VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Jetta 2.0l

So it appears my steering rack has seen it's last ride. I got a guote from the dealer for parts ($1000) and labor ($800). Unfortunately, i'm poor. So, i'm hoping to be able to pull this off myself. I know, i know, gotta pull the subframe, pain in the a**, but it's my only choice.

So where can i get the parts for cheaper?

Parts store?

Any good aftermarket brands anyone knows of?

I'm thinking of checking the local junk yards. Does anyone know what other models/years have the same setup? Is this rack in the 2.0 pretty standard for VW?

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
ZF makes VW steering racks. You can get a rebuilt ZF rack from ecstuning for $423.06. I would stay away from a parts store. I hate Napa, Schuck's/O'Reily, AutoZone, etc. They don't make quality parts. You can get used one. There are four part numbers I show:

1J1 422 063 BX/PX/FX (with sport suspension)
175 422 061 X (with all-season tires)
1J1 422 063 M (without all-season tires)

Looks like just about any Golf, GTI, Jetta, or Beetle steering rack will work.

Labor is 3.9 hours with transfer of parts (from AllData labor guide)

You will need an alignment afterwards.

Hope all that helps. Also, the dealer is way overcharging on the labor. I could see a bill of $1200-$1300 but not $1800

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steering Rack DIY - 2002 New Beetle 2.0

thanks for the help guys.

BTW, anyone happen to know if there is a DIY write-up anywhere? i searched with no luck.

Did you every find a DIY write-up anywhere on replacing the rack?

My daughter's 2002 Beetle left a big puddle in the driveway. The Power Steering reservoir is empty. The dealer says it's probably the rack because he sells more racks (to solve power steering fluid leaks) than pumps, hoses and clamps combined.

I'm planing for the worst and hoping for the best. My son and I are going to climb under the car tonight to find the source of the leak. I'm going to stop by the dealer and get a bottle of the $22.57/liter PS fluid on the way home from work tonight.

What repair manual is best for the New Beetle? Haynes, Bentley, ???

Bob
Beaver, PA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.