VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I walnut blasted the valves today but I have a feeling this won’t fix the misfiring / Nobody has replied back so it must not be that bad ....... The upside it will improve performance

·
Registered
16,053 Posts
Clean them while apart, it’s worse than you realize. Also you didn’t have all 4 cylinders shown. You didn’t show the spark plugs either. I’m wondering if you have an injector that’s getting bad. How bad is the misfire? Have you scanned it? Have you changed coilpacks or plugs to see if that was the issue?

No matter what clean it while it’s apart. That said it’s so easy to throw 4 injectors at it too I’d recommend that or send yours out to be cleaned.

Here is what I went through:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey G6,

Thank you for the reply. I almost finished walnut blasting the intake ports to clean the valves. They were pretty bad. I could scrape carbon off with my fingernail but with all that was wrong with the car to begin with I have a hard time believing this will solve my problem. The reason that I say that is when I first got the car it was in LIMP mode and remains in LIMP mode to this day. There was a horrible oil leak and the water pump needed to be replaced so after fixing those I figured it would at least exit limp mode but it didn't. I have no more cel codes only the blinking engine light indicating misfires. When I pull the codes its misfire on all cylinders almost. ( except for maybe 1 ) I would like to pinpoint the problem for a more scholastic approach to the fix meaning I don't want to just throw a bunch of money and parts at it to get it running. I want to find out what the proper solution is for this problem.

The one thing that I did notice when I pulled the manifold this time was a ton of gas poured out on to the ground. I have replaced the coil packs and spark plugs so I don't believe the misfire is lack of spark so its possible that a fuel injector is stuck open but I pulled them and bench tested as best I could. ( ran 12v and listened for the click ) I guess with the amount of pressure these injectors produce you are not able to test like the old school ones that have maybe 60 psi compared to like 2000 psi !

Also I did a compression test and found that I had 150 to 180 on each cylinder so I don't think it's a head gasket.

The big question then is what is causing the limp mode ? Right ? I think this may clear up some of the misfire but something tells me the limp mode will remain.

I wanted to pull the motor mounts and lower the engine and check the chain tension-er. If the timing has jumped a tooth I am guessing that it would produce the limp mode BUT ALSO allow it start right up. ( so out of time such that limp mode is the default but not out of time to the degree of "no start" ) It starts no problem however VERY VERY rough. I also get an EPC light that I believe is a leak from the air box.

So all my injectors are out of the head ....... I wish there was someone local here in San Diego that could clean the high pressure injectors but from what I understand you are not really supposed to have them cleaned. ( replace is the recommendation ) Maybe I can find a few at the junk yard to test for bad injector problem. The car sat for a year almost so not the best of gas was being ran through them when I first tried to get her running.

Anyways thanks for the response but I am betting on a timing issue because of limp mode but if you could ask your master mechanic friend what his opinion is that would be extremely helpful !

Thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
368 Posts
To be more precise, my little brother's MkVI (2016) had the walnut blasting done only to find out he had a burnt valve on a 85k mile motor. Now he's in the process of getting it all warrantied out through a third party as the VW warranty expired a while back. :mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does a burnt valve mean ? Do you mean a bent valve or do you mean the blunt end was actually burned through and was leaking ?

·
Registered
16,053 Posts
What other codes were there? That’s the key to figuring out the limp mode. If you don’t have Vag-Com then you are handicapped.

Get the injectors cleaned or replaced. Call around to the places in San Diego, it looks like there are a few. This place isn’t local but adversities they clean direct injection injectors. Direct injection fuel Injector cleaning, flow testing service Injector Rx

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No other codes but I am using an OBII reader and not the VagCom Cds....I have never used the Cds

RossTech right ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
What does a burnt valve mean ? Do you mean a bent valve or do you mean the blunt end was actually burned through and was leaking ?
It's probably due to carbon buildup which, in turn, caused the valve to no longer seat properly and allowed hot exhaust (most likely exhaust valve) gasses passed the valve and voila, rough idle, misfire, etc.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's probably due to carbon buildup which, in turn, caused ther valve to no longer seat properly and allowed hot exhaust (most likely exhaust valve) gasses passed the valve and voila, rough idle, misfire, etc.
Well I think the Walnt Blast may clear up some of the mis-firing but I am still in LIMP mode....I don't think this carbon cleaning is going to solve this ....... Need the RossTech diagostics

Im in SD know of anyone with them for a reasonable price ? I will most likely just buy them .....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes rosstech

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
G6

I have an OBII reader ..... with only misfire codes ..... Is my reader going to give me the same as RossTech ? or is Rosstech going to provide a different of diagnostics ?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi, sorry you're dealing with this one. I have been right there. When the carbon build up gets that bad, it will definitely affect the injectors. I know because after I have the valves cleaned, I was still in limp mode too. They are not impervious to wear or damage, and they cost a lot too. However, once I did that, all was back to normal. At 188k and still rolling. I would also recommend having the car scanned to really have a better heads up on the situation.

As far as a service recommendation in SD, Pure Motorsports would be the call. They will scan the car for free and give you the scenario.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, sorry you're dealing with this one. I have been right there. When the carbon build up gets that bad, it will definitely affect the injectors. I know because after I have the valves cleaned, I was still in limp mode too. They are not impervious to wear or damage, and they cost a lot too. However, once I did that, all was back to normal. At 188k and still rolling. I would also recommend having the car scanned to really have a better heads up on the situation.

As far as a service recommendation in SD, Pure Motorsports would be the call. They will scan the car for free and give you the scenario.
Hey thanks for the reply and I just got done today with the carbon cleaning and just as I suspected the car remained in limp mode. I still have misfires on Cylinders 2, 3, 4 but not one so I could take injector one put it on any of the others and determine if the injectors are failing. If the injectors are not the problem then I am back at square one and my next guess would have to be the timing.

There is a guy that rents the Ross Tech / VCDs for like $40.00 but way north of SD so if anyone knows anyone that is central on SD lmk.....

The Carbon cleaning did improve the engine performance and I do not have any other codes using an OBII reader. Also when I keep the RPMs at 3k in doesn’t misfire so its only misfiring at really low RPM.

I was thinking that I should take it up and down the freeway a couple of times just to see what happens but its not registered.

Any other ideas that I may have missed ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts