VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you see me jumping on parts its for my Sons car, Here is whats going on:

My Son got deployed from Gulf Port MS to Kuwait this past month. He did not want to leave his 92 Golf down there so I towed it back to MI when we went down to see him off.

My plans are to first get the car mechanical safe so he can drive it back down there when he gets back in March 12 Since the mechanical was not that bad what I plan to do is get all the brake system back in good shape then I want to paint the car this summer. Some of it has been touched up and a lot of the paint is faded.

The inside needs a bit of work also. A lot of little do dads are missing but I did find a nice old 1988 GTI that will supply all the missing parts. I was lucky to find a decent headliner which his was missing.

I hope he is surprised when he gets back, at least he will have a good reliable car to drive now!

Towing it home:

Local parts car:

His car:

·
Registered
88 Posts
sounds like something your son would really appreciate. i know i would:thumbup:

there is a headliner supplier available somewhere online, although ive never used them so i dont know the quality of the parts.

as far as looking for things online you cant find in the junker i would suggest consulting the list

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Cool man! Good luck!

I work for the USO (we do stuff for the troops), so if he needs care packages, phone cards, etc, etc... Let me know!

- Juston

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
as a vet, thumbs up to you pops..... :beer:

hate to put a damper in the diaper, might want to ask one of his friends if he is a vortex member if your planning this to be a surprise!!! Being overseas you spend alot of time on the internet in your free time

·
Registered
7,731 Posts
I'm interested in that grille on the parts car if you are looking at making a few dollars back from your investment :thumbup:

Also if there is anything mechanically/aesthetically you have questions about feel free to post them up or PM me. The amount of knowledge on this forum is very vast. You just have to weed thru the idiots first :laugh:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
This is awesome....Wish my dad was this cool and not a yuppie. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: to you my friend. Prob one of the best things ive read in a while here

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
2.0 aba 8v would be a good swap and not to bad as far as cost. and would make it waaaaay more reliable than an 8v*1.8* or a 16v. and if that car is a 90-92 it's almost a plug in as far as the harness.
anyway, it's very cool that you're doing this for your son. and a big THANK YOU! to your son for serving this great nation.:wave:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.