VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after owning my current car, 1998 jetta wolfsburg, for just under a year, Ive decided its time for a bit more power. Im not planning on going crazy with it or anything, but i thought what the heck... I already had most of the parts lying around. Sooo, on to the build.
The plan is to take my stock 2.0l ABA and boost it. I know the best setup would be a t3, but im running what i have, a turbo/mani from a 2004 TDi with roughly 20,000km on it. I will be running c2 software, aswell as c2 injectors. I am running an external Tial 38mm wastgate, with a 4pound spring and a MBC. Planning on picking up a 1.8T DV, but i have a cheapy ebay BOV to atleast get it running (i know i'll run pig rich when i opens.)
So, onto the build.
DAY 1
Managed to get the downpipe, manifold, and cat all apart at work today inbetween working. Seems easy right? Well, as many of you know, the one nut on the bottom inside driver side is quite difficult to get to. It was stripped from the previous owner, and not having access to a cutting torch, it took me roughly 2 hours to get through it with a dremel

The car was then towed home, and is now resting peacefully in my driveway. I am going out to do some more work, im going to re-stud the head, aswell as mount the mani/turbo.
I will have a nice update for you all tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

Modified by Funken_Groovin at 4:16 PM 11-1-2007

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (Funken_Groovin)

they call this "junk yard turbo"

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (vwjoem)

Yes, indeed they do. lol. I managed to get the 2 broken studs out of the head, and did a test fit of the new mani/turbo. I have to take a grinder to the rear motor mount and shave off about 1/8" of material right where the compressor housing hits it. Other then that, I managed to take off the intake mani, valve cover, aswell as the head. I got a nice new copper gasket in there, and a nice new valve cover gasket. Tomorrow morning will entail re-studding the head, and mounting the manifold and turbo, aswell as welding in a bunge for my drain line. I might get a chance to make my downpipe, but that will depend on wether or not i can get myself some 2.5" stainless U-bends.
If all goes as planned (which it probably wont, lol) I should have it running by mid week

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

very cool, i had a junkyard homebrew turbo set-up of my own.
sounds good so far, but i would say that turbo is small for that engine.
if you can, grab the turbo/mani from a 1.6td. its a bigger turbo and will work better with your engine.
just my 2 censt though....either way keep it going

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (skillton_reloaded)

Quote, originally posted by skillton_reloaded »
If you need help or want to upgrade down the road, there might be a new shop opening in your area this spring. I hear the owners know what the're doing

Really? where would this be? please send me an IM, im curious now

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Onto some pictures:

Gotta go to work now, but i should have some more pics up later

·
Registered
752 Posts

Would that be Simply Imports that is just north across the street from Appleby Go Station? Sorry....I'll quit jacking.
How goes the continuation of the turbo neighbour??

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (maxcatK2)

Going outside to work on it as we speak, I got all my aluminum u-bends today, so hopefully i can start some of the charge/intake piping

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So i got the mani mounted for good now (I hope, lol) aswell as put the intake mani back on and whatnot. I started cutting the tubing for my piping, for the time being im going non-intercooled, but that will come later.
Going into work now, hoping to get alot done tonight afterwards

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Alright, so after quite a bit of work tonight, i managed to get my downpipe all mocked up, aswell as my charge pipe and intake pipe (not running an intercooler for the time being) Just have to get those welded tomorrow.
All thats left for me is to install the oil feed/drain, aswell as mount my downpipe and finish the exhaust.
Im starting to get excited

on with more pics:

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif to doing your thing,
edit: for one second i thought this was in the mkIII forum

looks good so far though

Modified by Mk3_Katinga at 9:57 PM 11-3-2007

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (Mk3_Katinga)

So the list for today is pretty small, just have to get the car in the air, and find out exactly where i need to weld the drain flange on my oil pan. Im going to be using a stock mk3 TDI drain line back to the oil pan.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (magics5rip)

I am going to be running a catch can I think, otherwise i will just bring it down into the intake tubing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

run a catch can....it will be much cleaner

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: My very own budget project thread :D (instg8r)

Is a catch can something that can be made, or bought? Where should i look for one?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So by the looks of it, I should have it running by thursday of this week. That is if everything from here out goes smoothly. Id like to drive it a bit before so goes into hibernation for the winter

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

man you can make a ghetto fab if you wanted.......as easy as a tube going into a oil bottle.....

im sure sombody makes one...maybe you can get a creative put together something....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts