VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought an '88 Cabby (auto) a month or so back to use as her daily driver. The thing has absolutely no power, so I want to do a general tune-up on it; plugs, wires, timing, filters, oil, etc., in hopes of regaining a little pep. Any tips and/or tricks I can do to squeeze a bit more power out of it while I'm in there?

Also, what holds the bearing in at the bottom of the steering column? I noticed some play in the steering wheel and when I looked under the dash to check it out, I saw that the bearing had slid down to the joint on the steering shaft. I was able to slide the bearing back into the column, but it doesn't stay.
Thanks.

· Registered
2,696 Posts
Re: My wife's '88 Cabby has issues (Chitty_Chitty_Bang_Bang)

Just make sure that it's setup correctly *(follow the procedures in the Bently for setting the timing etc) and you should be all set.

These weren't powerfull cars to begin with, but there is no reason you can't get it back to normal...

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts

Terry,
Start with a complete tune up, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, (use BOSCH ignition parts, W7DC or W7DTC plugs!!) air and fuel filters, replace your injector seals and idle screw o-ring, tighten the injector holders, replace the injector holders if needed. Replace all the old and frayed cloth covered vacuum hoses, silicone hose suggested. Check your Jetronic grounds. Test your oxygen sensor. Check your throttle switches and idle boost valves, check your CIS system and control pressures, check your distributor's centrifugal and vacuum advance mechanisms, set your timing. Set your mixture while monitoring the duty cycle of the frequency valve, adjust the base idle.
Once you've made sure all the basic stuff is working as designed, should you still find improper idle conditions, report back with your findings and we'll discuss it to a conclusion, more likely several conclusions.
Buy a Bentley.
Ron

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts

Terry,
Stuff the steering column bearing back up there, secure it with a slim hose clamp. Watch for interference between the hose clamp and the brake/clutch pedal shaft retainer clip, position your hose clamp accordingly, tie wrap the pedal retainer so it can't rotate.
Ron

· Registered
1,828 Posts

How bad it is? Absolutly no power does really sound bad. Try to be a little more specific...to start with, a complete tune up will give you the path (sparks,wires,dist cap and rotor, fuel and air filters) then if th eproblem persist it could be a number of things but go step by step. There;s a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Ah! for the steering column bearing...just use a nylon tie strip? to keep it in place....
Juan

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replys. I'll zip tie the bearing when she gets home tonight. As for the other issue(s) regarding no power, I'll get more info from the wife when she gets home. But from what she's said so far is that it takes forever to get up to speed; she can't pass because there's no power; and the max speed she can hit before it feels like the engine is going to explode is around 65.
I've only driven the car a few times to and from the store and there definately seems to be some lag when the hit the throttle.

· Registered
'81 Trek 614, '95 Ranger
12,379 Posts
Re: (Chitty_Chitty_Bang_Bang)

Terry,
A zip tie won't hold the bearing, you need a hose clamp. Use a zip on the pedal shaft retainer clip to keep it from rotating into the path of the hose clamp.
Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.