VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This is my first PLEASE HELP post on VWvortex. I bought the car from this forum (with an account I stupidly closed a few years ago). 5 worry free years have past but, alas, all good things must come to an end. I've sprung a leak that's dripping down the back of the engine. Seems to be contained to the drivers side. Somewhere from up high in the engine, and only when its running. To give perspective, if the car idles for ~20mins, about an hour later a drop of oil will find its way to the garage floor. In terms of oil consumption, I noticed I was about a quart low in the last oil change.

Here is the timeline:
-Notice rough idle. Steady for about 20sec, stumbles and recovers. At first it only happened from a cold start. I assumed it was a dirty MAF sensor or cruddy throttle body so I ignored it for longer than I should have. It got worse and I realized that there was an issue somewhere else.
-No codes thrown. But this is just my OBDII scanner, I dont have access to VAGCOM.
-Decide its the PCV valve. It wheezes every time the engine stumbles. Replace the PCV valve. Old PCV valve gunked up (it lived a 160k mile life).
-Idle is all good now --> relief
-Notice oil leak around top end of engine and dripping to the ground --> concern
-think that the clogged PCV blew out a gasket somewhere else
- replace valve cover gasket and cracked the valve cover on the way out. Bought and installed a new cover. The gasket was definitely leaking. VC gasket was brittle and cracked apart in my hands.
-leak persists at same rate as before???
-See oil pooling underneath the exhaust manifold (see pics)
-inspect rear main seal. Completely dry.
-clean up all oil on the back of the engine.
-let idle for ~20mins and check the areas I cleaned (shown in pics), the oil is back.
-Perform head gasket leak test. Indicator fluid remained dark blue. No other head gasket leak symptoms have presented themselves. Clear exhaust, antifreeze looks clean, oil looks free of contaminants, steady idle, no performance issues. Also the drips seem to be pooling higher the the head gasket, but I could be mistaken.
-inspected around the valve cover to make sure I didn't improperly torque. No leaks, everything looks good.
-inspect vacuum pump housing for leaks (o rings replaced last summer) still dry as a bone.
-cam follower was also replaced less than 5k ago, and there is no leaking around the HPFP.

I'm running out of ideas. I cant see any split hoses or source of a gasket seepage. But the block on the drivers side from the exhaust manifold down is wet after running the engine. I've confirmed its NOT residual from the VC gasket leak. Its definitely still coming from somewhere.

I've done a decent amount of searching through the forums and have come up empty handed at this point.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

2008 VW GTI 2.0T FSI w/ 160K miles, completely stock.

(both pics are from underneath the car looking up between the back of the engine and the firewall. Looking at the top of the block and bottom of the exhaust manifold)

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Welcome to the forums and nice write up for your first post. Did you happen to look around the guide frame/cam girdle/cam frame for your leak/s located just below the valve cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I understand correctly, you are referring to the cam adjuster cover (see pic)? If so, I did some inspecting around that area. A lot of the hoses that run underneath it seem to have oil on them. I assumed it was old oil from when my vacuum pump failed. Perhaps its new oil. I did a little research and it seems as though that gasket is prone to leaking.

Thank you for the help

Anthony

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I was referring to #13 that is on top of the head and below the valve cover, but seeing that you are seeing oil by the chain housing I would clean both areas thoroughly and see if you can then isolate the leak/s location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yikes. I understand what you mean now. I will look again and do some more cleaning tomorrow to see if I can find anything where that frame meets the block. I won't rule that out as a possibility yet.

Youtube and my Haynes manual dont have a definitive answer, can I remove #13 without screwing with the timing pulley and adjuster assembly (#2, 3, 15-20)? Like can I get that off without needing to buy that black block tool to lock the cams in place? Very helpful diagram BTW.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Did you isolate the leak/s yet? As for the cradle you are supposed to release the tension on the cam belt before removal. If the chain housing it removed play attention to the three rings that they are not broken or damaged during installing the housing back and dont forget to check clean the small filter in the housing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello All,

This is my first PLEASE HELP post on VWvortex. I bought the car from this forum (with an account I stupidly closed a few years ago). 5 worry free years have past but, alas, all good things must come to an end. I've sprung a leak that's dripping down the back of the engine. Seems to be contained to the drivers side. Somewhere from up high in the engine, and only when its running. To give perspective, if the car idles for ~20mins, about an hour later a drop of oil will find its way to the garage floor. In terms of oil consumption, I noticed I was about a quart low in the last oil change.

Here is the timeline:
-Notice rough idle. Steady for about 20sec, stumbles and recovers. At first it only happened from a cold start. I assumed it was a dirty MAF sensor or cruddy throttle body so I ignored it for longer than I should have. It got worse and I realized that there was an issue somewhere else.
-No codes thrown. But this is just my OBDII scanner, I dont have access to VAGCOM.
-Decide its the PCV valve. It wheezes every time the engine stumbles. Replace the PCV valve. Old PCV valve gunked up (it lived a 160k mile life).
-Idle is all good now --> relief
-Notice oil leak around top end of engine and dripping to the ground --> concern
-think that the clogged PCV blew out a gasket somewhere else
- replace valve cover gasket and cracked the valve cover on the way out. Bought and installed a new cover. The gasket was definitely leaking. VC gasket was brittle and cracked apart in my hands.
-leak persists at same rate as before???
-See oil pooling underneath the exhaust manifold (see pics)
-inspect rear main seal. Completely dry.
-clean up all oil on the back of the engine.
-let idle for ~20mins and check the areas I cleaned (shown in pics), the oil is back.
-Perform head gasket leak test. Indicator fluid remained dark blue. No other head gasket leak symptoms have presented themselves. Clear exhaust, antifreeze looks clean, oil looks free of contaminants, steady idle, no performance issues. Also the drips seem to be pooling higher the the head gasket, but I could be mistaken.
-inspected around the valve cover to make sure I didn't improperly torque. No leaks, everything looks good.
-inspect vacuum pump housing for leaks (o rings replaced last summer) still dry as a bone.
-cam follower was also replaced less than 5k ago, and there is no leaking around the HPFP.

I'm running out of ideas. I cant see any split hoses or source of a gasket seepage. But the block on the drivers side from the exhaust manifold down is wet after running the engine. I've confirmed its NOT residual from the VC gasket leak. Its definitely still coming from somewhere.

I've done a decent amount of searching through the forums and have come up empty handed at this point.

Thanks in advance
Anthony

2008 VW GTI 2.0T FSI w/ 160K miles, completely stock.

(both pics are from underneath the car looking up between the back of the engine and the firewall. Looking at the top of the block and bottom of the exhaust manifold)

View attachment 61898

View attachment 61899
Hello I had the same issue with my Rabbit I found that the Oil filter canister has a seal that comes with the oil filter. My was not sealing correctly sIoput a new one filter and seal and made sure it was on correctly. I have not more oil leaks. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't isolated the source yet. I think if I remove the heat shield on the rear of the engine I should be able to get a much better view. The two bolts have triple square heads which is the only socket type I and all the stores around me don't have. I ordered a set and they should be here tomorrow....

I'll update with more info as I get it.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Hello I had the same issue with my Rabbit I found that the Oil filter canister has a seal that comes with the oil filter. My was not sealing correctly sIoput a new one filter and seal and made sure it was on correctly. I have not more oil leaks. Hope this helps.
So you had a leak at the filter housing O ring and the leak appeared on the backside of the block higher than the filter housing??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The triple square set I ordered has yet to arrive. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get the exhaust heat shield off and get a better look back there.

In the meantime I took the valve cover back off to see if I could see any leaks from the inside. There were clear water droplets beaded up in a few places on the bottom of the cover and on top of the cams. Also the inside of the oil cap looked like this.

I don't know if this is indicative of a blow head gasket or just because I've been granny cycling the engine trying to find the leak. As I mentioned before, the combustion leak test i did last week indicated no leak. The car is not my daily driver and is in storage for the winter so the only times its run in the past few weeks is every time I let it idle for ~10mins to check for leaks. So I don't know if the foamy gunk and condensation are the result of a blow head gasket or running the car without letting it get up to temp and burn off the absorbed water.

IMG_2636.jpg

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Based on what you have described about its current usage and the test performed I would say that's condensation and will go away when to start driving it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have confirmed that there is no oil leaking from anywhere along the valve over gasket or along the cam bridge seam. The top side of the exhaust manifold along the whole length is bone dry. The oil only pools along the bottom of the exhaust manifold, on those support block things. I cleaned it all up and started the cold started the car and laid underneath with a flashlight. I watched the oil bead up on the support blocks, but I cannot see where its coming from. The nuts that hold the blocks on can't be seen in the picture, but the red arrows point to them. They are soaked in oil. From what I witnessed it looks like the oil is travelling the path of the blue arrow. But again, everything north of these support blocks is bone dry as far as I can see with my mirror and flashlight...

IMG_2645_.jpg

·
Registered
248 Posts
Id recommend getting a boroscope. I got a cheap one on Amazon that attaches to my android. Min was 3mm with an led light so i could insery in to the manifold to take pics of the valve for carbon deposits.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
From the location of the supply feed line if it was leaking I think it would show up in other areas as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts