VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any word on when we will be getting the 2018s? I just realized that VW is still selling them as 2017s :what:

Lease is up in October and I'd rather get an 18 with the better warranty. Esp. since it doesn't look like I'll get as good a deal as I did on the 2015 model.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same, got mine at the end of February and it's a 2018.

2017 had a better rust warranty though. VW updated the 2018 rust warranty across all models to 7 years/unlimited km, from 12 years/200000km. I would have preferred the 12 years... although I'll probably be getting a newer EV by the time the rust warranty is up (2025 for me).

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got mine a month ago and it's a 2018
Same, got mine at the end of February and it's a 2018.

2017 had a better rust warranty though. VW updated the 2018 rust warranty across all models to 7 years/unlimited km, from 12 years/200000km. I would have preferred the 12 years... although I'll probably be getting a newer EV by the time the rust warranty is up (2025 for me).
to clarify I'm in the US. we still are being peddled the 2017 models....

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interestingly, I called the dealer today. My lease is up in a month, so while trying to figure out my next move, I figured I'd give them a call to see about availability. After waiting on hold while the salesman "checked", he returned to tell me the was no word about 2018my Egolf's at this point, and they were discontinued.

Unsatisfied with their answer, I called a competing dealer only to hear the same thing. Now I'm wondering if I should buy out my lease, or take a second look at the I3. Yuck.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
When I saw the thread title, I read it as "My 2018" as in the OP got one. I was curious to see how. Now I see that it's the same issue I'm having. No new e-Golfs available. In fact, it seems the only new e-Golfs for sale in the US (MY 2016 and 2017) are in California. Are the Canadians getting the updated 2018 one with the bigger battery and stronger motor? My lease is up in October and if the prospects of getting a true, updated MY 2018 don't improve, it's becoming more likely I'll buy mine out.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I saw the thread title, I read it as "My 2018" as in the OP got one. I was curious to see how. Now I see that it's the same issue I'm having. No new e-Golfs available. In fact, it seems the only new e-Golfs for sale in the US (MY 2016 and 2017) are in California. Are the Canadians getting the updated 2018 one with the bigger battery and stronger motor? My lease is up in October and if the prospects of getting a true, updated MY 2018 don't improve, it's becoming more likely I'll buy mine out.
the 17's have the updated battery and motor, at least according the VW US website. 134hp/214tq and 125 mile range vs 115hp/199tq and 83 miles.

My gripe is that by selling them in 2018 as a "2017" model we are getting the old 3yr/36k mile warranty instead of the updated 6yr/72k mile one that the rest of the fleet gets.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My gripe is that by selling them in 2018 as a "2017" model we are getting the old 3yr/36k mile warranty instead of the updated 6yr/72k mile one that the rest of the fleet gets.
They are selling them as 2017's because they are 2017's. Leftover stock remains the year it was manufactured for regardless of when it sells.

You can now get a SEL Premium (in the States) for $32k, because they are the previous model year.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
the 17's have the updated battery and motor, at least according the VW US website. 134hp/214tq and 125 mile range vs 115hp/199tq and 83 miles.

Ok. I thought we weren't getting that until 2018. I guess it's the 2018's that have the digital dash and other MkVII.5 updates then?

I would find it amusing (or sad) that I could turn in a 2016 model year car after a three year lease and get a brand new one that was only one model year newer.

Sill, I don't think anywhere in the US outside of Cali is getting any new allotment of e-Golfs period.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm trying to deal on one of the few remaining 2017s in the country, but not getting anywhere. It was a lowball offer, so, I wasn't really expecting them to jump at it.

The dealer insists that they won't be getting 2018s/2019s. What's going on here with VW? I'm guessing the 2018 is so popular in Germany that they just don't care enough about the ZEV credits in the US? Are they just buying offsets from Nissan/Tesla/Chevy? Since they're making a big electric push with the I.D. stuff, I guess they just figure they'll sit out the US market since electric demand is going gangbusters in Europe?

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying to deal on one of the few remaining 2017s in the country, but not getting anywhere. It was a lowball offer, so, I wasn't really expecting them to jump at it.

The dealer insists that they won't be getting 2018s/2019s. What's going on here with VW? I'm guessing the 2018 is so popular in Germany that they just don't care enough about the ZEV credits in the US? Are they just buying offsets from Nissan/Tesla/Chevy? Since they're making a big electric push with the I.D. stuff, I guess they just figure they'll sit out the US market since electric demand is going gangbusters in Europe?
that's really bizarre. I thought they were going to plunge in the electric market post diesel fiasco. The A3 E-Tron is looking tempting, just wish it had a slightly higher range, then it would be perfect for my daily commute + having extended range for road trips.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Each of the 4 dealers I spoke with told me between 2019-2020, VW so be releasing 3 new electric models. These are being built on a new platform that week be EV specific. My guess is that VW is likely retooling for the newer models. They were likely feeling of the market demand with the initial offering. It's disappointing we didn't get the 200 mi 2018 model we thought we were for sure, but at least there are some 2017's still around.

I just bought a new '17 SE last week after King VW in MD refused to honor VW'S 0% financing (because they couldn't work for free, I was told). It's a shame, it was an SEL, which is what my wife and I wanted, but shady dealers like to play shady games. I ended up buying the SE from Speedcraft VW in RI. They are great to work with, didn't plan games, and had several colors to choose from.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just bought a new '17 SE last week after King VW in MD refused to honor VW'S 0% financing (because they couldn't work for free, I was told). It's a shame, it was an SEL, which is what my wife and I wanted, but shady dealers like to play shady games. I ended up buying the SE from Speedcraft VW in RI. They are great to work with, didn't plan games, and had several colors to choose from.
I tried working with King once or twice, it was always odd and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Based on your experience, I won't be trying again. Did you give Pohanka in Capitol Heights a try? I did a test drive there, but never tried negotiating with them. They have two SELs on their lot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I tried working with King once or twice, it was always odd and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Based on your experience, I won't be trying again. Did you give Pohanka in Capitol Heights a try? I did a test drive there, but never tried negotiating with them. They have two SELs on their lot.
I didn't try them. The only reason I even went to King in the first place was because they showed an SEL on cars.com. When I went to sign the paperwork, they raised the price of the car $150, added some BS charges, and refused to give me VW'S promotional interest rate "because they can't work for free". It ended up being over $1000 extra in the charges.

The dealer I bought the SE from said "that's an interesting way to do business" when I told him the story.

Though there are features I miss from buying the SEL, I love the '17. Drove it 115 miles home from the dealer on a single charge, with 15 miles to spare. The reverse lights are a lot better to; the '15's were basically useless!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't try them. The only reason I even went to King in the first place was because they showed an SEL on cars.com. When I went to sign the paperwork, they raised the price of the car $150, added some BS charges, and refused to give me VW'S promotional interest rate "because they can't work for free". It ended up being over $1000 extra in the charges.

The dealer I bought the SE from said "that's an interesting way to do business" when I told him the story.

Though there are features I miss from buying the SEL, I love the '17. Drove it 115 miles home from the dealer on a single charge, with 15 miles to spare. The reverse lights are a lot better to; the '15's were basically useless!
May I ask which dealer you ended up buying from?

Speedcraft and Pohanka are advertising prices online with the $7500 federal rebate which is deceptive. They change their numbers when you call them.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My I ask which dealer you ended up buying from?

Speedcraft and Pohanka are posting deceptive prices online. They change their pricing when you call them and ask for the actual price.

·
Registered
258 Posts
My I ask which dealer you ended up buying from?

Speedcraft and Pohanka are posting deceptive prices online. They change their pricing when you call them and ask for the actual price.
I ended up buying it from Speedcraft VW in RI. I'm surprised they are quoting you a different price on the phone- they were straight up with me. The sales manager (Peter, I think) didn't pull any punches, and they didn't push extra crap into the sale. I'm actually considering buying a Tiguan from them too.

·
Registered
18 Posts

If this is true, it's bad news, at least for the short term:

http://europe.autonews.com/article/...porsche-stop-plug-in-hybrid-sales-on-new-wltp

Yes, this focusses on PHEVs, but it may affect pure EVs also in some way...

·
Registered
116 Posts
MY 2018 E-golf

Just got word from the dealer reps here in Washington that they will be able to sell the 2018 E-golf each dealer will be getting one e-golf to start

1 - 20 of 26 Posts