VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’m considering swapping a DSG into my 2008 Passat. Engine code BPY.

Anybody ever done it?
Can you point me to references?

What transmission codes will fit the BPY? I found a used DSG, transmission code LTK. It came from a 2010 Passat—engine code CCTA.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I’ve been extremely busy. I was just wondering if people have done it successfully. What wiring needs to be changed. What are some of the pitfalls. I don’t have detailed questions yet, but I might if I decide to do it. I have the Bentley manual, OBDELEVEN. Am familiar with cars. I’m considering picking one up at the junkyard—condition unknown. Wondering if the TCM will be good. I’d replace all the solenoids while it was out.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I’ve been extremely busy. I was just wondering if people have done it successfully. What wiring needs to be changed. What are some of the pitfalls. I don’t have detailed questions yet, but I might if I decide to do it. I have the Bentley manual, OBDELEVEN. Am familiar with cars. I’m considering picking one up at the junkyard—condition unknown. Wondering if the TCM will be good. I’d replace all the solenoids while it was out.
Thanks for your help
Well it’s “plug and play” just be sure the transmission that you grab from the yard matches. ( I don’t know why this is a thing but it is / I guess if it’s not the same code it will not work ) Plugs will match right up if you have the same code. Get the VIN and call the dealer to make sure it matches the code from yours.

What year is it ? The reason I ask is the 06 & 07 are know to have a defective tranny so you run the risk of picking one up that has the defect. Don’t pay more than $400.00

How big are you? I did one on the ground and one with a lift. I’m 5’8” and II’ll never do it on the ground again. Exhausting ! And the tranny is heavy. You will be surprised how easily it comes out though. Do it using a lift. You’ll need a cross bar to hang the engine. Harbor freight sells them for like $75.00.

When you say the TCM do you mean the valve body ? Bc I didn’t swap it on the 06 or 2010 and haven’t had a issue I think. The 10 shifts a little funny but I think it’s low on tranny fluid.

2nd time around was far easier than the 1st but again I had a lift the 2nd. (Lift is like GOLD )

Here is my number if you run into problems during the swap. My name is Matt

619 651 6106

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dude I really appreciate you putting your number in there for questions. My name’s Justin. Yeah I’m actually swapping my current 09G automatic transmission for the 02E DSG transmission. The direct shift transmission. So the wiring will be different, as well as the shift cable, a few coolant lines etc. BUT, it should basically be plug and play. I will have to change the electrical connector, but that’s ok. I know it will bolt right up to my engine. The TCM is the transmission computer, housed in the valve body. I plan on doing this with a transmission jack, 2 people, on the ground.
Tranny from 2010 Passat
I want the sportiness of the DSG, while also prolonging the life of my car. It has 180,000 miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts