VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Re: my vw with 15x10's and 275's (joefis23)

Not sure about the other stuff, but the diverter valve is legal in street prepared. It's considered part of the intake.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

I was looking at the rules and couldn't find anything about the axles. I'd think if they replace the stock units w/ no mods, they should be legal. The only mods that wouldn't be legal for DSP would be the trans gears and the hood. The trans gears would be tough to give up just to get back to DSP considering the cost involved.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: my vw with 15x10's and 275's (ps2375)

from what I understood of the reading of the rules, the axles cannot be changed at all, because there is no listing about changing or modifying. And I need the taller gears at this point because the 275/35's are so short, only 23" tall. I'll just have to keep chugging along in SM. I'm running in New Jersey this weekend against a field of M3's, so we'll see what happens.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

I would think that they fall under the catagory of replacement parts. I'll have to look at the rules again. They offer no performance advantage other than they won't break during the run.
Keep us posted. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

The info you posted says 3.68 diff gears. 02J in 1.8T came with either 3.94 or 3.65 I thought. Assuming you changed to the gears that were available in the 1.8T, update/backdate allows that change in DSP. In theory they want you to run a complete trans of the proper year to get those gears but there are no differences in the trans other than the diff gears so I really dont' see a problem there.
The axles are an area I have heard both ways for legal and not in SP. I could see putting in for a clarification since as others have said there is no performance difference, just not breaking. My guess is the intent is to prevent people from using custom lightweight or lower friction or whatever performance helping non-stock axles. It would be worth checking into.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I won SM yesterday in Jersey @ englishtown by 1.6 seconds, but the rough pavement there chewed up the hoosiers.

·
Registered
12,064 Posts

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif nice. The Hoosiers are soft.We ran a set last year, and they didn't last too long. We had to swicth to the Khumo's during an event cause the Hoosiers corded, and we were just as quick on them. The Hoosiers might be a tad faster, but for how quickly they wear, IMHO, they just aren't worth it if I were paying the tire bill. Too much money for the short life.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts

With the exception of the hood, I believe you are fully legal for DSP. Possibly the axles as well, but I am pretty sure they are legal.
Post up on sccaforums.com in the Street Prepared category, and get some better answers there. They will be able to tell you for sure what you need to change to be legal. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Re: my vw with 15x10's and 275's (flatlackie)

I just registered for the morning autox @ Waterfest. I got to register in class E with the points calculations. Anyone one else racing then?

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

Yup I am racing both sessions. We will have to roshambo for #23

I am either going to be in D or E, depending on if I get my carbon fiber hood sorted out.

·
Registered
394 Posts

We have a NT that weekend but have a sponsor that wants us to go to waterfest instead and yet another that wants us to go to california.
Currently undecided.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

anybody interested in buying this wheel and tire setup?
I'm goinf to move up to 17" and try to fit 315's.
this is a bolt up setup for mkIV's that will make you competitive for DSP or SM

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Re: my vw with 15x10's and 275's (d_jabsd)

I'm going to sell the set for $1000. 2 tires only have 2 events on them, the other 2 have 10 events, but I have been running those on the back.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts

Quote, originally posted by joefis23 »
anybody interested in buying this wheel and tire setup?
I'm goinf to move up to 17" and try to fit 315's.
this is a bolt up setup for mkIV's that will make you competitive for DSP or SM

I was just talking about running 315's in the front and 275's in the rear today...I want to see how you fit it! I was starting to think 17x9 with a 275 front, and a 245 rear. Please keep me posted!
I'd buy your setup, but with our crappy lots I'd be running through hoosiers 2x a season, and there's no V710 in that width

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Re: my vw with 15x10's and 275's (DIAF)

I'm now thinking of 295's, because I can't really find many 17x 11's. I found 5zigen 17x 10's that would work nice with 295/35/17 Hoosiers. My only trouble is deciding what to put on the back, I want to stay at around the same OD, but it looks like it will be a little different with either 275's or 245's. Let me know if anyone tries something similar.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts

Quote, originally posted by joefis23 »
I'm now thinking of 295's, because I can't really find many 17x 11's. I found 5zigen 17x 10's that would work nice with 295/35/17 Hoosiers. My only trouble is deciding what to put on the back, I want to stay at around the same OD, but it looks like it will be a little different with either 275's or 245's. Let me know if anyone tries something similar.

The 275 A6 is only .2 inches taller than the 295 in the 17 inch option...I doubt the difference in overall rolling diameter would be a big deal.
I have to stick with the V710's based on our local lots, and the 295/40/17 V710 is way too tall to work.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Re: my vw with 15x10's and 275's (DIAF)

I'll have to change my ring and pinion again if I go to a big 17" tire. R ight now the 23" tall 275/35/15 works great with the 3.68 gears, but i'll probably use 4.24 gears with the 17" tire.
I just want the tires to be close to each other front to rear OD's, so it doesn't freak out the abs.
I also suspect I'll be cutting the fenders to clear 295 or 315 17"s

·
Registered
31 Posts

315's! You are a maniac Joe. I have to laugh every time I see that car. It's just ridiculously awesome.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts