. Ordered in a bunch of fabric and leather swatches to make some decisions and things will get moving.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow. Quite the read!

And yeah, not sure it will ever be “finished” to be honest. But we shall see where it takes me!

And the interior should go pretty well. Ordered in a bunch of fabric and leather swatches to make some decisions and things will get moving.
What swatches did you get from Newton? I was really intrigued on their "biscuit" color for my caddy.

641 - 660 of 764 Posts