VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a truck throw a cinder into the bottom corner of my windshield and cause a crack that's about 14" long. My inspection runs out at the end of the month and it's not going to pass as is, so I need to find a reputable place quickly.

I live in eastern PA, and I've read a lot of horror stories about places like Safelite, can someone recommend a decent place to take my 07 Rabbit? I'm hoping I can get it all done before the end of the month but I don't know how long it take to actually "get in".

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Your insurance may pay for this (or most of it, at least). They'll probably want to use safelite, but it's illegal for them to force you to use their vendors. Here in KC, safelite is great. I haven't heard anything negative about them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure my deductible is something like $250, so I'm not sure insurance is going to pay for it.

I guess maybe this late in the game I can't be too picky, maybe I'll just try Safelite. I thought maybe there was a better choice around.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I believe most insurance companies will pay to get chips fixed without charging the deductible, in order to save them money vice an entire windshield. Whether they'd waive the deductible for an entire windshield is more questionable, and probably varies from insurance company to company.

When Mk5's first came out in 2005, a lot of "Safelite"-type companies were apparently having trouble removing the windshields without damaging the paint around the opening, because of the very tight tolerances on these cars. I hope they've gotten better at it over the years...

Note that even VW dealers typically send windshields out to be replaced, I'm sure to the lowest bidder. No guarantee of better work there...

Good luck, and make sure you get a good warranty on the work!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where in eastern pa.... i use a place called checkered flag auto glass. in Quakertown pa. they have done 6 windshields for me. 3 in the jetta alone. they even changed one last friday for me. never had a problem with anything, there always nice and there quick. usually the best price to.
Nice, I work in Coopersburg so Quakertown isn't far away at all. I'm going to have to look into them, how much did yours run? Isn't there some sort of debate on blue vs green glass in the Rabbits or something? Maybe they only use a certain kind and that's what I was thinking of, but I can't remember.

Definitely don't want them jacking up the paint, that's the biggest concern I had with Safelite. I'll smash them with a hammer if they do that.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Actually, do you have a number or address for them? Their web site is terrible and I can't find a location based off a PO box.

EDIT: Never mind, found it:

224 North Penrose Street
P.O. Box 483
Quakertown , PA 18951 | Map

[215.529.1614] 215.529.1614 | Fax: 215.529.5640

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice, I work in Coopersburg so Quakertown isn't far away at all. I'm going to have to look into them, how much did yours run? Isn't there some sort of debate on blue vs green glass in the Rabbits or something? Maybe they only use a certain kind and that's what I was thinking of, but I can't remember.

Definitely don't want them jacking up the paint, that's the biggest concern I had with Safelite. I'll smash them with a hammer if they do that.
i had used my insurance. but the lady i always talk to her name is kathy and she is really nice. they will even come to you. they usally just go to my my wifes work and fix it there. they have done the jetta 3 times now and not one paint issue. they are really good guys. if you talk to kathy tell here Tara Smith from the medicine shoppe sent u there. maybe u will get a better deal. just say u asked online and she recommended them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I'm ubecrew610 wife. Checkered flags phone number is 215-529-1614. The guy that always does my windshields his name is Dave. They do a lot of windsheilds for nls in coopersburg. I hope all works out. They are very fast. There usually out within 2 to 3 days. Keep me updated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had used my insurance. but the lady i always talk to her name is kathy and she is really nice. they will even come to you. they usally just go to my my wifes work and fix it there. they have done the jetta 3 times now and not one paint issue. they are really good guys. if you talk to kathy tell here Tara Smith from the medicine shoppe sent u there. maybe u will get a better deal. just say u asked online and she recommended them.
Hi I'm ubecrew610 wife. Checkered flags phone number is 215-529-1614. The guy that always does my windshields his name is Dave. They do a lot of windsheilds for nls in coopersburg. I hope all works out. They are very fast. There usually out within 2 to 3 days. Keep me updated.
Awesome, thanks to both of you (and everyone else). Interesting to hear they do a lot of work for NLS, they're literally within walking distance of where I work.

I'll give them a call today or tomorrow and see what they say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Awesome, thanks to both of you (and everyone else). Interesting to hear they do a lot of work for NLS, they're literally within walking distance of where I work.

I'll give them a call today or tomorrow and see what they say.
That's awesome and your welcome. You will probably be better using ur insurance. All Kathy will do is collect your deductible and that's all.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I would insist on OEM glass also. Fits much better.
That's another thing I wondered about. The factory glass is soft as hell, I had thousands of tiny nicks in it that made it look like someone sandblasted it. I don't want that to occur again because it's extremely distracting, I was going to look into other brands unless they fixed it in later models.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Find out if insurance can pay for it

Get an estimate from dealer, ask them who will be installing it? some dealers do it themselves...

Get estimate from couple of non-oem places as well but if you know there is a place that can provide a better glass than OEM and does a better installation job then get it from them

compare their warranties (if there is a leak down the road), find out if comes with dealer warranty or VW warranty if installed from a dealer.

If you plan to install Rain Light Sensor with Auto Dimming Mirror then get the compatible glass from the dealer, comes with black ceramic coating to glue the mirror/sensor mount.

compare everything and make the decision...

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's another thing I wondered about. The factory glass is soft as hell, I had thousands of tiny nicks in it that made it look like someone sandblasted it. I don't want that to occur again because it's extremely distracting, I was going to look into other brands unless they fixed it in later models.
The place I suggested can order OEM windshield that is what they put in my Jetta. Actually its the only glass that is made for my car. They had 3 different manufacturers. 2 of the manufacturer were for 06-08 Jetta which fit but put my mirror way to high. Come to find out my Jetta was the newer 08 which requiredthe 08-10 OEM windshield. Good luck!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.