VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in north east Florida looking for a 2016 S model with a manual transmission. I found one a few hours away, however the salesman was unwilling to negotiate without me in the showroom. Should I go in to a local dealer and see if they can do a deal on one they can get shipped or look for a dealer willing to make a deal over email/phone?

Am I being naive in thinking I will be able to negotiate over email/phone for a car multiple hours away?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I'm in north east Florida looking for a 2016 S model with a manual transmission. I found one a few hours away, however the salesman was unwilling to negotiate without me in the showroom. Should I go in to a local dealer and see if they can do a deal on one they can get shipped or look for a dealer willing to make a deal over email/phone?

Am I being naive in thinking I will be able to negotiate over email/phone for a car multiple hours away?
Dont drive down until you negotiate because whats going to happen is once youre there they prod you with a stick knowing youre not going to drive all the way down empty handed. I negotiated mine over the email before i drove down 400 miles to get mine in Redwood City CA.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Did you call the dealership or contact through the website? Many dealerships these days have an 'internet sales' department that will negotiate the entire deal over email. The 'internet sales' department is just a sales person that has been granted the rights to leads through the website. Internet sales are also more willing to give you a no-haggle price. You can probably still haggle a bit but many times it will be closer to a final price than anything you'll get on the showroom floor.

Yes, you should be able to negotiate over email but you can also contact a local dealership and have the car shipped. I would visit a local dealership as they can search inventories all over the south east. Could be more options out there than you're aware of, including cars inbound from the factory. Just let them know up front about your requirements and that you're not there to purchase just any car on the lot but a very specific car. If they can find it great, if not, don't try to sell me that 2015, white, automatic GSW buried at the back of the lot because the dealer manager has promised a $100 bonus to whoever can move it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I can't remember if I contacted the dealer through the vw website or cars.com, but I clicked on "contact dealer" and sent a message.

I'll head over to the local dealer this week and see what they can do, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

I can't remember if I contacted the dealer through the vw website or cars.com, but I clicked on "contact dealer" and sent a message.

I'll head over to the local dealer this week and see what they can do, thanks guys.
Go to truecar.com and find a fair transaction price before you go. That is how I got my awesome price.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I didn't print mine, I just showed them the price on my phone
They already had my info from truecar. Make sure you can get both the discounted price, the loyalty/whatever cash, and the current APR special combined. I initially went to my super local dealer, and they wanted to charge a crappy APR, which would have killed the benefits of of the discount. I checked with 2 other dealers, and they were both able to combine the discount and APR special. I do have the advantage of living in an area with almost 20 VW dealerships, and they move a lot of metal.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
I learned the GSW 5mt I desired was unobtainium anywhere close to home. Found the exact car I was looking for 600 miles away in Kansas. Entire transaction was over the phone. Couldn't have been easier. I shot them a figure of $19,215 (22,715 minus 1500 conquest, minus 2000 discount) I just made it simple, called, told the salesperson make that number happen with no other BS charges and I'll buy the car today. It took a couple hours of phone tag and sticking to my number but they conceded. I got my deal + $179.00 admin. Done. No reason to involve another dealer close to home. I can't help but wonder if left another $500 or $1000 on the table...
Oh well.... I'm completely happy with my purchase. The dealer, Crown Volkswagen in Lawrence, Kansas did a terrific job with all the back and forth, phone and snail mail. Not one hiccup. It can be done......

Also, you can look for the car you desire on your own. Just get on the VW.com website and look for the model you desire by surrounding zip codes. That how I found mine.

Steve weim55 Colorado

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the information guys.

I don't think I'm that specific in what I want, although 5spd seems to make it specific. I'd be happy in any color but red, and I'd prefer the beige interior.

I've checked a few close zip codes to no avail. I'll add some more to my search, the southeast just seems sparse on them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought my GSW S 5 spd in Orlando, FL but I had to have it delivered form Wisconsin to my local dealership...

As to the process:

I walked into my local dealer, told them what I wanted; 2016 GSW S 5 speed manual, did not care about the exterior or interior color.

They told me they did not have one is stock (actually there wasn't a single one in Florida at the time) but they said that if I put down a deposit on the vehicle they would find me the exact car I wanted.

After some serious thinking, I agreed to the deposit and crossed my fingers. Thankfully, after a few days (less than a week) they called back and told me they had found the car I wanted. The very next day I was at the dealership negotiating the price and purchasing the vehicle.

Very simple process but it did require patience and commitment. I was convinced I wanted this car, therefore putting down a deposit on a vehicle sight unseen was ok with me at the time, but I understand how many people would not do this.

Hope this info helps and good luck on your search, I believe you will find your dream GSW soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.