VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, i am going to run standalone in my 85 gti (full ce2 swap) with the aeb 1.8t big turbo. i heard that there are some companies that make a SELF LEARNING standalone with the lambda sensor.

does anyone have info on this? or possibly anyone in here running this? i would like find out what companies offer this option in their standalone to make life much simpler in the long run. thank you ahead of time for any info

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Megasquirt and Tuner Studio tuning software. Lots of people using MS on VWs . My buddy runs his AWW 1.8t powered Corrado with MS. Tuner Studio has an auto tune feature called VE Analyse Live that is AMAZING.

Bear in mind that no matter what standalone system you choose, there is a healthy amount of tinkering/work involved in getting it running properly on your car. NOBODY builds a standalone that self installs or has the perfect tune for your (any) car out of the box. I personally like Megasuirt because it is very inexpensive, flexible, reliable and has the best tuning software and support groups (MS and MSextra Forums) I have ever used. And I have used a lot of different standalone systems.

just my 0.02

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well this is my first time using standalone, I know there will be a good amount of tinkering. I just figured having a self learning setup would make it just a little easier. Does Ms or msextra offer a self learn?

· Registered
4,807 Posts
Just an honest question, with software like eurodyne's Maestro 7 suite, Why wouldnt you get a AWP wiring harness(s) and Ecu and use that?

The motor will run 100% right off of the bat, and you'll have ( basically ) any option with the motor from then on.

· Registered
108 Posts
I have been reading up about this megasquirt standalone system an it is VERY interesting and looks like fun but, I'm still not understanding it. I have read the MSI, MSII, and MSNSpark manual and they make it seem very complicated but it kinda seems very very stupidly simple but I'm not sure about the advantages of doing it this way. If you plan on following through with doing it this way than maybe we can help eachother out. Again it seem pretty simple to me, let me know how it's been going for you.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
Well this is my first time using standalone, I know there will be a good amount of tinkering. I just figured having a self learning setup would make it just a little easier. Does Ms or msextra offer a self learn?
Any Megasquirt system is capable of autotuning with an oxygen sensor (preferably a wideband) if you use Tuner Studio. Basically there are 3 serious versions of tuning software available for MS.

Megatune which is free and supports all MS1 and MS2 fimware versions normal or extra.
Megatunix which is designed for Linux but can be run on a windows based PC with a boot CD. It also supports MS1 and MS2 and is free.
Tuner Studio MS: available in a free "lite" version that works great and supports all MS firmware including MS3, but has autotuning ,trigger logger and custom dashes locked out. The full version is $40 and worth every penny. Custom Dash layouts, autotuning, trigger logger (awesome for diagnosing rpm drops) are just some of the things it is capable of.

All standalone systems require a certain amount of setup with the tuning software to get the car started and the quality of the tuning software makes or breaks the system. Example: AEM systems, utterly killer hardware that can control just about anything on a car but the tuning software and firmware is so bad that the hardware is almost useless.

· Registered
1,844 Posts
do you have any experience with tuning or any friends with some, if not i would stay away.
i myself have a haltech sport 1000 ecu in my audi and its a great system with a lot of options and would recommend it to anyone interested in runing a aftermarket ecu.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have A number of friends using standalone. my issue is I'm sure not many of them would be willing to help. I would be very interested in picking up a standalone system pre-wired and possibly big Turbo tune. Then all I would have to do is modify it to my ce2 fuse box... correct?

· Registered
4,807 Posts
Get a complete engine harness and ECU from an AWP, it will be infinitely easier getting your car running making power without risking blowing your motor up, get good gas mileage and will drive like stock.
This, yes.

in the grand scheme of things, it works out to be the same price ( if not less ) and its 100% drivable.

· Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's the differemce between the awp harness and Ecuador opposed to my current aeb?? The purpose of me wanting to run standalone is to pull stock 20v, drop in bt motor, and wont have to worry about paying out the nose for sofware I cannot adjust. Plus it would stop the ignition cut caused by the vss signal.

· Registered
5,540 Posts
Your choices really depend on your budget. They will also depict your outcome and capabilities with the ecu.

Most of the ecu installs I have been around and done were autronic ecus.

I like them very much an am a dealer for them. I have used and been around other systems like vipec, motec and vems based ecus, and they are all nice.

Luckily in the next few months AEM plans on launching there V2 ecu as a plug and play for VW/Audi 20v so we wont have to rely on lower grade ecus and poor customer service, we will be able to get a true PnP system that requires no hardware changes.

This unit will support drive by wire.

With that being said if you can put it off for a bit it may be worthwhile doing what was mentioned above, just picking up a used AWP harness for 100-150$ and buying an aem box when they come out.

We will have them available and in stock at the time of release.

Ed- FFE

· Registered
4,807 Posts
What's the differemce between the awp harness and Ecuador opposed to my current aeb?? The purpose of me wanting to run standalone is to pull stock 20v, drop in bt motor, and wont have to worry about paying out the nose for sofware I cannot adjust. Plus it would stop the ignition cut caused by the vss signal.
You could get your hands on an ECU/Harness for ~$200 or less, Get an immo defeat for $40, and the car would be up and running 100%.

Then when you're ready to go BT, Get Meastro 7 from Eurodyne, yes, its $900 but you'll get an awesome BT file along with the ability to change anything you want.

and in the grand scheme of things, that really isnt paying out the nose.. Getting a shop to dyno/road tune the car to work out bugs is worth ~$80-200/hour and it would take ~6 hours to work out 80% of the things "wrong" with the standalone's program.

· Registered
962 Posts
~$80-200/hour and it would take ~6 hours to work out 80% of the things "wrong" with the standalone's program.
I'm sorry but I must disagree with this statement. The last time I had my Autronic SM4 Tuned it took my tuner about 1.5hrs to get the tune perfect. If you have a good tuner that knows the system standalone can be VERY easy and will allow you to do ANYTHING you want.

· Registered
4,807 Posts
I'm sorry but I must disagree with this statement. The last time I had my Autronic SM4 Tuned it took my tuner about 1.5hrs to get the tune perfect. If you have a good tuner that knows the system standalone can be VERY easy and will allow you to do ANYTHING you want.
Granted it can happen, i was aiming at more of a common situation where someone takes their car to a shop that doesn't do these kinds of setups weekly and know what the motor likes/needs/etc.

and how did he nail it 100% in 1.5 hours? was it only WOT? Cold start? hot starts? warm up? loaded idles ( Alt and etc on ) unloaded idle?

there are so many angles to a 100% tune that i honestly couldn't see done in 1.5 hours.

· Banned
23,624 Posts
I currently run ME7 with uniteonic in my 84 GLi, I will be switching to maestro, with over 400whp and the ability to fine tune and adjust for my setup, and to create maps. it's a no grainer for me. and it's my daily as well

· Registered
2001 AWD New Beetle, 2013 Audi S5
640 Posts
Granted it can happen, i was aiming at more of a common situation where someone takes their car to a shop that doesn't do these kinds of setups weekly and know what the motor likes/needs/etc.

and how did he nail it 100% in 1.5 hours? was it only WOT? Cold start? hot starts? warm up? loaded idles ( Alt and etc on ) unloaded idle?

there are so many angles to a 100% tune that i honestly couldn't see done in 1.5 hours.
Ha, thats what I was thinking, the cold start alone takes atleast one cooloff, low load fuel and timing, pid for boost control..etc

· Banned
23,624 Posts
my dbw setup with 80mm tb has more response than adbc system.

also autronic, maestro, uni etc can doalotthrough the dbw system. traction control, w/m regulation, flat shift, launch control, and it will compensate for human stupidity, keeping things efficent and safe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.