VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Audi A3 chassis may be entering its final stages of production ahead of a switch to MQB but that's not stopping Audi from going full on with an RS 3 version of the car. We've seen modified S3-bodied mules believed to be RS 3 test cars running at the ring before but the latest shots like the one above from CarSpyPhotos.com show a car a lot closer to production trim.

The most noticeable change from previous RS 3 mules is the unmistakable frowning lower fascia that has become a trademark of recent RS cars like the TTRS and the RS 5. 19-inch wheels look the part as well and we're guessing the production RS 3 will forego blister fenders like the RS 5 and RS 6 in favor of standard A3/S3 trim as was also done with the TTRS using that of TT/TTS.

So what will change for production? We're certain the grille will change to a bar-less hexagonal mesh identical to TTRS and maybe with the titanium grey finish of the one on the RS 5. Expect mirrors to match whatever the grille surround trim is. As for wheels, TTRS 5-spokers are probable but the rear wheel on this tester is interesting as it appears to be an evolution of the S5 alloy.

Under the hood you should expect the same drivetrain as the TTRS... so a 5-cylinder turbo pumping about 350 hp. Expect the car's Haldex system to also benefit from TTRS software updates as well.

Check out more photos of this latest RS 3 mule after the jump and thanks Teg for the tip.

Full Story

·
Registered
16,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

We've just finished making our post about the RS 3 and now found another set of photos on the same CarSpyShots.com website. This groups of shots show an impressively large rear spoiler seemingly angled the wrong way to create drag. CarSpyShots has two theories that the piece is either one very different mechanical spoiler design or a piece that is about to fall off.

Frankly, it could be both. The RS 5 made use of a new trunk-mount spoiler so maybe the RS 3 will get one as well. Still, while we're no aerodynamics experts we wonder if it might angle a different way when it goes into production.

Second Set of Photos Here

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

We've just finished making our post about the RS 3 and now found another set of photos on the same CarSpyShots.com website. This groups of shots show an impressively large rear spoiler seemingly angled the wrong way to create drag. CarSpyShots has two theories that the piece is either one very different mechanical spoiler design or a piece that is about to fall off.

Frankly, it could be both. The RS 5 made use of a new trunk-mount spoiler so maybe the RS 3 will get one as well. Still, while we're no aerodynamics experts we wonder if it might angle a different way when it goes into production.

Airbrake FTW! :p

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Front is ugly with those big ass air ducts, wheels are plain jane, back is ugly as always, it probably costs nearly what a GTR does, it's not coming here anyways so it doesn't matter. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I think this is a "Why?" more than anything. Who is going to buy what will doubtlessly be a €45K+ hatch, just because it's really fast? I'm sure it will be more money than a new S4, which you'd be crazy not to buy with its superior chassis and much better interior. Coming from an A3 owner!

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
22,305 Posts
They should have put a detuned version of this engine in the MKVI Golf/Jetta R.

·
Registered
1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2017 VW eGolf
7,528 Posts
maybe it's there to help keep road spray off the rear window. :p

Looking good but I really don't see them bringing this here which is too bad. :(

·
Registered
15,264 Posts

XM antenna is hanging on just fine though:laugh:

·
Registered
23,124 Posts
350 hp I5T yes please.

Please also let it be mated to torsen.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Blue, 2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
22,305 Posts
sounds pretty detuned to me :p
That's not simply a different state of tune like chipping it or like what BMW did with the engine in the early E90 325i and 330i. It's mechanically different. Even not taking into account the turbo, I think the engine itself has been mechanically altered.

·
Registered
2018 VW e-Golf, 2018 Audi RS3, 2016 BMW M235i
1,569 Posts
I doubt this is coming state-side. Any word on if we are even getting the TTRS?

·
Premium Member
11,679 Posts
That's not simply a different state of tune like chipping it or like what BMW did with the engine in the early E90 325i and 330i. It's mechanically different. Even not taking into account the turbo, I think the engine itself has been mechanically altered.
Exactly. Aside from the displacement and number of cylinders, I'm pretty sure the two power plants have virtually NOTHING in common.

That said... Sweet Mother of Jesus I want one. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Banned
26,433 Posts
Front is ugly with those big ass air ducts, wheels are plain jane, back is ugly as always, it probably costs nearly what a GTR does, it's not coming here anyways so it doesn't matter. :laugh:

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts