VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5L, Wolfsburg Edition & 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet 1.8L
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few days ago, my wipers started turning on at random, full speed wiping. It seems to correlate with hitting bumps/potholes. Always happens when stalk is in the off position, and I do not have rain sensing wipers on my 2007 Jetta Wolfsburg. I am unable to turn off the wipers via the stalk when they turn on randomly, and I have to turn the car off. Sometimes, the wipers will still wipe with the ignition turned off, key on the dash, hood up (!) until I pull the fuse. Fuse is good, and I have used another good fuse to double check.

Today I replaced my wiper motor and linkage with an OEM assembly from the junkyard. All seemed well upon start up, clocked correctly, wipers worked as they should in all positions and speeds. Drove for about 15 miles, hit a bump, wipers starting swiping uncontrollably. I do not have a VCDS tool to scan for codes that may have popped up. Do I need VCDS to troubleshoot this any farther?

Any tips and help is appreciated!! My daughter is 2 days past her due date and this is pretty crappy timing. :confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
this issue tends to be a faulty wiper stalk.
Have you seen any threads on this? I’ve come up blank…seems to be the next place to check.

Looks like you have real world experience with this. Would I need to recode after swapping in a new stalk? This is the basic stalk with no info/trip button or anything.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Well I am going to assume you pulled the fuse for J400 and not some other fuse that control J519 etc. The stalk sends position info through some modules before ending up at J519, one of its function is control over the wiper system. A scan might be helpful or looking at the switch function while in use to see if it is responding correctly. Have you done any work around the steering wheel area lately?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Product Rectangle Font Schematic Circuit component

This is the location of the fuse I pull to stop the wipers when they act up. I have the fuse removed for the time being..I have done no work around the steering wheel area.

The previous owner did mention this issue. She had the fuse out when I purchased it, and I replaced the fuse when I got home. I have owned since mid September and have put around 3,500 miles on it, have used the wipers multipole times throughout different settings, and did not experience any wiper issues at all until 3 or 4 days ago. I'm thinking I have a short or chewed up wiring. There was some evidence of a "nest" in my rain tray. Gonna take another look at the wiring harness there. I'll also take a look at the main ground strap/connection and clean it up.

GTI's, is there a relay for the wipers? I cannot find a definitive answer for this.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have you seen any threads on this? I’ve come up blank…seems to be the next place to check.

Looks like you have real world experience with this. Would I need to recode after swapping in a new stalk? This is the basic stalk with no info/trip button or anything.
If swapping same part for same part you don't need coding.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Messed with it some more yesterday. No evidence of chewed wires from the "nest". Tested for power and continuity. Unhooked the battery for about an hour while I meticulously checked and cleaned all fuses and relays in the interior and exterior fuse panels. Took a wire brush to a few ground locations. Gave the wiper motor and surrounding area several slaps to try and replicate the "hit a bump/pothole" condition, and tugged on the wiring harness every which way. Also slapped and tapped all around the wiper stalk. Not sure if problem is gone, but I have been unable to replicate it. If the issue comes back, I'll swap out the wiper stalk/switch.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Hopefully it does not come back but if it does hopefully you will have a scan tool:) so you can check for any dtc and functions.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just ordered a VCDS cable from Ross-Tech. I'm coming from the mk1 & mk2 world- this is my first VW with an OBD port :LOL:

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I wish it was easy like the early MKs but that is not the case.....

With Vcds you can take a look at the MK5 steering wheel Module16->measuring blocks 08->group 001-> field 4 front wiper display range: operated/level/Stage Int./Stage 1/Stage 2

Module 16(J527)->mb 08->group 002->field 1 interval stages, display range: Stage 1/Stage 2/Stage 3/Stage 4

Module 09(J519 Cecm)->Mb 08->024->1 steering column, switch information, via LIN-Databus

0.0 everything off
1.0 quick wipe
2.0 intermittent
3.0 low
4.0 high
5.0 washer front

1 - 13 of 13 Posts