VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it begins. Bought a 2012 A3 TDI in March of 2012 and have been in love with the 8P since. Wanted to customize, but alas with a TDI there isn't that much to do. Really got the itch and decided to get a quattro as a toy to play with and build up. Made up my mind to grab a slightly older model with a lower price and start the build - three weeks later I found the perfect match and picked her up.

Last Monday I got a steal on a 2010 A3 Quattro S-Line w/ Titanium, Convenience, Cold Weather, and Panoramic. Thus, the story really begins. The plan will be a full Stage III build, to create an incredible 8P that can beat most any vehicle on the road.

Here is the two of them this Saturday. The TDI; DeDipped within a few hours of this picture, prepping to sell, in a few weeks - which will be a very sad day.

Mods Tracker

• APR Stage II+ ECU Tune
  • APR DSG Tune
  • Brakes - Stoptech pads & slotted rotors, SS lines, racing fluid
  • Suspension - H&R front and rear sway bars, Bilstein PSS10 coilovers
  • Exhaust - Miltek w/ ATP downpipe
  • APR CAI
  • 034 Dogbone insert and density line mounts
  • GFB DV Valve
  • P3Cars Gauge

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would keep them both, best of both worlds :p

:thumbup:

:peace:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a pretty bold statement. Maybe there isnt a lot of modified cars around you :confused:
There isn't a lot of modified cars (I know a couple) - lots of Mercedes, Lexus', Porsches, Ferraris, and Maseratis though.

Based off APR's website on the GTX III - "same league" at least, maybe not "beat"

APR is pleased to introduce the 2.0T FSI Stage III GTX Turbocharger System. Producing over 405 horsepower on 93 (R+M)/2 octane and 449 HP in racing configurations, Stage III GTX places the 2.0T FSI's accelerative performance in the same league as that of large V8 supercharged muscle cars and sub $400,000 exotic sports cars.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There isn't a lot of modified cars (I know a couple) - lots of Mercedes, Lexus', Porsches, Ferraris, and Maseratis though.

Based off APR's website on the GTX III - "same league" at least, maybe not "beat"
same leage stats wise.. however, thats just on acceleration. I'm all about upgrades that net more power.... but just remember not to get dissapointed when a turbo civic blows your doors off on the interstate. Yes, it will be fast, and terribly fun, but it wont be the street monster I am asuming you think it will.

Why stage 3? From the website it only offers the package for a FWD, not the quattro. ALso, the kit is $6500 and then you're going to have to spend about another $6000 in required parts and instalation labor and fabriaction...

To me, $13,000 for 449 HP max isnt worth it at all... but it is your money and your car, not mine, it's merely my opinon:)

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
I can't recommend the APR stage 3 kit, especially after sending my vehicle to them as well as the other issues that Halvie has had with his TSI Stage 3 kit. Personally, I would wait for IE's 450 kit to come out with a proper twin scroll manifold + BW EFR turbo. A much better offering than APR's antiquated T25 manifold + Garrett turbo.

Dave

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
At least he didn't buy RSC ;)
C'mon, these are the exact same products you were championing 6 months ago. The hardware is the same, and so is the crappy customer service. The only difference is Arin (and a few others....) aren't jumping into threads and blasting anyone who speaks out about APR.

·
Registered
9,319 Posts
C'mon, these are the exact same products you were championing 6 months ago. The hardware is the same, and so is the crappy customer service. The only difference is Arin (and a few others....) aren't jumping into threads and blasting anyone who speaks out about APR.
I was championing RSC 6 months ago?

I like the Carbonio stage 1. Rear pipe for stage 2 is a waste.

Stage 2 tune is pretty much the same as everyone else's. It's just unfortunate if you decide to go K04 or higher. At this point with several companies offering flash-at-home options and better customer service, I'd choose one of those for warranty purposes and ease of switching files.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I was championing RSC 6 months ago?

Stage 2 tune is pretty much the same as everyone else's. It's just unfortunate if you decide to go K04 or higher. At this point with several companies offering flash-at-home options and better customer service, I'd choose one of those for warranty purposes and ease of switching files.
Fair enough. I'm pretty much in agreement, and I'm definitely glad I went stage 3 back when APR didn't have an out of the box solution for the TSI quattro combo. Ended up with an APR downpipe, no RSC (dodged that bullet) and a milltek catback. I'm still planning on eventually upgrading to a GTX setup, although it will probably be a while now that life's starting to get in the way. When that happens, not sure what tuning company to go with, although I'm heavily leaning toward Eurodyne (for now, anyway). As for the exhaust... I'll probably get a custom setup so I can switch to v-band and ditch the bolt-up with gasket setup.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Perhaps when I go K04 or higher I'll look into the other options. I liked APR for this Stage - and I don't have to worry about their customer service because I deal with my shop, not APR. I trust the shop I'm working with and what they had to say about the different products out there.

And isn't it kind of irrelevant to say rear pipe for stage ii is a waste no? Rear pipe isn't a waste in any way for someone who wants exhaust on their vehicle. Sure, you can probably attach the stage ii tune to the point you're making and then start to say you don't get any *real* added benefit to the tune specifically with the rear pipe, but then you're just marginalizing one product by arguing it being combined with another product. I got full turbo back exhaust because I wanted full turbo back exhaust. I went with Stage II tune because I could skip stage I and jump straight to II with the hardware I had.

:peace:

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
3ZERO3 Motorsports did the work - and I'm all set with them (every two years?) to swap the test pipe for the stock one and I'm assuming they have the file on hand.
the issue is to not have a test pipe file in stock position. ok for the other programs just not the stock position. They don't have the file on hand but will need to reflash if its already programmed. We all wish our favorite motorsports companies stay on forever but often times companies go under. It's better to be proactive and get the right file upfront.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.