VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good friend that really want to buy this car. Its red, 16v, leather sunroof etc. The car is mint inside out. It has 104,000 miles. They want 2700 for it which is not bad considering the condition of the car.
I need to know how reliable this car is, well 16v acctually. common problems and if its worth it?
Please let me know!

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
Re: Need advise on buying a B3 Passat! (passaturbo)

The only thing I know of is the timing belt should be change as soon as you get the car. If it snaps your lookin at a bottom end rebuild http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need advise on buying a B3 Passat! (jay_vw)

I know I told him that. Im not sure if it was changed or not but.
How much would he be looking at for belts and how hard of a job is it? Im probably going to have my friend change it, he works at VW dealer but has no experiance or knowledge on this car.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts

The belt shouldn't cost much & its the labour that hurts. But having a friend work at the dealer should be helpful http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
965 Posts

Common expensive items to look at on early 16v B3 Passats.
Timing belt, If it goes, total upper end rebuild which costs about ~1500.00
Head gasket leaking
engine motor mounts worn out.
Auto's last about ~100kmiles
fan speed selector switch becomes unfunctional.
Heater core. Our's went at 112Kmiles and VW paid for the complete repair. This was a known problem which in many cases, was replaced under a recall. In our case, I called VW and they told me to take it to a dealer. If the failure was the due to the same as the reason for the recall(my car was not one of the recalled) VW would assist in the repair(~$1000.00). I got a call from the dealer that VW paid everything.
One more thing, '92 was the latest year of the 16v 2.0L Passats, and the best example of that model.
They are fun. Good luck to your friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.