VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello ALL!! Been on here for awhile but havent done much to warrant starting a build/intro thread. This is my 3rd vw, 2nd VR, and 1st Corrado. Purchased in late '10 i'm the third owner and the car has spent its entire life in FL (yes minus its birth in Osnabrück). 1992 VRT purchased in Melbourne FL. I was in the market for a clean body, and since no records were available for the performance mods, thats what I paid for. Owner signed the title and left it with a friend to sell who knew little to nothing on it. I'll eventually be ripping it all apart, but for now focus is on cosmetics.... Now onto some more interesting stuff....

Car started as satin silver metallic. P.O. painted it this metallic purple pearl and locals have dubbed it "the angry grape". Althought the paint is a bit "loud" for my taste, I must admit when clean I can get lost in the spectrum of colors... But back to the factory satin silver metallic it goes. Wish I could take credit for doing this myself, but I admit i've outsourced much of the shaving work out to Tek-Euro. Chad is something else with the car...
NEW CAMERA IS ON THE WISH LIST PLEASE BEAR WITH ME :)

AS SHE SITS TODAY...

PAINT COMING SOON!!!

So for some of you yeah yeah its another VRT... It won't be a fast build by any means. But I plan on being very meticulous. I do promise you some different, interesting stuff to follow. Here's a few different bits I haven't seen done yet.

Never did like the placement of the early interior power window switches. So I installed a MUCH more comfortable b3/b4 Passat dash mounted one and it replaced one of my dummys. Currently have it wired, and works including 1 touch downs... However only works when driver's side door is open, so will be consulting bentley to properly wire/bypass door open sensor. As far as the original switches? Need new door cards anyway, so either rewrapped without them... Or convert a cherry set of 93+ but with older pockets so switches will be "shaved" That'll be much later....

Also have a BUNCH of defroster switches... Wanna run those as factory toggle switches for various future go-fast goodies :D

MK4 12v Power outlet swap...
Only the dash plastic is retained, everything else goes, yes including the lighted ring. Takes a small amout of dremel work to smooth out the rear of the Corrado's original cigg lighter panel, but the MK4 just threads and sandwiches itself to the panel. Looks MUCH cleaner IMHO, factory parts, and best of all HARNESSES ARE PLUG N PLAY!!!
Chad had a good idea and we may end running these in the trunk aswell. :thumbup:
Sorry for the crappy pic... But was rushed as the sky opened up HARD and was caught in the rain...
If you're interested in a MK4 outlet PM me and i'll get you a MINTY one from the JY for a small build donation :). Its a 30-40min drive for me.

And finally something i'm very proud of... My 1979 custom 13" Scirocco MK1 Wolfsburg steering wheel.
removed the spline adapter and everything else fit perfectly. Horn is operable. Found it locally but leather was trashed. Plus originally they are 15"++. Contrary to popular belief THESE ARE NOT ALUMINUM. They are steel. May be a nickel plating or something but love the finish nonetheless. But was too big imo. So i cut it off where I wanted, bought a cheapo steel 13" steering wheel from autozone $20-$30, chopped IT up, then beaded the wolfy wheel to the 13" ring and heres the result. Leather is pending but you get the idea...

So its gonna be a slow one, but I hope you enjoy!!!!
MORE WERK TO COME!!!!

-ALEX

·
Registered
10,076 Posts
The window switch mod is cool.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Welcome :wave:

Is that Chad, "Sr.Karmann" here? If so, then you're in good hands :thumbup:

Personally I don't like the window switch mod/relocation (unless it involves late-spec doorcards in the future with shaved switches on the door pockets) and I think where you mounted them it isn't more "comfortable" that their original location...

Nice steering wheel and nice job on it (I'v got one on my MK1 ;)) but not period correct for the Corrado IMHO ;)

Looking forward for more updates :popcorn: :thumbup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome :wave:

Is that Chad, "Sr.Karmann" here? If so, then you're in good hands :thumbup:

Personally I don't like the window switch mod/relocation (unless it involves late-spec doorcards in the future with shaved switches on the door pockets) and I think where you mounted them it isn't more "comfortable" that their original location...

Nice steering wheel and nice job on it (I'v got one on my MK1 ;)) but not period correct for the Corrado IMHO ;)

Looking forward for more updates :popcorn: :thumbup:
Thanks for the welcome!
Yes Chad and Sr. Karmann are indeed one and the same. Alot more pictures of his work will be available soon(majority were taken with his camera).
You're right on the wheel, not period correct but I REALLY do love that wheel and rescued it from the scrap heap. Particularly like the way it meets the clamshell(when it's on haha) and if it's factory, I'll overlook the generation gap on my end. My take on a factory "race wheel"
The window switches on the dash were just slightly easier imo than the flush mounted ones on the door cards. But yes as I mentioned 93+ cards would be needed to "shave" the cards. May eventually go back if not satisfied with the end results :)

But again thanks for the welcome and look fwd to having you in the thread!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Nice ride man. How hard was it to pull the spline for the wheel? I want to put a raddo wheel on my mk1 but need the spline. A guy i know has a parts car which I could pull the spline off of.
Thanks man! Spline was REALLY easy to take out... IF you have a gear puller... Got mine for about $25 or so at the local auto parts store. They offer a much flimsier one under $10 but it will not do the job.. Great tool to have in your toolbox, also handy for plenty of stuff under the hood. If you decide to take your chances with a hammer or other tools, be very careful with the "teeth" on the spline as theyre pretty delicate. Heres a stolen pic of a random gear puller I googled.

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Chads gonna mess this all up.....Hes a g60 hoooooooooooooooooooomo
Lol Adam you're gonna start a 4 vs 6 debate war :facepalm:
:heart: my VR6 but DAMN do I admire his 16v. It even smells perfect :thumbup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks man! Spline was REALLY easy to take out... IF you have a gear puller... Got mine for about $25 or so at the local auto parts store. They offer a much flimsier one under $10 but it will not do the job.. Great tool to have in your toolbox, also handy for plenty of stuff under the hood. If you decide to take your chances with a hammer or other tools, be very careful with the "teeth" on the spline as theyre pretty delicate. Heres a stolen pic of a random gear puller I googled.

Hope that helps! :thumbup:
Thanks a lot! I've got a puller already so it should be a piece of cake!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like the color.so let me get this straight, the passenger has to reach over to your side of the car to roll there window down?
The passenger side was left alone and the switch on the passenger side is still operable.
I merely changed the driver's side. The flush switches just bother me for some reason and just personally I prefer the passat one to have the switch in front of me. Probably be easier to just convert to 93+ switches and door cards, but I do love those aktiv speaker grills. Just what makes me happy I suppose :laugh:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Come to think about it you're somehow right about the stock early-spec window switches location - lots of people reported to have issues with them and accidentally hitting the switches with the legs/knees...

Chads gonna mess this all up.....Hes a g60 hoooooooooooooooooooomo
:laugh: He USED TO BE a G60 ****

Lol Adam you're gonna start a 4 vs 6 debate war :facepalm:
:heart: my VR6 but DAMN do I admire his 16v. It even smells perfect :thumbup:
Lol, its probably Corona smell :p

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
:laugh: He USED TO BE a G60 ****

Lol, its probably Corona smell :p
16vT, no **** :p

Day after Corona smell :laugh:

Alex has forgot to mention what has been done with bodywork. We rolled the fenders, completely and shaved the washer jets, rear seams, fixed rust hole on rear hatch and shaved the third brake light as well as some random dents which were pulled :thumbup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats! and going back to Satin Silver is :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks man! Never seen a ss metallic in person. Don't think they were rare but curious thing is it had gray leathers, never seen that combo either usually silver on black. Either way interior is trashed unfortunately :banghead: that'll be another day... Wanna see that panhead one day got a Vulcan 1500 but Harley next :thumbup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alex has forgot to mention what has been done with bodywork. We rolled the fenders, completely and shaved the washer jets, rear seams, fixed rust hole on rear hatch and shaved the third brake light as well as some random dents which were pulled :thumbup:
I wanted to, but felt I needed to post pics to go with. Havent had time to swing by with the thumb drive, so took some crappy ones myself haha...
Oh and when Chad means "we" he means I helped roll the fenders and brought :beer:
I DO WERK but gotta give credit when credit is due :D....

Shaved nozzles...

Shaved antenna...

Shaved rear seam...

Shaved rear wiper...
LOTS o cancer was removed from here
P.O. botched the delete

More coming soon :thumbup:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting little bit I learned this week. MK4 Jetta/Golf & New Beetle visor clips are a DIRECT swap to our Corrados. Same 2 screw hardware spacing and all. I have personally mounted them and work perfectly. Just thought you guys may want to know to give you more options if you need to replace yours :thumbup: What I personally like Is they come with a metal tab that securely holds the visor in place, and they have a snap on cover that hides the hardware. OEM SHAVED VISOR CLIPS!!! lol
If you want a black set... GLI's and .:R iirc....

Disassembled...

And once you've secured it in with the hardware, snap the cover on and here's what you get.
ENJOY!!!

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.