VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up an 89 jetta diesel and i have learned that the little plastic block to the left of the steering wheel is to be pulled out after starting the car on a cold start. mine hooks to nothing it is just the end of the wire so i need to see what it looks like so i can try to duplicate it or buy a new one. if anyone could help that would be great. or has anyone ever gone without this that lives in a cold climate? thanks guys

Modified by CRXb20 at 10:10 PM 11-26-2006

· Registered
19,087 Posts
Re: need a pic of cold start timing advance for 89 jetta diesil (CRXb20)

there is a lever between the pump and block, the top of it has a hole with a screw that clamps down where the wire should go inside. It's hinged so it may of flopped over and be difficult to find, but unelss somebody broke it off it should be back there. be sure you adjust it properly so it's moved all the way to the right side of the car when the cold start is pushed in.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: need a pic of cold start timing advance for 89 jetta diesil (The_Hamster)

yeah the end of my line just ends there is no loop or anything to put a screw through. what will happen if i dont use it. i mean you are suposed to use it after you get the car started right? so will it just rough idle untill it gets warmed up or what?

· Registered
19,087 Posts
Re: need a pic of cold start timing advance for 89 jetta diesil (CRXb20)

Quote, originally posted by CRXb20 »
yeah the end of my line just ends there is no loop or anything to put a screw through.

Find it, it should be back there somewhere. Poke around and find the lever, or evidence it broke.
Quote »

what will happen if i dont use it. i mean you are suposed to use it after you get the car started right?

If you don't use it the thing will run rough when the engine is cold. You pull it out while cranking above a certain temp, and below that temp start it without the cold start and pull it after it is running. The procedure and general temps are described in your owners manual.

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: need a pic of cold start timing advance for 89 jetta diesil (The_Hamster)

The_Hamster said:
Find it, it should be back there somewhere. Poke around and find the lever, or evidence it broke.
ok just so i know i can use it without it might be a while before i can fix it properly but basically if i cant find the end of it i might be able to get away with curling the end into a hoop and running a small bolt & nut through the lever, as long as it opens and closes the whole way?

· Registered
25 Posts
if its starting rough (which it probably will be) without the coldstart pull, just rest your foot on the gas ever so slightly to raise the rpm by just a little until it is idling more smoothly, thats half of what the cold start thingie does anyway

· Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (maximumdonkey)

lots of great info guys, thanks alot, it should be on the road this week, i want to get a good battery before i go and get it out for my permenent car, what kind of battery would you guys recomend and where can i get it, i need to get the most bang for my buck because this is just a winter car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.