VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I already performed a search and found mostly stuff on which gauges to run with a turbo... but that's not my issue... at least not for a few more years. At that point I'll be running oil pressure, boost and EGT.

Here's the deal, I will be relocating the stereo this summer to the center console and I will be getting the 3-gauge panel to fit the radio slot. I am definitely getting an oil pressure gauge (I despise not knowing my oil pressure), but I'm torn on the other two. I'm thinking oil temp and voltage would be nice even though I have oil temp available in the MFA display. The other thing I'm considering is running the EGT now to keep an eye on the mixture (this is my non-stock 2.0 16V we're talking about) which would mean eliminating either the oil temp gauge or the voltage gauge.
What would you guys do?
Second question: where did you get your M10x1 tee fitting for running the oil pressure gauge while still using the stock idiot light switch? Maybe I didn't look hard enough at Home Depot, but would AutoZone or someone carry something like that?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question. If I went with the two-pole VDO sending unit for the oil pressure, which of the switches would I be replacing? There's the high limit (0.75-1.05 bar) and the low limit (0.25 bar). I would think it best to replace the high limit, but maybe not. The high limit only tells you if you have low oil pressure (1.05 bar = 15.2 psi) at high rpm, right?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (CrazyMonkey)

the dual pole goes on the side of the head.
i am not big on voltage guages.... i mean how often does on check their voltage? ok.... 14 volts... and... still 14 volts...

EGT if your getting boost, and slap your boost guage in now if you want, you already have oil temp in your mfa, so what more do you NEED?

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (The_Hamster)

Quote, originally posted by The_Hamster »
the dual pole goes on the side of the head.

On a 16V, both pressure senders are on the filter flange and the temperature sender is on the head.
i am not big on voltage guages.... i mean how often does on check their voltage? ok.... 14 volts... and... still 14 volts...

Yeah, I'm kind of hung up on that too. If my battery dies, I get out the multimeter. I was just trying to think of a somewhat useful gauge to take up a hole in the slot until I got the boost gauge...
I guess I could get a boost gauge now if it also reads vacuum... I just think it would be weird to have without the turbo that's still a few years out.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts

Quote »
On a 16V, both pressure senders are on the filter flange and the temperature sender is on the head.

i never looked to see if you had an 8 or 16v, sorry, lol.

if it's gonna be YEARS, then you could get one of them economy guages, reads high/low economy by the vaccum etc, that'd be different at least. Or a mixture guage, or a more accurate water temp guage.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts

use a single pole pressure sender w/ a t fitting or reloaction kit. for some reason, 16v's dont like a matching DP sender and will stil cause buzzing problems.BTW- its the front sender on the oil flange housing that wil be shared/ T fitted. it has a range and 1.8 bar is the average.
eguages.com is a great start.
I like the volt guage. Lets me know battery condition b4 starting in freezing temps, also good for running system/acc. w/o car being on. I can take er down till 11 b4 I have to restart and charge the batt.
water temp?
Oil temp?
volts?
head temp?
oil pressure?
A/F
tranny oil temp?
fuel pressure

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i never looked to see if you had an 8 or 16v, sorry, lol.

He-he. It's all good. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
My father's old '64 Ford F-250 has one of those economy gauges in it. It's pretty funny because when you are cruising in the "economy" range you are still only getting like 10 mpg.

I thought about water temp too, but the stock gauge seems to do a good job. It's not like the gauge in our '98 Passat that stays at 190 degrees after the engine warms up no matter what you do (on a 1.8T no less). I can actually see my stock temp gauge move around like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (gtimagic)

Quote, originally posted by gtimagic »
use a single pole pressure sender w/ a t fitting or reloaction kit. for some reason, 16v's dont like a matching DP sender and will stil cause buzzing problems.BTW- its the front sender on the oil flange housing that wil be shared/ T fitted. it has a range and 1.8 bar is the average.
eguages.com is a great start.
I like the volt guage. Lets me know battery condition b4 starting in freezing temps, also good for running system/acc. w/o car being on. I can take er down till 11 b4 I have to restart and charge the batt.
water temp?
Oil temp?
volts?
head temp?
oil pressure?
A/F
tranny oil temp?
fuel pressure

Thanks for the help. I just replaced my high limit switch last weekend. The Bentley says it's 1.8 bar, but the mechanic at our local shop said that VW stopped making those and changed the high limit to 1.05 bar (which is what my new switch is). The mechanic also told me that the low limit switch was changed from 0.3 bar to 0.25 bar. Weird, but I guess good to know.

Yeah, I think I'm leaning toward oil pressure, voltage and EGT at this point. Thanks again for the responses. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
250 Posts

You certainly would be wasting money on a voltage gauge. Better get yourself a air/fuel mixture gauge. It will be much more usefull.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (WildBill)

Well, the only useful A/F gauge (IMO) is one run off a wideband O2 sensor. All the others only tell you rich-lean-rich-lean-rich-lean.... and if I put in an A/F gauge, I want to know exactly what my air/fuel ratio is. That's why I'm thinking about the EGT. It's cheaper than the wideband O2 sensors and gauges, but will give me a good idea of how rich or lean the engine is running and not just if it's rich or lean.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

I'm running boost and I use the following gauges...
-Coolant Temp
-Oil Temp
-Oil Press
-Boost
-EGT
-AFR
All are mechanical except for the EGT and AFR. Now, the AFR isn't a wideband, but let's face it... you're not going to tune with an incar gauge anyway. So the narrow band AFR does a fine job of "keeping an eye on things". I like the mechanical gauges b/c they have a larger sweep, which gives you a better feel for rate of change. Like, wow, my temp is climbing FAST!

Old Pic:

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (vdubturbo)

Ha! There's a pic I remember!

Quote, originally posted by vdubturbo »
Now, the AFR isn't a wideband, but let's face it... you're not going to tune with an incar gauge anyway. So the narrow band AFR does a fine job of "keeping an eye on things".

Yeah, I guess that's true. Good point.
I'm just not sure, aesthetically speaking, about the A-pillar pods. I guess it would be nice to keep my little cubby in the center console free though, so maybe when I go turbo I'll have to mount some stuff on the A-pillar. I like a lot of gauges.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

You know, I thought about it a bunch. I am not big on the a-pillar look myself. But, I did notice its a whole lot easier for me to read those gauges than it is for me to look down at my temps.
So, I'm stuck with them for the time being... unless I can find a HUD.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (vdubturbo)

Quote, originally posted by vdubturbo »
So, I'm stuck with them for the time being... unless I can find a HUD.

A heads-up display would rock. If you find one (**cough**cheap**cough**) let me know.

·
Registered
15,622 Posts

Quote, originally posted by CrazyMonkey »

I'm just not sure, aesthetically speaking, about the A-pillar pods. I guess it would be nice to keep my little cubby in the center console free though, so maybe when I go turbo I'll have to mount some stuff on the A-pillar. I like a lot of gauges.

AFR

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1224767

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Need advice and have a question on supplemental gauges (Batan)

Ha-ha!
I'm still thinking about getting your A/F gauge too for fun. Expect an e-mail or IM about it this summer. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts