VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
661 - 680 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #665 ·
That's wild. So they're attaching to a different outer?
It’s actually a new center as well excluding the factory horn pad and base. The center seems to be stainless steel and is very well made. It’s heavy and very solid feeling in comparison to the factory wheel.

I’m super pleased with it, should go well with the rest of the interior changes. I feel bad as I’m basically replacing everything excluding the dash and center console. I’m sure I’ll be able to find a home for this stuff though.

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
It’s actually a new center as well excluding the factory horn pad and base. The center seems to be stainless steel and is very well made. It’s heavy and very solid feeling in comparison to the factory wheel.

I’m super pleased with it, should go well with the rest of the interior changes. I feel bad as I’m basically replacing everything excluding the dash and center console. I’m sure I’ll be able to find a home for this stuff though.
I must have missed it but are these FS some place?

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #670 ·
Started the Recaro tear down before buying a bunch of stuff to fix them up.

One looked slightly tweaked when I was looking at them, so I started with it. And I noticed pretty quickly that things were binding and didn’t feel quite right.

Sadly it’s toast…

Luckily I got these from a friend for free so it’s really not a problem. But changes things as I’m not sure I’ll be able to find another.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #673 ·
Looks repairable from here.
Yeah, from what I've seen on this thread, you could fix it fairly easy.
Oh surely I could have it welded back together. But that pin is one of the primary connection points and is sheared off.

I’m not feeling a repaired unit would be the safest solution. I mean, it’s a rabbit and I understand that. But I’d feel better knowing my diver seat frame isn’t repaired.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #675 ·
Safest? It most likely would be much stronger than when it left the factory.

I totally understand your decision.
I didn’t do the best job with the pics. It’s not just the pin pivot point. The lower mounting location is affected as well. Anyway, final decision made, tossed it last night…

I’ve started the hunt for a replacement or full new pair.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #676 ·
Further research and it looks like these seats share the same lower as any LX series seat. So the hunt has started for a trashed LX seat or a base that I can use.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #677 ·
After some hunting I landed some bases :)

Also spent some time looking for some good hinge covers as the ones I have are cracked and I’m not the greatest of shape.

And once I pulled one I realized very quickly why the look so familiar. Look at that lovely part number. Good ole 191 VW part being used on a Recaro made in 97 (confirmed by the date stamp)

It’s like these seats were meant to be haha. Finding nos units wasn’t so difficult, and are on the way.

I was also lucky enough to source a used lower frame!

Now I just need to figure out what fabric to go with (I’ve got a lot of choices) and then to find an upholstery guy.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Too funny. When I have rare NOS parts, I can’t bear to use them. They went into storage, then I eventually sold them.

Nowadays, I don’t sell anything. When I die, my family and friends will look at these parts, have no clue what they are and they’ll be tossed into the trash…

-Todd

661 - 680 of 764 Posts