VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(My forum search came up empty)
I just signed the papers on a 2000 Passat wagon V6 manual - it has every option I know of but no CD changer (it was probably pulled by someone). I pick it up friday but I'm looking around at used CD options. I don't really care for changers in the rear, and I'm not forking out the cash for that new phatbox system.
First, how do I know if the system is the monsoon or not?
Next, this is a single DIN system, and I believe that there is an emply slot below which is just a storage bin now. I think I've seen both an in-dash 6-disc changer and in-dash single CD. Is this empty slot where these would go, and if so will I find the connection wire behind the bin?
Thanks for the help.
I guess I'll have to change my username now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Need 2000 Passat radio help/info (JettaTrek)

I would recommend you contact http://WWW.Crutchfield.Com to ask them what would fit your car. I've purchased many radios from them and my experience is that they have some really good people that can answer almost any question you have.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need 2000 Passat radio help/info (RobD)

Crutchfield is a good place, but I'm not looking to replace the radio, only find a used VW CD unit to install, preferably an in-dash unit. And funny enough, when I started my test drive, I turned off the radio to listen to the car. Then when I got back and started checking the little things, I somehow forgot to check the radio again. But since I listen to a lot of talk radio, I'm not really concerned if its the Monsoon system or not but now I know how to tell.
However, when I wrote this thread I didn't realize that the dash controls changed configuration from 1999 to 2000, and I was looking at my friends 1999 to see how an in-dash unit would be installed. In 2000, the heater controls were moved to the bottom, and the blank bin area was moved directly below the radio control, essentially making a double-din space. So now I see that the VW in-dash CD player installs here. I'll worry about the connection when I found a unit.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

VW has an in dash cd player or in dash 6cd changer available in Europe. Check the classifieds here
and at clubb5. I have the cd player in the top and the radio in the middle. The in dash changers are hard
to find and cost about $450.
PZ.

Modified by PZ at 1:13 PM 2-18-2004

Modified by PZ at 1:13 PM 2-18-2004

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

most vechs. were leased so the owners take them out to make a fast buck.anyway if its not inside the left rear compartment,get one from e-Bay and just plug n , play,..........got an exc. VW factory OEM unit from there for my wifes 2000 V6 wagon,.probablfrom someones lease up ex. cd changer

·
Registered
179 Posts

Last summer I got a 2000 wagon and it too had the CD player pulled. As we don't have cassettes, I purchased a single CD player Kenwood unit and had it installed. It works great, looks great and the lights on the deck match the colour scheme of the car (red and blue).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts