VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have been shopping around for cars for awhile now. Recently, a 2013 Golf R (6spd) popped up on my radar as well as a 2010 Audi TTS (no 6spd). Both are similar in price as well as mileage. I am looking to pull the trigger on either soon but would like to gather some opinions from those of you that presently own/owned either. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for or be aware of prior to owning?

I am a bit hesitant of getting rid of the RWD straight 6 TT for a AWD 4 banger but I miss the 3rd pedal (mine is auto) and the mileage is getting pretty high now. Please dont hate me for asking this as well, I've also been considering a WRX or WRX STI (if the price is right as well).

I'd prefer the vehicle that would sustain its value the best as well, best reliability and cost of maintenance.

Thanks! :wave:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The R and TTS are essentially the same car, with some slight improvements in the TTS, namely that it is a few hundred pounds lighter, has some upgraded suspension geometry, and a shorter wheelbase for better handling. All TTS also have MagneRide damper, while it was an option on the R. Obviously, the extra space and utility of the R is for you to evaluate as necessary for your use.

I have a MKII TTS and absolutely adore it - it handles well, is a fantastic touring car, and is gorgeous inside and out. I get compliments/stares/thumbs up pretty much every time I drive it. I love the MagneRide dampers for my city's terrible roads, yet they're still acceptable on the track. I was a die hard manual driver, but am now a DSG convert (I would never own a traditional, torque converter automatic), due to its unbeatable performance.

For either car, stage 2+ with Haldex and DSG tunes makes for a helluva good daily car, for minimal expense.

·
Registered
980 Posts
You said you missed the third pedal and yet you are looking at a tts dsg. Could it be that you bored of the 335?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The TT and Golf are very different cars inside and out excluding mechanicals. The TT will be more expensive to maintain but both cares will be expensive overall. The Golf is a people transporter and the TT is a 2 seater.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I have a 2008 Golf-based VW Touran with a 6-speed DSG currently while my R hibernates, and I absolutely *HATE* the DSG. It insists on starting in second gear in the most absurd situations -- I'd take a traditional auto over it in a heartbeat just based on the stop and go behaviour. Sports mode helps a bit, but then you rev out all the gears like a boy racer. Look at me! Look at me! I drive a people mover! LAME!

If you miss the manual, then buy a manual. :)

-Fab

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can't speak to the TTS, but the R's value will be holding well.

I say, if you want a manual.... buy the manual! the R's isn't the best feeling shifter, but once you do some mods, get a clutch, a short throw etc it's even more amazing. Even stock, it's great, but I like my VW's modded :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
My son works for BMW and gets a new one every 3000 miles. I have driven all the cars he gets (235i, M235xi, 335i and 340xi) and none comes close to the R as far a driver engagement goes. They are all faster than a stock R, but are the most disconnected cars I have driven. My wife's Acura TL is a much better driver's car than any of the above BMWs. ;-)

·
Registered
256 Posts
I own both a 2008 BMW 135i and MK6 Golf R (both are FBO) and they are 2 completely different cars. While I dont have any experience with the MK2 TT, I did have a MK1 TT and while it was fun, I enjoy the Golf more. With the Golf you sacrifice some luxury for driver engagement and utility, however I can say with assurance that comparing a FBO N54 BMW to the 2.0 KO4 R is apples to walnuts IMO, unfortunately I feel that you will be giving up quite a bit making the switch over, but its not to say that you wont enjoy the hell out of it either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts