VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

One of my 1981 Sciroccos is in the shop for inop AC and the condenser has been found to be at fault. I have been searching high and low and can’t find a replacement. autozone etc list them, but when I place the order they send an evaporator instead!

I usually use Parts4VWs.com as my go-to, but they are indicating they are sold out.

The shop is getting tired of driving my car into and out of the shop every day and they don’t have time to find one for me. I’ve searched and come up empty.

Help!

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
495 Posts
I'm in the process of fixing the AC in my 1980. I went with an aftermarket generic unit and fabbed up some brackets. You could also update the compressor while you are at if if you are ambitious.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I too elected to go with a universal aftermarket condenser. I found the largest I could install and I had to make new hoses to complete the install. I used reduced barrier hoses and the fittings to match. Since I was all in, I elected to convert all the hoses to the reduced barrier type and routed all the hoses so make it easier to work in the engine compartment.

Not a Scirocco, but this was the end result.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I admire both of you for your inventiveness. But as I’m states away from the car which is in a shop, I am looking for a plug-and-play stock replace,ent so I don’t have to pay $$$$ for hours of custom work. Surely it shouldn’t be so hard to find, yet I’m striking out?

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
I'm pretty certain the condensers are the same and I spent many months looking for one. That is why I took my path. I even sent my two spares to have fixed and the shop was unable to help. You could try a radiator shop to see if you have better luck. If yours is brass/copper, you may have better luck. Mine was aluminum and I saw the person try, but it was a no go.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Success! I found several suppliers who listed the same part number for a drop-in replacement, but all were sold out. It is AC4784. I finally found it on eBay.

Some retailers were offering it for $210 plus shipping, but all were sold out. I got it for $280 with free shipping. More than I wanted to pay, but I’m glad I got it!

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
34,257 Posts
Success! I found several suppliers who listed the same part number for a drop-in replacement, but all were sold out. It is AC4784. I finally found it on eBay.

Some retailers were offering it for $210 plus shipping, but all were sold out. I got it for $280 with free shipping. More than I wanted to pay, but I’m glad I got it!

Thanks for the help!
Let us know if it fits, as it states to fit VW Rabbit, which I know is different.

Also, the OEM number listed states it fits VW Vanagon, which is also different.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The invoice states:

75-81 Volkswagen VW Cabriolet Jetta Scirocco Condenser AC4784

We shall see!

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Great to hear. I would spend the time and effort to eliminate the stiff high pressure hose from the compressor to the condenser. It's my believe the vibrations from the engine, will over time, crack the condenser. The A/C hoses are standard fittings [not metric] so you should be able to get one made with the reduced barrier hose. It should be fairly cheap. The issue will be finding someone to do it local.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks—mine is a custom install using a rotary compressor and bracket from a 1990s Golf. It required custom hoses which hopefully addressed the issues you raised. I will keep everyone posted!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm. It seems my new condenser that I paid $280 for may be vaporware. The business charged my card and even gave me a Fed Ex tracking number, but so far nothing has shipped—after 18 days. I have called and emailed the seller Friday afternoon, with no answer yet. At least I paid with my VISA so I’m not afraid of losing my money.

But I want my condenser! :banghead:

·
Registered
34,257 Posts
Hmm. It seems my new condenser that I paid $280 for may be vaporware. The business charged my card and even gave me a Fed Ex tracking number, but so far nothing has shipped—after 18 days. I have called and emailed the seller Friday afternoon, with no answer yet. At least I paid with my VISA so I’m not afraid of losing my money.

But I want my condenser! :banghead:
I hope they'll send you one, but I'm not optimistic.

The last new one I was able to purchase, I bought around 2010 or so. :(

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news. Just found out the AC shop shipped the condenser with a different tracking number than the one they told me. So while I was trying to figure out where it was, the VW shop was busy installing it and it works like a champ. It’s actually been ready for pickup for quite awhile now and they forgot to tell me!

Doh!

So, SUCCESS on the AC condenser. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Funny how things work out. Unfortunately the blood pressure was raised, but it's blowing cold in your favor.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I drove the car home from the shop today and practically froze. The new AC works GREAT!

I would include a pic but the forum software seems to no longer allow attached photos. Oh well.

The shop I bought it from was so concerned with my happiness that they actually sent TWO condensers to make sure I got one. I will be returning the second one to them tomorrow.

Overall it was a resounding success, and I can recommend AC Global a.k.a Cooler Classics highly! :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I drove the car home from the shop today and practically froze. The new AC works GREAT!
Cool!

I would include a pic but the forum software seems to no longer allow attached photos. Oh well.
You have to post the picture to a picture hosting site and (I think) make it public, then you can link to the picture.

People can see your picture hosting site if they reply to your post, so make sure there is nothing else you wanted to keep private.

I think you can also use your Facebook account. See above remark about privacy.

I have no public account on a picture hosting site so I haven't posted any of my own pictures.

There are three rows of icons above the text box. The icon to link pictures is on the second row. It's the 4th icon in the 4th group.

-OE

1 - 20 of 20 Posts