VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
681 - 700 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
Too funny. When I have rare NOS parts, I can’t bear to use them. They went into storage, then I eventually sold them.

Nowadays, I don’t sell anything. When I die, my family and friends will look at these parts, have no clue what they are and they’ll be tossed into the trash…

-Todd
Haha. I used to do that… but I use them now. No sense in holding onto something and not use it imo. Same reason my car is a driver, I don’t believe in garage / trailer queens.

This will be going in the car shortly.. won’t be nos for long haha.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My cars are definitely not garage queens… I have no garage.

And you have 3 rear bars!! Hoarding is a problem all its own, lol. Any particular reason you won’t use a used rear, rather than the NOS?

-Todd

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
My cars are definitely not garage queens… I have no garage.

And you have 3 rear bars!! Hoarding is a problem all its own, lol. Any particular reason you won’t use a used rear, rather than the NOS?

-Todd
Hoarding is a problem for sure. But I’ve got three cars these bars would work on, so it works out. In all seriousness, one is going to a friend. And one is going on the corrado.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 · (Edited)
Got the new lower straps for the recaros, also have a bunch of random Recaro bits on the way to fully restore these seats. Few more fabric samples need to arrive before I make any decisions and send them off the upholstery shop.

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Your indoor workshop is awesome!(y)
You are so right. Light colored carpet in your workshop it absolutely amazing. I can't own white towels at home because they soon turn grey.
Haha the wife hates when I fill up my office with car stuff. But it’s going to happen when it’s so damn cold out.

And I’ve been handed several towels as my work area and threatened by the wife to make sure I don’t stain her carpet

It started with the wall art, and expanded to car parts. No joke the closet is full of the stuff, and the floor of my day to day office usually has something haha

She really didn’t love when most the corrado interior was in here either (same will be happening with the rabbit interior here shortly)

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
Had a small incident while rebuilding the 75s.

Luckily big machines exist to remove it without too much risk.

And with that happening I’m not sure I trust these bolts anymore. And I called bbs and got a whole new set on the way, as I don’t want that to happen again.

Once they arrive I’ll finish the rebuild and get the tires mounted :)

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
What were you torquing bolt to when it snapped?
To BBS spec of 155 in/lbs. That’s why i decided to order all new bolts. As I can’t say when they were last replaced. (old wheels and all)

I could feel it letting go at that torque and couldn’t believe it. Odd stuff, but it won’t be an issue anymore.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Those panels look great. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the rear panel, before…

It’s been forever since I owned a ‘79, but yours doesn’t use the plastic, contoured rear side panels?

-Todd

681 - 700 of 764 Posts