VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed a Cam Tensioner 1.8T. Build my own DIY

CHECK this post for DIY tool
Well as luck would have it the $3 gasket under my Cam Tensioner is leaking. And the only way to remove it is with the VAG tool 3366. I know that when you buy a new tensioner, it comes with this tool and once installed you don't need the tool anymore.
So i was hoping someone that is Driving distance from Wichita,KS. might have such a tool i could borrow for a week or so. In reality i only need it for like 10 min.

If anyone has any other suggestions i am all ears.
Thanks
http://www.ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/index2.html

UPDATE:Well after some thought and inspiration i decided to build it my self.
All you need is a M6 100MM long bolt, Big washer, Drimmel and some time.

Now Cut the edge of the washer to match the chain

I moved the chain over as much as i could and measured. 5.5MM was the distance from the chain to the two guides on the side. So i started there.

Then Lined it up and cut some more for like 20 times, untill it would freely move into the space.

Then i slowly started cranking on the bolt. Notice i did place a washer on the top/buttom.

Finally the tensioner came up and i was able to remove the faulty gasket and divit.

The washer was strong enough to compress the tensioner, but did slightly bend.

Hope this helps someone else if they are in a "pinch".

Modified by grantvisser at 6:27 AM 11-30-2006

Modified by grantvisser at 6:28 AM 11-30-2006

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Need a 1.8T Cam Tensioner Tool - Mid West (bongoRA3)

Quote, originally posted by bongoRA3 »
You don't really need the vag tool....had my head a part a couple of times and never needed any tool to hold the tensioner...

Ok, so how did you deal with the tensioner? Did you just lift the cams out with the tensioner in place?

· Registered
3 Posts
Re: Needed a Cam Tensioner 1.8T. Build my own DIY (grantvisser)

Wow, impressive ingenuity. Did you zero in on the tensioner because you had a rattle at a particular rpm or was there another reason? I have 2 rattles in drive: 1 at 1400 rpm and another at 2100 rpm. Dealer says it is reverb causing the heat shield to rattle, but I don't believe it. An old 2002 1.8T post listed a rattle problem as a bad cam tensioner, so I was glad to see your recent post. Any info is appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.